Pistol-Packing Soccer Mom Sues Sheriff

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The Sheriff's actions garner a HUGE WTF here, IMO.

My opinion is based on the bolded parts below.

Your thoughts?

Pistol-Packing Pennsylvania Soccer Mom Sues Sheriff
Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. ? A Pennsylvania woman Monday sued a county sheriff who revoked her concealed-weapons permit after she upset fellow parents by wearing her holstered pistol to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game.

Meleanie Hain alleges in a suit filed in a Harrisburg federal court that Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo violated her Second Amendment rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took away her permit in September.

Hain, 30, successfully appealed the revocation last month, although the judge who restored her permit questioned her judgment and said she "scared the devil" out of others who attended the Sept. 11 soccer game.

Hain said Monday her home-based baby-sitting service has suffered, her children have been harassed, and she has been ostracized by her neighbors because of DeLeo's actions. In one instance, she said, a neighbor who saw Hain in a local store had the manager ask her to leave because she was carrying her handgun.

"I fought for my right, and now I'm still being punished," she said.

DeLeo's office referred questions to the county's attorney, George Christianson, who did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.

DeLeo said at Hain's Oct. 14 appeal hearing he pulled her license after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a section of state law that prohibits concealed-weapons permits from being given to people whose character and reputation make them a danger to public safety.

Hain has said she previously carried her handgun openly to soccer games and practices and other public places without any problem. Her attorney, Matthew Weisberg, said DeLeo had no legal right to take away her permit.

"The sheriff just rides into town and without any hearing, explanation or anything, takes away her license and forces her into court," Weisberg said.

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
Not really enough detail regarding the end of the second bolded portion. Lady carries a concealed weapon to a kid's soccer game that everyone apparently can clearly see?

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
You know, in my younger, more foolish days, I used to think, why would anyone need a gun at a 5 yr old's soccer game?

but now i'm older and more mature and I REALIZE that those 5 yr old's soccer games are nothing but death traps.

seriously. after you've seen what i've seen at a 5 yr old's soccer game, you'd be packing heat too.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Dear stupid bitch, It's called concealed carry, not show off carry. Don't go around town acting like you're the fucking sheriff, showing off your fucking gun, and people wouldn't give you the eye.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: IGBT
..if you have a CW keep it to your self.

Yeah, I think her main problem is she carried openly. It's not illegal, but for some illogical reason it seems to panic people.

calvinbiss

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Lamont Burns
Not really enough detail regarding the end of the second bolded portion. Lady carries a concealed weapon to a kid's soccer game that everyone apparently can clearly see?

I am with this. If the permit is for a concealed weapon and she carried it openly, then should abused her right and the permit should be taken away.

I don't know the law in Penn, but if there is no open carry statue, then she is in the wrong.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Maybe when she started yelling to her kid on the soccer field to "shoot! shoot!" people misunderstood her intentions.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused

Yeah, I think her main problem is she carried openly. It's not illegal, but for some illogical reason it seems to panic people.

Tough shit, its legal.

Religion scares the shit out of me but its still legal

Sep 29, 2004
A Pennsylvania woman Monday sued a county sheriff who revoked her concealed-weapons permit after she upset fellow parents by wearing her holstered pistol to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game.

/thread

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: SampSon
There is always more to the story.

Indeed -

DeLeo said at Hain's Oct. 14 appeal hearing he pulled her license after fielding the parents' complaints.

There's obviously some basis for the removal that was not offered up to the reporter in writing the article. My guess is that she has a habit of NOT concealing an otherwise concealed weapon for reasons probably toward intimidation of other parties.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: calvinbiss

I am with this. If the permit is for a concealed weapon and she carried it openly, then should abused her right and the permit should be taken away.

I don't know the law in Penn, but if there is no open carry statue, then she is in the wrong.

Well, we don't know the whole story. There are varying degrees of CW, such as a belt holster under an open over-shirt or jacket that is only visible in certain situations, etc.

At any rate, what she did is not grounds for losing her permit and 2nd Amendment rights. She endangered no one and violated no one's rights.

If mindless hysteria were a basis for taking away our rights, none of us would have any rights.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Baked
Dear stupid bitch, It's called concealed carry, not show off carry. Don't go around town acting like you're the fucking sheriff, showing off your fucking gun, and people wouldn't give you the eye.

As far as common sense is concerned I agree with you. If you feel the necessity to carry your gun to a 5 years old's soccer game then at least keep it out of sight. "If you play with fire you get burned." She should have known better and the fact that she didn't does call her judgment and character into question. Whether or not that is enough to take away her CW permit I do not know and will let the lawyers figure that one out.

Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer

Tough shit, its legal.

Religion scares the shit out of me but its still legal

Correct, but it was still a stupid decision. No one should need a law in place to understand that kind of common sense.

SN4p

Jan 20, 2005

Open carry is legal in PA. She did nothing wrong. I hate pussies.

I'm more worried about the rest of the (fucking idiot) soccer moms driving big SUVs and talking on cell phones... l2drive please.

SN4p

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: G Wizard
except maybe scream & act like a psycho at the soccer game?

That's illegal?

Granted it's in poor taste and makes you look like an idiot. But it's not illegal.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SN4p

Open carry is legal in PA.

Ah! So she did nothing illegal nor did she breach the terms of her permit.

If she did, then she acted like all the other parents and fit in rather than stood out?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Those who treat guns like a toy or something to make them look bad ass should not be allowed to have guns.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
She is "still being punished" because of her behavior. I need more details on what this behavior entailed before I can decide if anyone was wronged here.

However, based on what I think to be the case (people are afraid of guns and they think this lady is a bitch), this lady needs to keep her gun and get an attitude adjustment. It sounds like the Sheriff was doing his job.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005

That's illegal?

Granted it's in poor taste and makes you look like an idiot. But it's not illegal.

and say she were acting in this way.

absolutely ranting and raving at her kid, at the ref, at the coach, whatever, while having a pistol displayed at her hip and you wouldn't feel slightly disconcerted by this?

we've all seen parents that act completely ridiculous at these events...and you'd be fine w/ one of these with a gun on display?

someone bringing / showing off their gun at 5 yr olds soccer game has some serious mental problems.

to me, this law reads as if its a privilege, not a right. otherwise, they wouldn't be selective in who gets to carry, right?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry

To summarize, open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a License To Carry Firearms except in "cities of the first class" (Philadelphia) and vehicles where a License To Carry Firearms is required to do so.

With that said, we would like to point out that there is much debate among firearm owners about whether openly carrying firearms is really a good idea. While we will leave that choice to the individual we will state that in many urban areas (namely Philadelphia) doing so will draw unwanted attention from law enforcement that may include (but not be limited to) the following repercussions:

1. Being stopped and questioned by law enforcement.
2. Having your License To Carry Firearms seized and sent back for revocation.
3. Being arrested either improperly or for other charges like disturbing the peace or creating a public nuisance.

While this may not happen should you choose to carry openly, many urban law enforcement officers we have talked to have expressed a very negative opinion towards the idea. Some have suggested that law enforcement will do everything in their power to make your life difficult should you choose to.

DeLeo said at Hain's Oct. 14 appeal hearing he pulled her license after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a section of state law that prohibits concealed-weapons permits from being given to people whose character and reputation make them a danger to public safety.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

Open carry is legal in PA. She did nothing wrong. I hate pussies.

I'm more worried about the rest of the (fucking idiot) soccer moms driving big SUVs and talking on cell phones... l2drive please.

According to Wikipedia PA is -

Anomalous Open Carry States - In these states, open carry is generally lawful, but the state may lack preemption or there may be other significant restrictions