Pics of Farve's injuries after the Saints beat down

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
If he wanted to play he should have decided that sooner. If so I guarantee you he would still be a packer. That's the problem people have with him (most of us at least). That and the fact that he's never going to win the big one again because of the INTs under pressure.

He was a damn fine QB, one of the better ones all time (not top10 but top25). But let's not pretend like he's perfect or didn't have anything to do with why the "shit-talk" happens.

He should have decided sooner? Come on that is bullshit.

I've decided that Packers fans are now the all-sports drama queens of crying.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Thats the main point right there. Nobody in Wisconsin is ungrateful for the years of service he provided us. He will ALWAYS be one of the great Packers in our hearts and minds. However, once you put on that purple jersey you are (or at least should be) the enemy. Period. What if general macarthur, after WWII went and lived in and worked for Japan? You'd hate the guy. Nobody cared when Favre went to the Jets because they weren't the enemy.
I'm fine with Packers fans not liking Favre because he's a player on the Vikings, and they hate the Vikings, but I don't get all the "traitor" stuff.

The MacArthur comparison is invalid.....playing football is a job and a privilege....not the same as betraying one's country. Not even close. QB for the Packers is just a job. A very well-paying job, but a job.
You don't owe the fans one single thing other than your best effort while you're employed there.

But calling him "traitor" is just whiny, unrealistic crap. Packers let him go, he went somewhere else that wanted to pay him. He owes the Packers nothing, except to try and beat the crap out of them (which he did) every time they play the Vikings.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i'll admit that I dont follow football. I started hearing about Favre when the media was playing up his retire/unretire cycles, and my initial impression of him was a pansy ass. But the more I find out about him, the more i come to respect him

I am a lifelong bears fan. so yeah i know a lot about favre. He may be alot of things but pansie is NOT one of them. One of the toughest QB's to play the game. BUT i remember a story about another QB from the 60-70's that was tougher. didnt have as long or as good of a job but he was a tough mean sob.

i bet he comes back next year. i don't expect more then 1-2 years though. while he is still damn good i think even he knows that its getting time to hang it up.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I am a lifelong bears fan. so yeah i know a lot about favre. He may be alot of things but pansie is NOT one of them. One of the toughest QB's to play the game. BUT i remember a story about another QB from the 60-70's that was tougher. didnt have as long or as good of a job but he was a tough mean sob.

i bet he comes back next year. i don't expect more then 1-2 years though. while he is still damn good i think even he knows that its getting time to hang it up.

Who was the qb? you cna't just throw something like that out there and not finish it waggy! :/

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Who was the qb? you cna't just throw something like that out there and not finish it waggy! :/

yeah and its driving me nuts i can't remember it. sigh i bet at 3 am i will wake up knowing who it is and no i won't come down to post heh

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm fine with Packers fans not liking Favre because he's a player on the Vikings, and they hate the Vikings, but I don't get all the "traitor" stuff.

The MacArthur comparison is invalid.....playing football is a job and a privilege....not the same as betraying one's country. Not even close. QB for the Packers is just a job. A very well-paying job, but a job.
You don't owe the fans one single thing other than your best effort while you're employed there.

But calling him "traitor" is just whiny, unrealistic crap. Packers let him go, he went somewhere else that wanted to pay him. He owes the Packers nothing, except to try and beat the crap out of them (which he did) every time they play the Vikings.

Well it was a bit of an exaggeration of course. But the point is still the same. I don't feel he (Favre) is a "traitor". He has/had all the right to still want to play and didn't "owe" the Packers anything. I would never label him as a "traitor" but I will label him as the enemy now. And a BIG enemy at that. Not only did he go to what many MANY people believe are the Packers biggest rivals, but by going there he made them better than the Packers. No Favre on the Vikings and who wins the NFC North?

