Please help me find an enjoyable game - I'm starved ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonmatic

Jul 13, 2013
Try Napoleon Total War. It's a different take on the original Total War formula since it's in the gunpowder era, but it looks fantastic and the artillery makes the game. I couldn't get enough of my artillery batteries thundering away, shaking the ground, and raining down on enemy infantry lines. When you pan over to the enemy lines taking fire it's really harrowing - cannonballs whizzing right overhead or blasting into the ranks. It's pretty unique and worth a try. The campaign and maps are nothing special - it's really the combat and amazing sound effects that make the game.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Metro redux games (Stalker like) On sale at Steam
Older games: Max Payne 1 and 2 only Not 3 (Atmosphere, story)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Painkiller (Gold or Black eds)
Clive Barker's Undying
No one lives forever 1 and 2
Of course, it's extremely difficult to recommend games to anyone else. These are games I like...you may hate them. I was never into strategy games, so have no idea about that genre.

The Wife

Daru2707

Nov 18, 2012
So summing up all your replies - looks like I'm starting to see a light in the tunnel ;)

Some of the things you mentioned I already played so from the others I think I mostly need to try Attila, Napoleon, GTAV, Witcher 3 ( duh ... everybody's recommending it even though I'm turned off by Witcher 2, but I guess I have to give it a go some day :p ), Starcraft 2 and maybe Company of Heroes for multiplayer, Fallout 4 or 3 with mods ( although modding is hella head-spinning for me ), FEAR, Amnesia ( was always scared to play them lol ), might try Wasteland 2, Mount & Blade for sure ( although I wanted to wait for the sequel, but yeah why not ;) ).

I saw the crazy Metro Redux sale on Steam - I actually bought it and honestly so far it's good ! It runs pretty OK on my PC which is surprising, since the game looks awesome and was always mentioned as a graphic benchmark.

So yeah trying that Metro actually might be a turning point towards me unlocking my WoW+LoL routine, and opening my mind to try titles mentioned above ;D

AND of course :

@ WildW - I tried to reply to your PM but it didn't allow me to do it ( under 25 posts duh ... ) - huge thank you and I will definitely try it :)

Also I used my code for Hitman Absolution that I got with the graphics card and even though it gets mixed reviews I think I'll try it.

Things are looking good so far - so thank you all for suggestions, of course if you have more I'm more than open to hear them :)

And sorry for offending sci-fi loving community :p

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Check Out Divinity Original Sin. Pretty old school isometric RPG with an interesting story and little hand holding.

Legend of Grimlock 1 and 2 are pretty good party based RPG's with a heavy puzzle element.

Dark Souls series seems to have everything you want. It is story rich (though the story is hard to piece together), its hard as hell (certainly no hand holding), its a pseudo RPG (you can start out with a character that has nothing except rags on his back if you want), and the atmosphere is great. I never found them scary in the traditional sense, but I was certainly nervous/at full attention at all times due to the death system. There is a reason that the series motto is "Prepare to die . . . a lot." FWIW, Dark Souls 1 and 2 are the last two games in recent memory that I have finished multiple times.

If you did not like witcher 2 (I personally did not either), than I don't think you will like witcher 3 either. For me, I just don't like the world and I really can't stand Geralt. I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't enjoy that series of games.

Last edited:

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
"So yeah trying that Metro actually might be a turning point towards me unlocking my WoW+LoL routine, and opening my mind to try titles mentioned above ;D"

When I read this part then it hit me. You are hooked on that crack. I'm going to say it if no one else will. Drop the sub to WoW and stop playing LoL. Then you will discover the lovely world of pc gaming.

So many games to chose from. You just have to make the first move.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
"So yeah trying that Metro actually might be a turning point towards me unlocking my WoW+LoL routine, and opening my mind to try titles mentioned above ;D"

When I read this part then it hit me. You are hooked on that crack. I'm going to say it if no one else will. Drop the sub to WoW and stop playing LoL. Then you will discover the lovely world of pc gaming.

So many games to chose from. You just have to make the first move.

This. Take this advice.
Also, did you try Dragon Age Inquisition? It does not have the D&D style battle that you so despise. It's all in real time.
Give Metal Gear Solid 5 a try too.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I feel you pain. I paddle in the same boat as you...

