Question [Planning] New AMD based build for gaming and simulation.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Hi folks!
Hope ya'all safe and sound. These are strange times!

On to the task at hand!

I do have a i5 4440+GTX 1060 6GB PC but I fear the upcoming games might be too much of an ask for it. So, I'm planning to upgrade majour components except for my monitor (Dell 1920x1080) and the PSU (Seasonic G550 RM).
But yeah, I know that Intel, AMD and Nvidia are gonna have some majour launches coming up this year. So, need some advice on whether to go ahead with the upgrade (I can wait) or not.

1. Use: Gaming (1080P or 2K max) and engineering simulations (CUDA :( )

2. Budget: $800 USD

3. Country: India.

4. Common PC hardware dealers in india:

5. Brand preference: AMD & Nvidia.

6. Current parts which I would be using:

i. Dell 1920x1080
ii. PSU (Seasonic G550 RM).
iii. Peripherals like keyboard, mouse etc.
iv. Hard disk WD 7200 RPM 1 TB x2 nos.

7. Overclocking: YES!!!

8. Monitor res: Full HD.

9. When do you plan to build it: 3 weeks probably.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
No

And yeah, I can hold on to the GTX 1060 for a while as it is still decent for the games I play (Witcher 3, Kingdome Come: Deliverance, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Just Cause 4 etc.).

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, I tried to get close.
CPU 3700x $300
2 x 8 gig ddr4 3600 $86
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S AM4 AMD X570 $140
Corsair MP600 500 gig pcie 4.0 $120

Thats about $650. I would really like to recommend a 2070 or 2070 super but that blows your budget. And those prices are newegg US, you would have to look at your own sites for what you could get them for.

Reactions: x_marX

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
1. My primary use would be gaming. So, an R5 3600 should suffice, right?

2. Which RAM to buy?
I mean there are a lot of them! It gets really confusing like timings vs clock speed, which brand, stability, etc.

3. In my area, it's very difficult to get ASRock products. MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are the ones that are readily available.

Thanks for the reply BTW.

BTW, this lock-down is having its effects in my company. I just got a huge pay cut!
Not sure if I should upgrade now.

Family comes first!!

Be safe everyone!

Well, I tried to get close.
CPU 3700x $300
2 x 8 gig ddr4 3600 $86
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S AM4 AMD X570 $140
Corsair MP600 500 gig pcie 4.0 $120

That's about $650. I would really like to recommend a 2070 or 2070 super but that blows your budget. And those prices are Newegg US, you would have to look at your own sites for what you could get them for.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Given your usage, and that you are mostly a single player gamer, here is my advice - When you have the money, and if there is a decent used market in your part of India, buy a 4770k or 4790k if they are not stupidly priced. Overclock it 4.5GHz+ and it will be fine for gaming, for years to come. The rest of that $800 budget, again, when work is back to normal, I would put into the vid card. 2070 super has almost double the CUDA cores of the 1060 6GB.

And right back at you for staying safe. :beercheers:

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Yes, I don't do multiplayer games!

Regarding the 4790K, my motherboard is a B85, no overclocking. So, I need to buy a new motherboard+CPU+CPU Cooler.

Buying 6-year-old used PC components is risky, isn't it?
But yeah, I may be able to save the price of the RAM (as I have the 16GB of DDR3 RAM).
Let's see if I can get a good deal for the 4790K+motherboard.

I might get a 2070/2060 SUPER or the upcoming 3060 later this year (not the 2070 SUPER, it's too costly for me) when everything settles down. But the priority now is saving up money for the CPU+MB+RAM.

Thanks for the reply BTW!

Given your usage, and that you are mostly a single player gamer, here is my advice - When you have the money, and if there is a decent used market in your part of India, buy a 4770k or 4790k if they are not stupidly priced. Overclock it 4.5GHz+ and it will be fine for gaming, for years to come. The rest of that $800 budget, again, when work is back to normal, I would put into the vid card. 2070 super has almost double the CUDA cores of the 1060 6GB.

And right back at you for staying safe. :beercheers:

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You are not wrong about used components coming with risk. And because you say you cannot overclock with your board, then build a Ryzen system. I priced out from Vedant computers that you linked, a Ryzen 2600, B450 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4 3200, 256GB NVME SSD for a boot drive, and 2060 Super, in your budget. I am certain you can save a bit more by shopping around when the time comes. It also seems like from a quick look around on that site, the price hike/mark up for anything beyond that level of hardware is crazy high there.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
You are not wrong about used components coming with risk. And because you say you cannot overclock with your board, then build a Ryzen system. I priced out from Vedant computers that you linked, a Ryzen 2600, B450 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4 3200, 256GB NVME SSD for a boot drive, and 2060 Super, in your budget. I am certain you can save a bit more by shopping around when the time comes. It also seems like from a quick look around on that site, the price hike/mark up for anything beyond that level of hardware is crazy high there.
Thanks for the recommendation on a possible config.

Swapping out the processor with a 3600 and not getting a graphics card is also a good option, right?
And yeah, what about the B550 motherboard which is supposed to come out in June?

After watching the news, I'm now thinking of waiting until June to make the decision!
There are a lot of variables in that equation like Intel 10th gen, B550 motherboard, Covid 19 lock-down, job security, possible leaks on the AMD Ryzen 3000 series, etc.

What do you guys think?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
From reading around, Intel is not really bringing enough to the table unless they significantly reduce pricing for the platform, which I would not hold my breath for. Ryzen 4000 if it brings the IPC increase being speculated about, will be compelling. But again, pricing is important given your budget. Most tech sites still recommend the 1600AF or 2600 and B450, because of the performance per dollar, for those on tighter budgets. If you can squeeze a 3600 in the budget, even better.

