Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The tank zerg can be annoying but its the air zerg the irritates me more. The current ground to air weapons are mostly useless (MAX burster is decent in pairs) and this means masses of air gets to do enormous damage. They nerfed nemesis and other g2a missiles and skyguards are still mostly only good at defence if being directly attacked due to its short range.

Not giving newbie players a counter to air from the beginning really doesn't help.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
The tank zerg can be annoying but its the air zerg the irritates me more. The current ground to air weapons are mostly useless (MAX burster is decent in pairs) and this means masses of air gets to do enormous damage. They nerfed nemesis and other g2a missiles and skyguards are still mostly only good at defence if being directly attacked due to its short range.

Not giving newbie players a counter to air from the beginning really doesn't help.

As a tanker, I absolutely HATE when the sky is dominated with enemy aircraft.

Well quite simply, I'm a ground pounder. I'm either hoofing it as an engi, or in a tank (now that I got the mobile spawn in the Sundy, I've been using that a bit too).

When you really think about it, things are basically playing out like they are supposed to. Think large scale battle/warfare tactics. When moving a few kilometers between points, you're going to load up into an armored convoy. For some locations, this overwhelming force is just that - but some locations also tends to leave a mass of armored vehicles sitting there useless outside the shield. Then again, once the shield is down, if there is a massed assortment of tanks and sundies, that's probably a large number of Soldiers who will easily capture the facility at that point (depending on specific facility).

As a ground pounder in general, I despise air. But there doing exactly what I'd be doing if I was keen to hop into the flyers. They can absolutely rape a massed armor column. It takes a fair bit of skill for that column alone to fend off the air coverage - hopefully there are some competent pilots in the mix who might redeploy (to the gate, for instance) and bring their own air to the fight overhead.

Last night I was part of an armored column moving from one facility to another, and we were crossing a large open field/valley and there was large pack of enemy armor.
On Ultra settings, the fight was quite beautiful. :D
I deployed my Sundy behind a rock, and ran into the fray repairing the other vehicles. They won out, I hopped back into the Sundy and moved it to the facility.
Eventually we got absolutely raped by air as we were taking a facility near the TR warpgate. Got stuck in a spawn room, and between Maxes and the air coverage, the two shielded doors were basically choked with explosions the entire time. It was suicide to walk outside.

But we do the same thing to spawn rooms everywhere, so I definitely won't/can't fault them for locking up that spawn. :) I was just retelling how air ruined our night. :(

I need to start getting familiarized with the flyers, see if I can't become a decent pilot.

I was ecstatic the other night when a shot a little birdy out of the sky with my main tank gun. That always makes me giddy, just like whenever I can accomplish the same feat in BF3. Usually takes a less-competent pilot to make it possible, but I'll capitalize when possible. :D

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
lolwut, my LA with C4 is essentially the only viable defense my team has against the never ending flood of magriders we encounter. If you don't like to get blown up then don't get close enough for me to jump on top of you.

Thanks for absolutely making my point for me. :thumbsup:

C4 should NOT be a viable "tool" in the middle of a battlefield for a light infantry class against active mobile heavy armor. "Oh hai, I'm flying over your tank and I'm just gonna shit out some C4 and plllpt BOOM!" C4 against stationary targets like a deployed sunderer, sure.

Nerf C4. Or at least retool it significantly so it's used against things it should be used for like gens and phalanxes and whatnot. It should also most definitely not be used as a short range anti-infantry noobtube either.

Last edited:

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007

C4 should NOT be a viable "tool" in the middle of a battlefield for a light infantry class against active mobile heavy armor. "Oh hai, I'm flying over your tank and I'm just gonna shit out some C4 and plllpt BOOM!" C4 against stationary targets like a deployed sunderer, sure.

Nerf C4. Or at least retool it significantly so it's used against things it should be used for like gens and phalanxes and whatnot. It should also most definitely not be used as a short range anti-infantry noobtube either.

Normally I don't jump into these types of arguments. But in this case, no, C4 is fine. C4 is expensive and very hard to use. There is a delay in both throwing/sticking it as well as hitting the plunger. The likelihood of pulling off the maneuver you describe is low and takes a lot of skill and luck. C4 needs to be placed on the rear of a vehicle for good damage and even then two charges on the back won't kill a Sundy. Running/flying out into a tank battle to stick C4 to the back of a fighting tank will usually get you blown to pieces or run over.