But you are more genre bound then I. Recently I found a game keeping me up till 5AM, Cities Skylines. Probably not for you, but it has ended my quest over the last 5 years for a game that could hold my attention for more then 10 hours.

sveer

Nov 16, 2015
Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity....A newly come out Fallout 4 which can be a nice time-killer for a few days. Especially, if you use game trainers in the game.

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
So to sum up I like RTS/RPG/first person/thriller/horror games the most. But I .......
What I TRIED and hated/disliked ( just examples ):
1. From RPG genre :
a) Skyrim - I liked it at first but then it turned me off just like Oblivion and Morrowind, because the world didn't feel really alive, the story wasn't interesting, and it just got tedious and boring.
b) Dragon Age Origins - that closed world divided into claustrophobic regions really turned me off - also the combat is meh, I don't really like D&D type of combat, I like real time block/parry/attack combat.
c) Witcher 2/3 - pretty much just like DA:Origins - not really open world, plus I don't like games when I can't CREATE my character, also combat in Witcher 2 made me uninstall the game within an hour. I felt like playing freaking Batman - mashing one button and still winning, ugh.
d) Fallout 3/New Vegas - same like Skyrim - they seem too tedious to me, with wooden animations and generally I couldn't convince myself to play them more. I have high hopes for Fallout 4 though - might get it soon.

For RPG, have you tried Dark Souls 1+2. The combat really sets it apart from other hack and slash rpgs and I really liked it because you have to be very deliberate when choosing moves and you said you don't like dumbed down mechanics (I don't mind Batman myself). Demon Souls is very similar from what I've been told.

Shadows of Mordor was really good imo but the combat is similar to Batman. I cheated abit by overwriting savegames if I died so boss type enemies don't become tougher when you die.

Metal Gear solid series had 2 recent titles ported to windows which were highly rated.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I am currently playing Darksiders 2. A revamp came out this month, the Deathinitive Edition. I have played a rogue for 10 years in WoW (until WoD finally killed the last love I had for WoW). Darksiders makes me feel a bit like a dual-sword-wielding rogue in a single-player game. The art-style reminds me of WoW. (Supposedly because the WoW-team was inspired by this guy, who did the art for Darksiders 2). The combat is designed for controllers, so there are a lot less buttons to press during combat than in WoW. (I play with trackball and joystick, which is basically the same as mouse and keyboard. I never use controllers). You can buy extra skills, but those enable combos (combinations and sequences of your main attack buttons). There is a little RPG, you do quests, you gather items to improve your stats, you explore dungeons. A fun thing is that you have to solve these little puzzles while moving through dungeons.
Overall I really enjoy the game. You might too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksiders_II

If you want to play a game from your "golden age" (1998-2000), you might want to try System Shock 2. It is a shooter/rpg in a scifi setting. But it's pretty good. It is considered a true classic. I think GOG and Steam sell the enhanced version, which runs on modern PCs/Win[78X] without problems. If you decide to give it a try, play as a Marine, focused on using guns (there are Navy/engineer and OSA/psionic powers paths, but they are much harder).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2

A relatively new game that isn't mentioned often is Dying Light. Released in January 2015. It surprised me, I really enjoyed the game. And I even finished it. You are in a city (with 2 large maps/quadrants), with a lot of zombies. The fun part is the movement. You can run around like a parkour-guy. Climbing on buildings, jumping from building to building, jumping over zombies, making all kinds of nice moves. And in the mean time you can kill hordes of zombies too, if you want. (I used swords and katanas, and felt a bit like my rogue in WoW again. :)) The story is nothing special, the combat is nothing special. But the graphics are pretty good. And again, the movement is the best I've ever seen in any game. I really enjoyed zipping through the city with loads of zombies chasing me. And the day/night cycle is brilliant. Check it out, you might give it a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOjVComJHeg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_Light

Last edited:

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I'd recommend "Life is Strange" - I played through all the chapters this weekend and thought it was a really compelling story game.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I second the suggestions to try Shadow of Mordor (much better combat "feel" than the Arknam series), Dark Souls 1 (for brutal, slow-paced, combat), Life is Strange (really good story-based interactive game), and Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain (good stealth Rambo 2 gameplay)