Waiting is a smart move though, given the human malware situation creating so much uncertainty. And even if pricing and/or performance is a poor value with the new products, hopefully it will bring down prices on the current stuff. Allowing you to get a bit more performance for the same money.

I voted wait, explanation above.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Sorry for thread necromancy:p

Just wanted to update this thread.

So, the Intel 10th gen is here and its decent. But, as usual, its overpriced.
There are some really sweet deals on the Ryzen R5 3600 appearing now but I'm gonna wait a bit.
I think September gonna be a great time to get new stuff with AMD, Nvidia & Intel releasing/paper launching new stuff.

But yeah, I'll get the ball rolling by upgrading my case with a new "gaming" cabinet.

Its going to be a long wait!

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Yay, I have started the upgrade journey!

With the issues reg. the Seasonic G550 RM that I have, I bought the XPG Core Reactor 650 without waiting for the prices to fall.

It was an Amazon Prime day impulse buy of sort and I have a lot of time to cancel that order. I got it for Rs 9500 (~126 USD) and lots of other PSUs like Corsair RM650, Antec EA650G Pro gold, Seasonic 460 Fanless platinum, Deepcool Gamerstorm G650, Thermaltake Toughpower grand RGB 650 gold are comparable in price.
I need your opinion on how good is the XPG PSU compared to the others I just listed.

Please comment!

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
That Tomshardware reivew is pretty convincing!

So, I made a good choice, right ?

BTW, I still like that 460W Seasonic platinum fanless PSU. But, I might be getting a top end next gen video card next year. So, 460W might be a bit restrictive.

Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
So, next step is getting a motherboard+cpu+ram and an SSD.

Regarding the motherboard, I have decided to go for a B550 chipset based ones like the MSI Gaming Plus. Is it good enough for the 5950X ( one year later)?

For the processor, I'm gonna get a fairly low end one, probably the 3500X for now. I just want the processor not drag down my upcoming 6700XT or GTX 3060Ti graphics card (when ever it launches).

OR, join the dark side and get a Z490+Intel i5 10600KA instead?

Any comments?

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
I need to make a decision soon as my current system just died (motherboard failed). I don't want to spend too much cash now as my game collections are 2019 or older.

So, whats it gonna be?

1. MSI B550 Gaming Plus +AMD Ryzen 3300X
2. MSIZ490 A Pro+ Intel i5 10400F

OR any other good config you can suggest ?

BTW, I would be upgrading the processor later next year and want the motherboard to be compatible with the next gen (Rocket Lake and Ryzen 5000).

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Bought the MSI B550 Gaming Plus for a decent discount!

Now, I have a question!

The processor, RAM & SSD prices should fall in the next month, right?
So, buying it next month is the best idea, right?

I first thought of getting a 3300X and upgrade it next year. But, the price of 3300X is increasing. There is no competition for that chip. So, I'm guessing AMD or the distributors is increasing its price.

So, I'm looking forward to November 5th to see how its price here.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Bought the MSI B550 Gaming Plus for a decent discount!

Now, I have a question!

The processor, RAM & SSD prices should fall in the next month, right?
So, buying it next month is the best idea, right?

I first thought of getting a 3300X and upgrade it next year. But, the price of 3300X is increasing. There is no competition for that chip. So, I'm guessing AMD or the distributors is increasing its price.

So, I'm looking forward to November 5th to see how its price here.

Between now and December, they are projecting flash and memory prices will decrease about 10% due to the current flash and DRAM memory glut. As a result, as there are no expected price spikes in the pipeline, I wouldn't worry too much about it for the next 3 months or so.

In fact, on the storage front you'd be better off waiting to allow more manufacturers to introduce their competing PCIe 4.0-based devices. PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are one of the few current devices that can take immediate (and impressive) advantage of the extra bandwidth provided by PCIe 4.0.

For price drops on CPUs, I'd watch the R5 3600/3600X as it will be directly displaced by the Zen3 5600X. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on the R7 3700X as well (Walmart had a one day special a couple weeks ago that had it down in the 3600 territory).

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply!

We have the Amazon sale going on till 23rd (India). For like 97 USD (pre-tax), it's possible to get some decent PCI-E M.2 SSDs. But, since I have no plan to get a CPU now, I'm wondering what to do, wait or pull the trigger!

But, I'm totally confused about RAM. I don't know which ones to go for. I'm stumped!
I know 3700 MHz probably the sweet spot but there are a lot of products out there.
Also, there is this B, E die thing which can overclock better (by getting a cheaper B die memory and overclocking to 3700 MHz).

As for CPU deals, there is one right now. Ryzen 3700X for Rs 25,000 incl tax (273 USD pre-tax). Not sure if its a good deal or not!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Probably, they are nearly impossible to even find in the USA. Put it on ebay as an auction, you might make a few bucks. Or use it yourself, it's a pretty decent CPU, although the Intel 10100 CPU is competitive, and cheaper.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Hmm... the prices went up lol :D.
It's not much of a deal now.

Btw, I returned the Antec DF600 case. I thought it was DF600 flux but it was not.

There are some decent cases including LianLi 215 and Corsair 465X.

Corsair 465X is better for CLC, right?

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Got a massive discount on LianLi 215. So, bought it instead of the Corsair 465X.

I'm hoping it can handle some mild overclocking on gpu and cpu without changing the stock fans.

x_marX

Apr 23, 2020
Returned the B550 Gaming Plus and bought X570 Tomahawk. Not a great decision but what the heck lol :D

Also, bought Asus Tuf gaming M3 mouse + a Chinese 'mechanical' RGB backlit keyboard with Outemu switches.
Tomhawk was a bit costly, sooo....

Next up, cpu+ram!