What I hate about Favre, and those that support him and his (in)decisions is that he felt the Packers owed him. For what? He was, to use a similar analogy, a soldier, and we paid him VERY handsomely for that and pretty much made him a God King throughout the state. But then he put himself ahead of the team and acted shocked and betrayed and angry when the team made a decision for him. My God! Imagine that. The GM making the move which is best for the team both presently and in the future too. And poor Favre started crying foul.

I wish him the best, and hope he plays as long as he wants and is able to. I will even say that once he takes off the purple jersey, me along with many Packers fans will welcome him back with open arms. But... BUT... its unquestionable that his legacy isn't tainted at this point. He could have retired as that God King, but he played his cards horribly.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
He will play until he gets seriously injured

He is going to be living in pain for the rest of his life from all the hits he has taken over the years. Maybe all the new hits he takes keeps his mind off that.

Feb 16, 2005
For what he's paid? I'd take that beating 14 times a year for the paycheck.

I think we can safely (and honestly) say that if any of us took that kind of beating we'd be in the hospital for a pretty long stretch. He's tough as hell, get over it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My understanding was the opposing team deliberately hammered him so the Vikings would not make it to the Super Bowl, and if they did, Farve would be fucked up so bad they would probably lose.

Any truth to this?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
My understanding was the opposing team deliberately hammered him so the Vikings would not make it to the Super Bowl, and if they did, Farve would be fucked up so bad they would probably lose.

Any truth to this?

Saints defense is out to set a message. They blew up Kurt Warner the week before. And he retired. Maybe they will go 2 for 2 on getting QB's to retire if Favre calls it quits.

If I was Manning I'd be a little anxious about my well being.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

Any truth to this?

He didn't say it specifically, but gregg williams did say he likes to have his players hit the quarterback to remember them. i think they were called "remember me hits"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/02/mediaday/index.html

it's not like this really should be an issue anyway, the one thing that ALWAYS gets into a qb's head is getting hit.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
Saints defense is out to set a message. They blew up Kurt Warner the week before. And he retired. Maybe they will go 2 for 2 on getting QB's to retire if Favre calls it quits.

If I was Manning I'd be a little anxious about my well being.

I cant wait to see them get stomped out by the Colts.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Well it was a bit of an exaggeration of course. But the point is still the same. I don't feel he (Favre) is a "traitor". He has/had all the right to still want to play and didn't "owe" the Packers anything. I would never label him as a "traitor" but I will label him as the enemy now. And a BIG enemy at that. Not only did he go to what many MANY people believe are the Packers biggest rivals, but by going there he made them better than the Packers. No Favre on the Vikings and who wins the NFC North?

What I hate about Favre, and those that support him and his (in)decisions is that he felt the Packers owed him. For what? He was, to use a similar analogy, a soldier, and we paid him VERY handsomely for that and pretty much made him a God King throughout the state. But then he put himself ahead of the team and acted shocked and betrayed and angry when the team made a decision for him. My God! Imagine that. The GM making the move which is best for the team both presently and in the future too. And poor Favre started crying foul.

I wish him the best, and hope he plays as long as he wants and is able to. I will even say that once he takes off the purple jersey, me along with many Packers fans will welcome him back with open arms. But... BUT... its unquestionable that his legacy isn't tainted at this point. He could have retired as that God King, but he played his cards horribly.
He is a God King, just not in the eyes of you whiny byotches. He went to play for another team and you lots got butt hurt. Screw pacfans! With a large football, side way.

PimpJuice

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2005
My God! Imagine that. The GM making the move which is best for the team both presently and in the future too. And poor Favre started crying foul.

The difference is that Favre stopped crying but Packer fans still keep crying about it.

ZOOYUKA

Platinum Member
Jan 24, 2005
He will always be the interception king! I doubt anyone will ever touch that record. Has anyone else blown to conference championship games by throwing an interception?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
He will always be the interception king! I doubt anyone will ever touch that record. Has anyone else blown to conference championship games by throwing an interception?

Peyton could. He has 181 INTs so far and could easily play until he's 40, too.

He's averaging 15 per season in his 12 years in the league.

It's not impossible.