One game I would add is Red Orchestra 2 which you can find for $5 during Steam sales. It is realistic one-shot kill WWII FPS multiplayer. The mechanics are such that experienced players instinctively resemble actual soldier movements in shows like Band of Brothers.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Cloning Clyde
Pac Man Championship Edition DX
Postal 2
Psychonauts
Rayman Legends
Rayman Origins
Sonic Generations
Trackmainia (any of them)
You Dont Know Jack

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Mad Max
GTAV

Try those out. I, like you, got Skyrim years ago and shelved it for the same reasons. I tried again a few months ago and it finally hooked me. I say give that another try.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
You may have just out grown gaming in certain ways. All I can play now without feeling like I'm wasting time or completely bored are competitive online games -Dota 2 and SC2.

Single player gaming very rarely gets me hooked any more. I did finish the new SC2 campaign, but that only took 2 days. I can't imagine pouring 100 hour into any of the gigantic games that are out these days like Fallout, GTA, MGS etc. Just feel like I'm watching a really bad version of a movie or show. Would rather just watch something at that point.

I can grind hours on Dota or Sc2 with my friends though and not get tired of it. Used to play all the single player games when I was in high school/college. Now though... they just seem lame.

pugh

Sep 8, 2000
I'm reverse of you. I have tired of the online gaming community to a degree and no longer look to buying games based on MP. I really enjoy the SP rpg games and other genre's instead. Just easier than grinding in the always "stay ahead" MP games mentality.

There are so many great SP games that it is hard to begin to even name them all.

You can have that MP stuff. Long gone for me. Could be I have out grown the young crowd that are around today in them too. Heck who knows...

kommisar

May 21, 2012
I too was jaded about gaming but then I realized I was only considering AAA titles which have become much too samey in their themes and gameplay. I went looking for games of vintage genres with focus on gameplay rather than graphics. I am currently intrigued by Cardhunter, Galax-Z and Shovel Knight. Check out the nooks and cranies of the gaming world.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
For the older games, remember that there are often mods which make them much, much prettier and/or fix problems.

If you play Fallout 3 or New Vegas, watch the Gopher modding series on Youtube. He walks you right through the mods so you install the ones that don't conflict, which makes the process much more satisfying if you are new to mods. Personally I'd still recommend Fallout 4 first since it actually runs and looks good without undertaking a thesis-level commitment.

If you play Fallout New Vegas, I recommend starting with the excellent Project Brazil. Unfortunately this excellent mod was never finished, but as an alternative start it was to me a much more interesting beginning. You level up quickly, get some decent armor and weapons, and after the finished part have the opportunity to be dumped into Good Springs able to take on most of what surrounds you with a decent chance even assuming you play with the realism and difficulty-enhancing mods I use.

For the original STALKER, there is a massive mod called Lost Alpha that some swear by. It's pretty much a reworking of the game's main plot. Personally I did not care for it and played only a few hours, but a lot of people love it.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Enjoying AS:S so far...

Running great on PC, leveling system, met Charles Dickens and Alexander Graham Bell so far...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone

... I have and WHY I like them :

a) ROME : Total War ( first one ) with RTR mod. I like it because I like RTS games and this one combines nice strategy aspect with real time battles which is fun, the battles are satisfying, the politics and moves around the tactical map are fun and deliver A LOT of tension - and I just enjoy playing it from time to time, there is nothing that would turn me off, besides some combat bugs but well, it's an old game.

b) Commandos 1/2 - i don't think it needs introduction - it's just a crazy good game, and I like returning to it even today.

c) STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat - both with Atmosfear mods, gameplay tweak mods, graphic mods. After modding they look AMAZING, the gameplay is smooth, atmosphere is out of this world, IMMERSION is just incredible, the world feels alive, it's scary as hell too, just everything about this game is what I expect from a first person thriller.

d) Jagged Alliance 2 - HUGE sentiment for this game - and with patch 1.13 this game became perfect. Creating my own mercenaries the way I want them to be, no hand-holding, free to explore the island, perfect tactical turn based combat, graphics just perfectly clear to be able to see everything, immersion enhanced by creating your own mercs, RPG elements, just <3.

