Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
Stupid Walmart. My store online checker said in stock. Went there and nothing. Had a guy input the product number into his handheld scanner and said they're supposed to be by the PC games, but a grand total of nothing.

Went to GameStop and got a 1500 SOE card for $15 which included the NS11 Platinum rifle (combat medic) which is normally 700 station cash anyway. So, I'm happy. If I want more I'll just buy it online today.

What are people spending their station cash on? I bought the HEAT for the Lightning. Might buy the burster and chain gun for the max, so I have one MAX loadout for air and one loadout for infantry.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I bought a ton of vehicle weapons last night b/c they were 20% off

50 cal for the flash

the AA gun and rocket pods for the fighter

upgraded front and middle gunship guns

the AP guns for the tanks

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bought all the weapons upgrades for the vehicles and the best guns I could get for my faction classes, some camo for vehicles and my character and most importantly the 7 day XP boost. Still have about 7500k in station cash left. Doubt I'll be buying anything else anytime soon unless I decide to role another faction on a separate server.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So which of the two new rocket launchers is good for HA? Higher damage or lock-on for ground and air? Already have the HAWK.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
So which of the two new rocket launchers is good for HA? Higher damage or lock-on for ground and air? Already have the HAWK.

I went with the air and ground lock-on, it's kinda weak but more versatile. It's bugged against turrets though, it hits the platform rather than the turret itself and does no damage :\

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I tried all of them out this weekend. Honestly they all feel the same if you hit from side/front. The only noticeable one was decimator when hitting tanks from back it was only 2 shots to kill any tank. Very hard to get shots in back though because you have to be very close with it. Seems i killed myself each time. lol

I don't like the whole feel from rocket launchers, they all seem bland to me. I understand its hard to balance stuff like this, but they could of at least added more cosmetics with them, including how they fired. I think they should make one a TOW missile design myself. Or the missile launched like you see in real life, how it drops down slightly and takes off fast.

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I feel pretty dumb, I just now realized how to hack things with the infiltrator. I've been playing probably 38 hours now.

In other news I dropped back into a tree again with a sniper rifle and went 24-0, the last guy I killed was waiting for someone to get close enough to melee.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Is anyone having any problems crashing after 15-20 minutes? Every game without fail I crash after about 20 minutes, get "Planetside2.exe has stopped working" and I'm back at the desktop. Makes the game unplayable. There is a huge thread in the forums here:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ed-working-crashes-every-10-20-minutes.49086/

nope, my client works just fine.

has anybody noticed the level of retardation among any player below level 15ish, it's like generators don't exist... which means Broheim has to jetpack in and solo 5 HAs like a boss every goddamn time to keep the shields up or down. it's not like it's a complicated game or anything, do your killing as you do your objectives for god's sake, this isn't COD.
oh and if you're going to hang back and take potshots at the enemies way off in the distance at least have the common courtesy to spot them for me so I have an idea of which generator to run to next, "Q" is like right there on the keyboard next to that "W" button you should be using more.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
nope, my client works just fine.

has anybody noticed the level of retardation among any player below level 15ish, it's like generators don't exist... which means Broheim has to jetpack in and solo 5 HAs like a boss every goddamn time to keep the shields up or down. it's not like it's a complicated game or anything, do your killing as you do your objectives for god's sake, this isn't COD.
oh and if you're going to hang back and take potshots at the enemies way off in the distance at least have the common courtesy to spot them for me so I have an idea of which generator to run to next, "Q" is like right there on the keyboard next to that "W" button you should be using more.

wow you mad bro.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
I'm thinking of giving this game a try. Is there a particularly good server/faction to choose?
A single account gives you three characters, just assign one to each faction. I have seen some problems with latency so pick servers with the lowest lag, they are all pretty similar otherwise.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I tried all of them out this weekend. Honestly they all feel the same if you hit from side/front. The only noticeable one was decimator when hitting tanks from back it was only 2 shots to kill any tank. Very hard to get shots in back though because you have to be very close with it. Seems i killed myself each time. lol

I don't like the whole feel from rocket launchers, they all seem bland to me. I understand its hard to balance stuff like this, but they could of at least added more cosmetics with them, including how they fired. I think they should make one a TOW missile design myself. Or the missile launched like you see in real life, how it drops down slightly and takes off fast.

