Pilot who dropped bomb on Hiroshima died.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the decision to use the "bomb", this guy was just doing his job. It wasn't his job to decide the target or the munitions, it was his job to follow orders. They where sent on a damn near suicide mission and he got the job done and got his men home. For that, I consider this man a hero, may he rest in peace.

Blame the politicians if you disagree with the tactics.

The "just following orders" excuse doesn't wash if in fact the order is morally wrong. A soldier can defy orders. He/she shouldn't do it lightly and without significant thought on the matter, but a person does a certain moral responsibility for thier own actions, ordered or not. Even the Uniform Code of Military Justice allows for the disobedience of an unlawful order without penalty. Take a look at the My Lai Massacre for an interesting case study.

dude seriously STFU. fighting a war in the 40's was a whole lot different than it is today. YOU CAN NOT COMPARE THE TWO! nobody gave a damn about killing civilians on any sides. And before you start spouting of your barracks lawyer speak of the UCMJ i would love to know what law school you graduated from what branch you served in.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
I'd be willing to bet you'd have to look loing and hard to find aWW2 vet who was training for the invasion of Japan that didn't support Truman's decision 110%.

We can all remember were we were when we first heard of the JFK assasination or Walter Cronkite and Neil Armstrong voices [...] but those memories would all pale in comparison to the memory of finding out you didn't have to invade the Janpanese homeland.
There are more than a few of us who simply wouldn't have ever been born if we'd invaded.

That stark fact kind of puts the otherwise terribly sad decision to obliterate Hiroshima and Nagasaki in a very special and compelling perspective.

War sucks, but we owe eveything to the Americans who answered their country's call in WWII.

And every one of them who faced actual combat will tell you without hesitation (but only if pressed), that the real heroes are the ones who never returned.
rose.gif

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the decision to use the "bomb", this guy was just doing his job. It wasn't his job to decide the target or the munitions, it was his job to follow orders. They where sent on a damn near suicide mission and he got the job done and got his men home. For that, I consider this man a hero, may he rest in peace.

The "just following orders" excuse doesn't wash if in fact the order is morally wrong. A soldier can defy orders. He/she shouldn't do it lightly and without significant thought on the matter, but a person does a certain moral responsibility for thier own actions, ordered or not. Even the Uniform Code of Military Justice allows for the disobedience of an unlawful order without penalty. Take a look at the My Lai Massacre for an interesting case study.

dude seriously STFU. fighting a war in the 40's was a whole lot different than it is today. YOU CAN NOT COMPARE THE TWO! nobody gave a damn about killing civilians on any sides. And before you start spouting of your barracks lawyer speak of the UCMJ i would love to know what law school you graduated from what branch you served in.

Wait wait, so because the Japanese ruthless raped and murdered people that gave the US right to do the same? And we then claim moral superiority?

You either get one or the other, not both.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Originally posted by: Citrix

Wait wait, so because the Japanese ruthless raped and murdered people that gave the US right to do the same? And we then claim moral superiority?

You either get one or the other, not both.

In World War 2 Civilians were seen as just collateral damage of legitimate bombing raids. The conventional strategic bombing of both Japan and Germany was seen as way to damage their ability to make war. The use of atomic bombs was just considered a more efficient way of carrying out this mission. Really the more precise discussion should be about the use of large scale strategic bombing raids by the Allies to defeat the Axis. For instance is the killing of civilians through a bombing raid to achieve a military aim the same as killing civilians in a gas chamber? Unfortunately when you fight a war both sides have to commit "evil" acts to bring closure to the conflict. I get the impression from your post that you consider the act of dropping bombs on a city the same moral equivalent as killing civilians in a gas chamber, is this correct?

tjaisv

Banned
Oct 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: jjsole
Much more shameful than one man dropping an atom bomb on 80,000 people is the impact our country has had over the years, directly and indirectly, in aiding nuclear proliferation in different parts of the world.

Every time I see you nik for some reason my brain reads it as "jizzhole", then I read your post and I understand why.

lol