Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Agree about the vehicles. However once inside a biolab or tech plant the infantry is what wins the day getting the shields down, etc. Also, as engineer, tank mines are awesome. Hell of a lot more effective than the Heavy Assault's rocket launchers, in my opinion. Takes too many rockets to disable/kill armor.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I am starting to learn that Heavy Assault is not that good. The recoil is quite bad unless you burst-fire, the rockets are weak, open ground is close to instant death, MAXs compete in CQC.......sigh.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I am starting to learn that Heavy Assault is not that good. The recoil is quite bad unless you burst-fire, the rockets are weak, open ground is close to instant death, MAXs compete in CQC.......sigh.

I run HA most of the time for infantry combat. The shields and large magazines make them the best stand up fighter. You do need to use burst fire for anything outside 10m but playing FPS, that should be second nature.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Yeah, you can't hold down the trigger, but if you get good at burst fire that weapon can be devastating against mid-range troops, and can even keep their heads down at longer ranges.

I also play HA primarily, in my case due to the anti-armor capability. I'm saving up for anti-air now. Infantry needs a counter to TR and VS air, since our own pilots never seem to be where we need them.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
I actually think the HA guns are pretty decent and the recoil manageable. I am often surprised at long distance kills. The Trac for TR is what I use for HA (and engineer). Just the rockets suck. Haven't tried the AA rockets yet though.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I actually think the HA guns are pretty decent and the recoil manageable. I am often surprised at long distance kills. The Trac for TR is what I use for HA (and engineer). Just the rockets suck. Haven't tried the AA rockets yet though.

The TR guns are ridiculously OP mostly because they do equivalent damage to NC guns with far greater accuracy over all ranges and time. It's the one thing I miss about PS1 - the guns aren't nearly as unique to each faction in PS2 in terms of damage. The philosophy of the TR guns in PS2 is just wrong, way too much accuracy for the amount of lead they put out.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The TR guns are ridiculously OP mostly because they do equivalent damage to NC guns with far greater accuracy over all ranges and time. It's the one thing I miss about PS1 - the guns aren't nearly as unique to each faction in PS2 in terms of damage. The philosophy of the TR guns in PS2 is just wrong, way too much accuracy for the amount of lead they put out.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005

Really? Guess I hadn't heard that. I had heard about the VS rifles being essentially laser beams with no bullet drop or recoil, and of course the VS tanks (magriders?) being OP because of their strafing ability.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Really? Guess I hadn't heard that. I had heard about the VS rifles being essentially laser beams with no bullet drop or recoil, and of course the VS tanks (magriders?) being OP because of their strafing ability.

Tanks kind of balance out though. Magriders can't swivel their turret, they have to aim their entire vehicle. TR tanks are a fair middle ground, being a standard tank. The NC's Vanguards are similar to the TR tanks, though I think they may be a little slower in both speed and maneuvering (not sure - Magriders definitely have that advantage), but the NC's get the main gun with the most punch, but it's also slower to refire than any other main gun.

In the right hands, each tank can handle and take down the other.

However, VS might have the best "escape from death" odds, even if they encounter a swarm of other thanks.
A Vanguard that runs into a swarm of Magriders, unless the territory is just right, I don't think they really stand a chance.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Having played with all three, I can say for a fact that VS rifles have more spread than TR do, and for some reason feel like they have more recoil than their TR counterparts. The do have much less bullet drop (none, unless in alt-fire mode, unless that's been fixed that is) though. But at typical engage ranges, the TR guns have next to no bullet drop anyway.

Playing mostly NC I'm jaded though, since NC gets the shaft as a whole on guns (supposed to get the most power-per-shot, but it's negligible and the trade off is HUGE recoil, spread and bullet drop).

Tanks are fine as is - they're all OP. I have no problems taking out Magridgers with Lightnings for what it's worth. On the other hand, a Prowler can eat my Lightning for lunch.

Danimal1209

Nov 9, 2011
I really wanted to get in to this game, but I just couldn't.

There is just too much going on for me to feel like I made an impact.
I understand the game is completely team oriented and playing solo helps no=one, but I need to feel like I made a difference, you know?

I guess I'll go back to smaller sized battlefields where an individuals ability to take down his enemy has more of an impact.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I really wanted to get in to this game, but I just couldn't.

There is just too much going on for me to feel like I made an impact.
I understand the game is completely team oriented and playing solo helps no=one, but I need to feel like I made a difference, you know?

I guess I'll go back to smaller sized battlefields where an individuals ability to take down his enemy has more of an impact.

I played it for the first time the other day for about an hour and didn't really get into it much. (I spent almost as long downloading the 10GB as I did playing:). Think I killed one other person in that time, and did a lot of running. Find enemy base, run towards it, die on the way.. Oh, I did get an ATV to drive around, that was cool. Saw a bunch of flying things but no idea how, or where, to get into one..