In every single way, the Heavy's rocket launcher is superior to C4. C4 upgrades other classes from 'no threat to armor at all' to 'slight threat to armor.' And you have to sink 700 certs into the skill to get two sticks PER CLASS, which means it's not exactly affordable.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011

the whole point of the LA is a fast and mobile soldier who's main ability is to outmaneuver his target and break enemy lines. god didn't give us jetpacks just so we wouldn't have to take the stairs.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
A side note, if you buy cards at walmart you get a bonus 500 points for each $15 card. Not sure if this was suppose to be limited stock, but local one has about 50 cards still on peg hook with this offer "exclusive to wal-mart".

Where in the store did you find these?

Electronics department people were clueless. The regular people were just retarded, and the upper-level employee who was using a hand-held computer to look, as well as the department manager, were basically telling me the computers were wrong.

See: on the walmart website, it stated a local store had them in stock (it also stated a few stores were Out of Stock). So, I go to the nearest store (though still out of my way), and I'm looking all throughout the electronics/games department, including the tiny PC Games area, as well as a major display of game cards on an end-cap, plus a section of cards next to the Console games. Nothing. They say it might be up front at the Gift Card display by a certain register: I see nothing there.

At that point, I'm basically telling them to look "in back", because it might just be in a box. After looking up the UPC, the department manager says "hold on", looks underneath the cabinetry at the electronics department registry, pulls up some game cards but no SOE cards. He then says "well we don't have them. Sometimes things are listed as received in by the store, but never got here."

I smell and claim bullshit, and a desire to be lazy and not look in any unprocessed freight, or even the processed freight that hasn't been carted to each department. I'm familiar with retail operations, so I'm hedging my bet these fucks just didn't want to actually look.

But perhaps we all just didn't know where to look? Where did you find your cards?

I was so hoping to get $120 bucks in Station Cash (12,000SC) out of $30 cash (2x$15 cards at Walmart, which is worth a total of 4000SC, which turns into 12000SC after 3x sale).
It has been confirmed this works, as apparently these Walmart-exclusive cards have been around for the entire year or thereabouts, and people have capitalized by cashing them in on the Station store during the double or triple sales.

But no... so far, I can't have any. :(

Yes, 9,000SC for $30 is a good deal, so I should just settle for that, right? But you know what's an even better deal? 12,000SC for $30. :D

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I just stayed up all night with this game. Dammit. I'm glad I found it though, now I have something to leave WoT for.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Had a good run yesterday. We were attacking a tower that was being held by TR. We capped the tower but they had a Sundy in the bay, between the 2 teleporters, spawning guys. When I first went down, I shot one guy but was quickly killed by a few others. I recognized this as the ideal situation for the MAX. Grabbed my Max with Scattergun and Hacksaw, took the elevator to the teleporter above the spawn and jumped into the fray. Got 2 kills emptying the guns, then backed into the elevator and reloaded in safety. Next trip down got me 3 kills. Now I was down to about 1/2 health. I then took the other teleporter and was rewarded by being behind them, most were firing at guys coming down stairs and the other entrance. I just went to town until someone finally blew up the Sundy. All told I must have got 10-12 kills in less than 1 min of action.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
lolfun... sitting in a phalanx, have some turd come up sticking C4 on the back of it just as I jump out of the turret. The mechanics of exiting the turret put you a good 3m or so away facing the turret, which, ironically means the idiots slapping the C4 on the turret is right in front of you.

He died. I lol'd.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Where in the store did you find these?

Electronics department people were clueless. The regular people were just retarded, and the upper-level employee who was using a hand-held computer to look, as well as the department manager, were basically telling me the computers were wrong.

See: on the walmart website, it stated a local store had them in stock (it also stated a few stores were Out of Stock). So, I go to the nearest store (though still out of my way), and I'm looking all throughout the electronics/games department, including the tiny PC Games area, as well as a major display of game cards on an end-cap, plus a section of cards next to the Console games. Nothing. They say it might be up front at the Gift Card display by a certain register: I see nothing there.

At that point, I'm basically telling them to look "in back", because it might just be in a box. After looking up the UPC, the department manager says "hold on", looks underneath the cabinetry at the electronics department registry, pulls up some game cards but no SOE cards. He then says "well we don't have them. Sometimes things are listed as received in by the store, but never got here."

I smell and claim bullshit, and a desire to be lazy and not look in any unprocessed freight, or even the processed freight that hasn't been carted to each department. I'm familiar with retail operations, so I'm hedging my bet these fucks just didn't want to actually look.

But perhaps we all just didn't know where to look? Where did you find your cards?