And umm ... add WoW and LoL to this and it's pretty much it .....

So to sum up I like RTS/RPG/first person/thriller/horror games the most. But I like other genres too. What I NEED from games is immersion ( created by gameplay+graphics+connection with the character ), atmosphere, good story, no dumbed down combat, no hand holding, no perk/achievement unlocking, and again immersion immersion immersion and good gameplay.

What I TRIED and hated/disliked ( just examples ):

1. From RPG genre :

a) Skyrim - I liked it at first but then it turned me off just like Oblivion and Morrowind, because the world didn't feel really alive, the story wasn't interesting, and it just got tedious and boring.

b) Dragon Age Origins - that closed world divided into claustrophobic regions really turned me off - also the combat is meh, I don't really like D&D type of combat, I like real time block/parry/attack combat.

c) Witcher 2/3 - pretty much just like DA:Origins - not really open world, plus I don't like games when I can't CREATE my character, also combat in Witcher 2 made me uninstall the game within an hour. I felt like playing freaking Batman - mashing one button and still winning, ugh.

d) Fallout 3/New Vegas - same like Skyrim - they seem too tedious to me, with wooden animations and generally I couldn't convince myself to play them more. I have high hopes for Fallout 4 though - might get it soon.

e) KOTOR - I hate Star Wars

f) Mass Effect - again, I'm not really into sci-fi. I LOVE astronomy, but not really sci-fi.

g) Kingdoms of Amalur - it's WoW single player, meh

2. Other than RPG :

a) Batman series - horrible combat, couldn't stand more than 15 minutes in the game

b) I like racing games but every new Need for Speed is arcade, every new rally game is arcade, after playing Richard Burns Rally nothing seems to be satisfactory.

c) Alan Wake - got bored after a while, rinse and repeat blind them with a flashlight, shoot them - gameplay boring -> immersion crushed

d) Other horror games like Outlast, Alien Isolation - they're all one-trick-pony, something really scares you for the first time, after that it's just rinse and repeat same scheme, get's boring and annoying.

e) I would try some RTS games but nothing can beat out Total War, Starcraft, AoE and Settlers for me - so that's a dead end too

f) I don't like adventure-type games, don't like platform games so that's out of the question

g) For multiplayer I tried many survival games with my friends but they are all HORRIBLE, unfinished early-access crap. We had amazing times in Rust BEFORE the overhaul - now it's just bullshit.

There are probably a lot more that I didn't mention - but see, the general problems are :

- today's games are developed for consoles and are boring, dumbed down, hand-holding, awful combat, just not for me

- yesterday's games weren't like that - but time passes by and I can't really get over how some games aged

- immersion, atmosphere, good gameplay, something to hook me in is what I'm looking for, also individual character creation

I guess there aren't many games for me, and maybe I just have to wait until such game arises :) You know my perfect game would be character creation based open world RPG with challenging combat, inhabited world that feels ALIVE, story and events in the world adapting to our actions, good atmosphere.

I have high hopes for Kingdom Come : Deliverance, but given that it's early access I doubt it's going to get finished anytime soon ...

I don't want to give up gaming because I like it. I'm just starved .... please if you have any ideas, let me know :)

A. Have you ever tried Mount and Blade? It's old and graphics are pretty basic, and like every game it has things that should be changed, but the series is really fun if you like controlling a 'unit' of troops. Dirt cheap on sale for Warband (think I got it for $1.49).

B. + D. Tried Fallout Tactics? How about Frozen Synapse? I have a free copy of Frozen Synapse on Steam if you'd think you'd like it (watch some vids before asking pls). Or how about Wasteland 2?

C. Not much like STALKER out there for the total package of immersion imo. Ever tried the Metro series?

I'll list some others I love, but had no idea I'd like them so much when I got them - FTL (rogue-like space), Kerbal Space Program (building flight/space sim), Mark of the Ninja (best sidescroller out there), Don't Starve (fun survival 2D unique game), and King's Bounty (HoMM-like tactical strategy game - personal fav).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
FYI:

Space Engineers has a LOT of potential, but its gonna need another year of work. Possibly more. Like many indie games on Steam, progress is very slow.