I tried the decimator and was happy with it but then my trial ran out and I went back to the Shrike. I didn't even notice. Was using it mostly on inf though. I'm rarely in position to rear shot tanks so it might not make a difference. Tomorrow I'll try the other one.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I tell you want, $20 was a good send on triple cash days. I got everything i wanted with $20. Once you get rockets on reaver, its easy mode. :D

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have been playing for a little while now, TR BattleRank 24, I ended up spending $70 on triple station cash day...

Needless to say I have most everything I need now, including all the camo and armor I wanted. Also picked up some 7 day boosts. I have been managing ~150 certs an hour.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone else have the issue with the game freezing? I had it happen 3 times today, sometimes it's right when I log in, other times after playing for a bit. Had a weird one today when the whole squad was disconnected.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
If i get a walmart card and use it for a sub do i get the 500 sc too?

EDIT: Answer: Yes. The card can be redeemed for 30 days of game time AND 500SC.
They were found back in the PC games section of Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
Reaper DRM AR on sale today. Is that a good rifle for the medic? Been doing OK with the default. Pretty close to the Gauss burst in DPS

I picked it up and thought it was quite good, I don't play medic much so it's not like I've spent much time with it but it seems like a solid rifle both at range and up close and personal, but if you tend to hipfire in CQB this is not the rifle for you.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
funniest thing just happened, I got left behind after an assault on a tech plant so I jetpacked my way up to the gun deck. I then started taking out all the Vanus in sight shoot'n'scoot style but after a while I ran out of ammo, grenades and C4 even though I made every shot count.
I then hid and quickly jumped out of the game, put this on repeat and went on the most epic knifing spree ever, god I wish I had recorded it, I must have gotten over 10 knife kills. luckily they only came up one at a time so it wasn't hard to hide and chase them around the platform, this one guy I must have chased for a good 30 seconds. One guy was standing by a pillar looking at one of the teleporters so I snuck up behind and knifed him in the back, then jumped out and around the pillar, as he turned around I knifed him in the back again, that made me laugh so hard.

it must have gone on for over 5 minutes, and I laughed the whole time. God I love light assault.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Are there any Anandtech-specific outfits for PS2? If so, which servers and outfits?

There just aren't enough anandtech PS2 players to make an outfit of it. As it is, judging from my player list thread, there are hardly enough players on this forum to make a strong platoon, if every single one was on at the same time frequently and on the same server and in the same faction.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Rocket pods confound me.

When I fly, I can go after a tank, from behind, unload all 12 of my rockets into his ass and still have to make another pass.

If I'm on the ground in a heavy tank, I can be driving along, get hit by like 4 rockets and explode.

What the hell am I missing here? :confused:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
it must have gone on for over 5 minutes, and I laughed the whole time. God I love light assault.

I'm thinking of playing LA for awhile. I love the HA role, and keeping enemy heads down with the machine gun, but there comes a time when assaulting certain stations, after the perimeter is secured but before the gens are down, when all I can do is hang out and look for inc while the LAs and infs clean out upstairs and take out the gens.

Then there's the fact that just about every time I get the HA positioned with a good line of fire some twitchy douche walks in front of me to get a shot. I had a low-health guy die doing that two nights ago, so the idiot respawns and kills me... because it's my fault he stepped in front of a firing light machine gun.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
LOL @ The Anti-Air Pack that's on sale. I don't know what I was thinking buying it on my NC char who already bought the left hand burster, but imagine my surprise equipping my heavy with the rocket launcher only to find out that it's the Anti-VEHICLE rocket launcher not the Anti-AIRCRAFT one that's bundled in the package. I lol'd.