Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I wasn't talking about sancs. I was talking about primary link continents that are easiest for a given faction to "control" (ie: how Esamir is basically owned by NC right now).

I don't know how many continents will be in Planetside 2, but I'm pretty sure there will be more than 3.

There's going to be 3 at launch. Amerish is apparently only a few weeks away from beta.

I think NC owned Esamir because on top of them usually having the numbers advantage, they also had the most favorable spawn position (seriously why do they keep designing continents made for 4 factions). Once the positions changed, I noticed that they seemed to hold it less often.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Bah! If I had known they'd just remove all our Auraxium without converting it over to Cert Points, I would have bought something last night. Oh well. Back to square one on upgrading the Magrider.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
This patch ruined performance, used to be i would hardly go below 60fps with everything turned on high, now even on low i hardly get 60fps.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Bah! If I had known they'd just remove all our Auraxium without converting it over to Cert Points, I would have bought something last night. Oh well. Back to square one on upgrading the Magrider.

Don't worry. I'm sure a character wipe is right around the corner just about as soon as you acquire x-1 cert points from upgrading your magrider anyway. :)

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
That can't be right. There's no way this game is ready for a 11/20 release. It's still basically an alpha. It's feature incomplete, fundamental things are still in flux and there are bugs galore. Needs at least 4-6 more months.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
That can't be right. There's no way this game is ready for a 11/20 release. It's still basically an alpha. It's feature incomplete, fundamental things are still in flux and there are bugs galore. Needs at least 4-6 more months.

Its feature complete. It just has lots of tiny bugs that need addressed.

It has all the content, all the weapons. Tweaking of weapons is something they can do after launch, after all it is a MMO. Nothing fundamentally wrong with game right now.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I saw a tweet last night though that did say there's plenty of stuff on their test servers they have yet to deploy to the beta servers.

Heck, we've only got 2 continents still.

Last edited:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Its feature complete. It just has lots of tiny bugs that need addressed.

It has all the content, all the weapons. Tweaking of weapons is something they can do after launch, after all it is a MMO. Nothing fundamentally wrong with game right now.
No. It's missing a continent, promised meta-game features (overall objective style stuff to keep people interested), the store isn't implemented so testers can't buy weapons and other items, they still greatly tweak xp and cert point rates, weapon balance isn't there and more.

You're right about the bugs though.

The thing is when you have 1 month to release with all these problems, it's a huge red flag especially during the holiday this year when there's a new CoD game and some others to grab folks attention. SoE can't afford to foul up the launch but it seems it will here.

PS2 has the potential to be an amazing game with some truly epic battle experiences. If they botch the launch and it follows the usual MMO corporate pull-out with an ever shrinking development team, it may never see that potential sadly.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

As per SOE Live and also posted on Facebook:

576876_467926873251929_269433776_n.jpg

Release date is 11/20/2012 peeps. I am NOT making this up.

PlanetSide 2
It's official! PlanetSide 2 will launch on November 20, 2012. ^Blaze
Like · Comment · Share · 1,981 341 229 · 11 hours ago ·

I'm guessing Amerish will be in by the end of next week given it was revealed last night at SOE Live.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
According to Smed there are a lot of refinements, fixes, and other stuff that's on the test server, waiting to be pushed to beta (including Amerish). Still, one month is not enough IMHO. Should have made it December.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Am I the only one who played the game and actually thought it sucked? controls don't feel smooth, the graphics even all the way turned up don't look good at all, I guess those screenshots were deceiving. Played the original and loved it, this doesn't feel right. As it stands I don't see my self playing this any time soon, glad I got into the beta so I could see how crappy the game actually was.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Am I the only one who played the game and actually thought it sucked? controls don't feel smooth, the graphics even all the way turned up don't look good at all, I guess those screenshots were deceiving. Played the original and loved it, this doesn't feel right. As it stands I don't see my self playing this any time soon, glad I got into the beta so I could see how crappy the game actually was.

It is pretty awful. I keep trying to play it, no go :(

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

I'm sure you're not the only one, but myself I thought it was a pretty good evolution from Planetside. There's a few things I'm not happy about (like not being able to loot gear from opposing factions or hackjack enemy vehicles), but for the most part it IS a true successor to the original.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
How is performance? Also, is sniping any good? Is it satisfying to snipe someone from a distance?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How is performance? Also, is sniping any good? Is it satisfying to snipe someone from a distance?

I've been having problems with an inconsistent view distance thats been hampering my sniping. Also it takes a good few hits to kill, but when you've calculated the drop well and get that long distance hit its pretty satisfying.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011

I've noticed that sniping is very difficult unless you can one shot someone. Once they've been hit and react accordingly, it becomes pretty hard to land a 2nd or even 3rd shot.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I played it for a couple hours last night. Still dont really know what is going on. I just follow the mob. One thing I dont quite understand. It seems like we pushed the enemy into a single building. Then surrounded it and wouldnt let them out. But we couldnt get in either due to forcefields on the doors. I got a tank and blasted away for awhile but eventually got bored and went looking for trouble outside the base. I did find trouble but still dont understand how you dislodge them from that building.

I liked the atmosphere however. It really felt like a battle. Especially at night with all the tracers flying around. And with armored columns and air support over head.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Once you fly, you hate being on the ground.. Flying is a whole new world of fun.

The air upgrades seem to be more worth it than infantry upgrades for example. I spend 96 cert points on the auto-lock tank missiles, they do the exact same damage as dumbfire misses..the disadvantage is you have to wait 5 seconds between shots. No "real" advantage to it, since tanks know they are locked on they can move behind stuff, and the 5 seconds they can kill you in open.

But air upgrades to compare, i got the autocannon. WHOAH.
Its only "disadvantage" is medium range vs long range, but it does almost double the damage? To compare the regular auto-gatling gun thing it would take 2 passes and 2 reloads to kill a tank. I normally could not make it a 2nd pass.

The medium range one i kill tanks before ammo is half gone. Impressive. Keep in mind, medium range is perfect anyways since you can hit tanks till close anyways most the time :p

I do hate the constant choke points in game though. Nothing as dull as watching 30 tanks pound a capture point and nothing moves because no one wants to take risks.

Last edited:

mafia

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2008
This game reminds me of Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising (by Novalogic). Finally someone made a game which is similar to it, I like the idea of MMOFPS. JO was almost a MMOFPS with 150 player servers.

I have a beta key, any idea where I can download the game?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Anyone know what the server limits are?

There's constantly a queue of a few hundred to get in the euro server.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone in a outfit that plays together? Running around with random squads seem pointless.