I was so hoping to get $120 bucks in Station Cash (12,000SC) out of $30 cash (2x$15 cards at Walmart, which is worth a total of 4000SC, which turns into 12000SC after 3x sale).
It has been confirmed this works, as apparently these Walmart-exclusive cards have been around for the entire year or thereabouts, and people have capitalized by cashing them in on the Station store during the double or triple sales.

But no... so far, I can't have any. :(

Yes, 9,000SC for $30 is a good deal, so I should just settle for that, right? But you know what's an even better deal? 12,000SC for $30. :D

Stopped by during lunch, they had the cards next to the PC games, along with a bunch of different cards for other games.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Stopped by during lunch, they had the cards next to the PC games, along with a bunch of different cards for other games.

Can you do me a favor?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Unive...-Card/19530504

From there, you can check stock at local stores. At the store you picked it up from, what does it say on the main pop-up listing each store and whether the store has stock?
More importantly, something I am curious about: from that pop-up, click on the "View Map" underneath the store you picked up from (assuming they still list it as "in stock"), and in that new pop-up, click on Change Location. Now, if you put in your zip code again, does it give you a message saying: "This product is not currently available for pickup at any Walmart stores in your area." ?

I have a few stores listed as "in stock", but as I noted, yesterday one said they had never seen them before or just saying they don't have them if they aren't out.

If you have a store that is confirmed to have them, but get that message still after going through a few pop-ups, I might just have some hope left yet. :)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I know the store right across the street from where I work has them, fwiw.

Can you try the above? I don't care to waste the gas for a 30 minute round trip that proves fruitless, like happened yesterday.

But I'd certainly do it if it gains me an extra $30 in free station cash. :D

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Can you try the above? I don't care to waste the gas for a 30 minute round trip that proves fruitless, like happened yesterday.

But I'd certainly do it if it gains me an extra $30 in free station cash. :D

Online for my "local store" (across the street) it says in stock.

But honestly, even so, I've learned never to trust the online stock checker for Walmart.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Online for my "local store" (across the street) it says in stock.

But honestly, even so, I've learned never to trust the online stock checker for Walmart.

Did you do the "click on map, click on change store, type in zip again" process? As I said, I have some stores locally that show "in stock", but that second zip-code prompt produces a different result.

I never go to Walmart, and every brief foray into one for something specific that I can't get elsewhere, I am immediately reminded of why I don't go there.

I prefer to keep to my Targets and Krogers. It helps that they are mere minutes away, every Walmart around here is basically completely across town (15 minute drives or so, if I can utilize highways).

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Did you do the "click on map, click on change store, type in zip again" process? As I said, I have some stores locally that show "in stock", but that second zip-code prompt produces a different result.

I never go to Walmart, and every brief foray into one for something specific that I can't get elsewhere, I am immediately reminded of why I don't go there.

I prefer to keep to my Targets and Krogers. It helps that they are mere minutes away, every Walmart around here is basically completely across town (15 minute drives or so, if I can utilize highways).

Your best bet would probably be something like "Hey, SunnyD... can you maybe go pick up a card or two and I'll reimburse you via Paypal?"

That way you avoid going to walmart, AND you still get what you want. :) Not that I'm offering. :awe:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
your best bet would probably be something like "hey, sunnyd... Can you maybe go pick up a card or two and i'll reimburse you via paypal?"

that way you avoid going to walmart, and you still get what you want. :) not that i'm offering. :awe:

ygpm ;)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Can you do me a favor?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Unive...-Card/19530504

From there, you can check stock at local stores. At the store you picked it up from, what does it say on the main pop-up listing each store and whether the store has stock?
More importantly, something I am curious about: from that pop-up, click on the "View Map" underneath the store you picked up from (assuming they still list it as "in stock"), and in that new pop-up, click on Change Location. Now, if you put in your zip code again, does it give you a message saying: "This product is not currently available for pickup at any Walmart stores in your area." ?

I have a few stores listed as "in stock", but as I noted, yesterday one said they had never seen them before or just saying they don't have them if they aren't out.

If you have a store that is confirmed to have them, but get that message still after going through a few pop-ups, I might just have some hope left yet. :)

Still shows it as limited stock in the map after updating zip code.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
FYI/PSA/WHATEVER:

If you don't for some reason want to blow a whole $15, the $10 SOE "FreeRealms" SOE cards sold at Walmart also have a 200 station cash bonus attached to them, giving you a total of 1200 Station Cash for $10 (which would then get tripled on Friday to 3600 station cash).

Not quite as good a deal as the $15 cards, but still an option.