Maybe I'll have another 30 min some time to try it again, we'll see.

Last edited:

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
I played it for the first time the other day for about an hour and didn't really get into it much. (I spent almost as long downloading the 10GB as I did playing:). Think I killed one other person in that time, and did a lot of running. Find enemy base, run towards it, die on the way.. Oh, I did get an ATV to drive around, that was cool. Saw a bunch of flying things but no idea how, or where, to get into one..

Maybe I'll have another 30 min some time to try it again, we'll see.

Watch the tutorials on YouTube. The game is awesome, and huge in scale, so it takes a steeper learning curve than other games.

Get a sunderer set up in a key spot and have 100 teammates spawn on it to take a massive base = enormous contribution, much more than killing 1-2 infrantry guys.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Watch the tutorials on YouTube. The game is awesome, and huge in scale, so it takes a steeper learning curve than other games.

Get a sunderer set up in a key spot and have 100 teammates spawn on it to take a massive base = enormous contribution, much more than killing 1-2 infrantry guys.

PM me you PS2 player info so I remember to friend you

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Haven't played this game in a while. I basically just log in once a day to get my offline certs then go play other games. Had a hard time finding an outfit that wasn't too large and just played together for the fun of it.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I'm taking a break from this game. It's just gotten silly over the last couple of weeks. Armor and air basically own every battle. There's not much reason to play infantry unless you want to be fodder. NC guns are so gimped against TR and VS that it makes infantry that much more frustrating. I don't know why FPS shooter designers can't get this crap right. I've had some epic fun fights in this game, but lately it's just starting to feel like Planetfield 3.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
I'm taking a break from this game. It's just gotten silly over the last couple of weeks. Armor and air basically own every battle. There's not much reason to play infantry unless you want to be fodder. NC guns are so gimped against TR and VS that it makes infantry that much more frustrating. I don't know why FPS shooter designers can't get this crap right. I've had some epic fun fights in this game, but lately it's just starting to feel like Planetfield 3.

It's something they are planning to address; the whole game is just very badly balanced at the moment. Generally I just switch between one vehicle or another because infantry is gimped except in very limited situations (e.g. biodome fights or running with the zerg). On a related note, I tried gunning in a lib today and it felt like cheating :hmm:

Another thing I find annoying is the population dynamics. On the server I play (Connery) VS is consistently out numbered and it feels a bit futile at times. Also the other night each faction had the vast majority on one continent; it was either steam rolling, getting steam rolled, or ghost capping.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
It's something they are planning to address; the whole game is just very badly balanced at the moment. Generally I just switch between one vehicle or another because infantry is gimped except in very limited situations (e.g. biodome fights or running with the zerg). On a related note, I tried gunning in a lib today and it felt like cheating :hmm:

Another thing I find annoying is the population dynamics. On the server I play (Connery) VS is consistently out numbered and it feels a bit futile at times. Also the other night each faction had the vast majority on one continent; it was either steam rolling, getting steam rolled, or ghost capping.

I was frustrated.... but of course I went right back and played another round until they took the server down :).

I haven't spent any money, so I can't bitch too much I suppose. But if they want the game to last they need to address some of these issues. There have to be effective counters. How can it take five anti-vehicle missiles to take out a Sunderer or a Magrider? If you take the risk and manage to move into a firing position you aren't often going to survive for five rounds, especially when the unguided rockets move about as fast as Usain Bolt, and the targets can just back out of the way. It's not an effective counter, it's just silly.

You nailed the fun scenarios for infantry: bio-dome fights are a blast, largely because you have interesting obstacles and armor/air can't take part. Zerg fights are fun because you just roll over everything. As it stands now I don't see any incentive for NC not to zerg it up. We're just too gimped in infantry weapons.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I actually played last night for the first time in 2 months. Played a TR medic as we assaulted some base on top of a hill. It was for the most part infantry only which was nice.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
you need to shoot vehicles in the back to kill them fast

Yeah I know, and obviously you try to do that, but as slow as the rockets travel that's a real crapshoot, and anyway, it still shouldn't take five freaking rockets to take out a personnel carrier.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Yeah I know, and obviously you try to do that, but as slow as the rockets travel that's a real crapshoot, and anyway, it still shouldn't take five freaking rockets to take out a personnel carrier.

Actually it's not. You need to look up the info about how damage direction is calculated - here's a hint: It's calculated from the position between the firer and the target IMMEDIATELY AT THE TIME WHEN THE SHOT IS FIRED, and never updated.

As an illustration of this, if you have a seeking rocket for example, if you lock on to a tank facing away from you (ie: its rear) and fire at it while on the same plane as the tank, and the tank manages to do a full 180 degree turn before the rocket hits (ie: now its front armor is facing you/the incoming rocket), the tank will still take damage as if it was struck in the REAR by the incoming rocket even though it visibly clearly was struck in the front.