Pizza Shop Owner Faces Boycott For Welcoming Obama

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
This has got to be the dumbest story I've heard about Obama haters. I mean..did you expect the guy to be an asshole to the President because you don't like him?

This is just a risk you take when you overtly mix your business with politics or religious belief. In general, if a businessman keeps his religion and politics to himself, few people will notice or care. But when he takes it public, he makes himself fair game for a boycott.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This is just a risk you take when you overtly mix your business with politics or religious belief. In general, if a businessman keeps his religion and politics to himself, few people will notice or care. But when he takes it public, he makes himself fair game for a boycott.

Agreed.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

Please explain the overtly part. He was being recognized for his work with blood donations. I'd expect any American to be stoked that the President was honoring their community-benefiting actions.

I suppose the "right" thing for him to do was reject the visit to make a political statement?

Overt in my book would be him actively campaigning and using his restaurant to influence people to support one candidate over another. Being enthusiastic that the president would come to my business and recognize my community work? That's being a decent human being.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001

This isn't about political affiliation. If the POTUS wants to congratulate you only a ridiculously partisan moron would say no. I guarantee you that Obama is/has given recognition to plenty of people that are conservative and I guarantee you that Dubya gave recognition to liberals.

You'd have to be completely blinded by partisan idiotic my team is better than your team bias to see this as anything other than the current sitting POTUS giving kudos. Pathetic.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This isn't about political affiliation. If the POTUS wants to congratulate you only a ridiculously partisan moron would say no. I guarantee you that Obama is/has given recognition to plenty of people that are conservative and I guarantee you that Dubya gave recognition to liberals.

You'd have to be completely blinded by partisan idiotic my team is better than your team bias to see this as anything other than the current sitting POTUS giving kudos. Pathetic.

agreed.

but that does not change what the poster said. Sadly the state of politics today is not whats best for the country. it's whats best for the party. So while i agree If i had Obama or hell even Romney coming to congratulate me on helping the area damn right i would accept it. I don't blame the pizza shop owner a bit it in. that a high compliment!

but some only care that he had the DEM President in his store. they don't care why. just he was there.

it would be the same if it was Romney. people are fucking idiots.

That is one of the things about owning a business. people are idiots and shit like this happens.

if it was good pizza i would still eat there.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

I'm not a fan of boycotts but that's the risk you take, I have a feeling that he was hoping that the public would flood his establishment after this story.