Planetside 2..Free to play..and looking awesome so far!

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
As for sniping in game. Each faction as its ups and downs. I forget the adv/dis for each off hand, but one shoots fast but little damage, one shoots without much drop off little damage, one shoots and hits hard, but has high dropoff.

Unlike most games, sniping is really situational in this game, at least to me its only worth it for certain times.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
How does cert points work with xp? Is there a set amount of xp you need before getting a cert point? DO you get cert point for just playing or only for xp?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I believe 250 XP = 1 cert, but I'm not 100% sure on that. You gain 8 certs passively every 24 hours (as long as you login once every 24 hours).

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
They changed how certs are earned. Used to be somewhat static, but now I think each cert point is around 250xp. So a base capture will yield you 2 cert points. I think you get a couple of bonus certs for moving up a BR too.

I'm usually behind the lines causing ruckus so the only time I pay attention to cert points is when I log in.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Sentrosi, what faction is your outfit? I've been spending most of my time in TR but I haven't made up my mind on what to play as my main when the game launches.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
You also get cert points for medals I believe.

I upgraded the Magrider with the armor piercing gun and front armor upgrade. I took out tank after tank in some heavy battles around the Crown. So easy to get shots in on the flank/rear with the strafing capability of that tank where that gun just makes them explode.

The battles around The Crown are epic, but it feels like it's too defensible - only a massively coordinated effort will break that thing. The fixed gun at TI Alloys is useless as I've never seen it operational for more than a few seconds. As soon as it's repaired, it gets blown back up by guns from the hill.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The Magrider is so ridiculously good I switch to my Vanu guy anytime I feel like tank fighting.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Oh but apparently the NC have the best tank. :p

Perhaps stat/numbers wise, but in multiplayer speed and mobility trump all. Everything else can be compensated/overcome with skill, so the Magrider becomes the best tank in the hands of a capable driver.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Perhaps stat/numbers wise, but in multiplayer speed and mobility trump all. Everything else can be compensated/overcome with skill, so the Magrider becomes the best tank in the hands of a capable driver.

Yes its quite agitating that its able to strafe left and right. Makes long distance tank battles really lopsided in VS's favor.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011

Yes its quite agitating that its able to strafe left and right. Makes long distance tank battles really lopsided in VS's favor.

Agreed. The devs seem to think that because something might be more "difficult" or "different" to use, that it's less capable. This kind of thinking is why there are still fundamental issues with the balance of the vehicle game.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
They changed how certs are earned. Used to be somewhat static, but now I think each cert point is around 250xp. So a base capture will yield you 2 cert points. I think you get a couple of bonus certs for moving up a BR too.

I'm usually behind the lines causing ruckus so the only time I pay attention to cert points is when I log in.

You don't get cert for moving up in BR..I think its a bug, but i have not got any yet.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Played for about a half hour last night. I never played Planetside 1 so I was pretty confused as to what the hell was going on. I got smoked and quit. Looks like it could be fun though, but it also seems to have a steep learning curve.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Played for about a half hour last night. I never played Planetside 1 so I was pretty confused as to what the hell was going on. I got smoked and quit. Looks like it could be fun though, but it also seems to have a steep learning curve.

Step 1: Log in
Step 2: Learn how to shoot (hint: move mouse around, click button, just like other games)
Step 3: Wander around until you find one of the BIG ASS flying things, walk up to it and press E
Step 4: Wait for big ass flying thing to take off and fly somewhere
Step 5: Get ejected out over a hot zone
Step 6: Die
Step 7: Respawn at nearest respawn point
Step 8: Run around looking for people with red arrow over their head
Step 9: Shoot at people with red arrow over their head
Step 10: ...
Step 11: Profit!

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Lots of rage quit bugs with this game. I grow tired of getting stuck on little steps in bases, or using all my rockets on one tank just to get zero exp for the effort. Did you know a engineer can repair a tank before you can kill it. lol

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Also from the sides. As with tanks in real life, they are most heavily armored in the front. Which also means as a tank driver, you want to keep your front facing the direction of attack.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Step 2: Learn how to shoot (hint: move mouse around, click button, just like other games)
Step 3: Wander around until you find one of the BIG ASS flying things, walk up to it and press E

Or you can watch some youtube guides. Just search Planetside 2 guide and something useful should show up.

An Outfit call Sunder was running an op last night and had an open squad to get more guys. We tried assaulting the Mani biodome but wasn't successful. While playing with an organized squad was fun, it sure had a lot of down time. I guess that will always be case when trying to coordinate a large group.
trying to hit the dome after using the jump pads is pretty nuts. You all land in the same spot so the enemy is just mowing you down. Seems you need air support just pounding them while everyone lands.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

Thanks SunnyD. Step 6 frustrates me. I keep sitting there thinking : "What is the parachute key!??? Bastards killed me again kicking me out of plane!" Good to know step 6 is normal.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Are there two different maps on each server? I joined a squad I had played with the other day and was trying to join with them. I couldn't see them on the map or find any of the locations they were at. I was on the Esmair continent and they were saying locations like Crossroads and Snake Valley. How do you jump between them? Also how do you see the grid coordinates on the map?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Are there two different maps on each server? I joined a squad I had played with the other day and was trying to join with them. I couldn't see them on the map or find any of the locations they were at. I was on the Esmair continent and they were saying locations like Crossroads and Snake Valley. How do you jump between them? Also how do you see the grid coordinates on the map?

Yes, two different continents. You can switch by using the terminals located in the main spawn room for each faction's warpgate.

Map grids can be enabled from the map, should be on your right side.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Thanks SunnyD. Step 6 frustrates me. I keep sitting there thinking : "What is the parachute key!??? Bastards killed me again kicking me out of plane!" Good to know step 6 is normal.

What I noticed - I'm not sure if this is normal of if I'm missing something - if YOU bail from a Galaxy yourself (hit the E key as it's flying), if you hit the E key a few times on the way down you won't take (much) damage. However, if the pilot hotdrops (ejects) you from the Galaxy, no matter what you do, when you hit the ground you go splat.

Not sure if this is a bug or intended - I "think" it may be a bug given there's a vehicle upgrade for some of the aircraft for ejection seats that allow the "pilot" to safely eject. But this shouldn't possibly be necessary for one of the intended functions of a troop transport vehicle.