Question Picking a new GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My RX 580 GPU somehow got fried. I don't think it's under warranty - it was shipped as an RMA over 2 years ago - so I probably need a new one. I have a nice Acer 34" freesync monitor, which pretty much limits me to AMD. 5700 XT is recommended. This is to go with an older Intel i7-4790, and ASRock Extreme6.

Gaming Nexus ranked them, and said XFX has the word, the best is gigabyte and Sapphire. Sapphire is looking a little better side by side. There are two on Amazon $50 apart, it's hard to tell the difference - only the ports?

Last edited:

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
well all he needs is a freesync card, 1080ti will do that, thats exactly what i recommend too. unless you are a die hard AMD fan i dont understand why anyone would purchase one. And YES SO MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING issues with their cards, not me of course because i havnt purchased a amd card since the 270x and it still runs fine in a pc i gave away.
Why do you people wanna make someone buy used cards when he asked advice about buying a new card, a specific type, and he just doesn't know which manufacturer's which model is best suited for him? Then you even go ahead and tell us if we don't think you're right then we're die hard AMD fans.

Cool thread so far.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was thinking, if he was getting along with an RX 580, my RX 570 might limp him along long enough that he could choose a Navi2-based card with AMD's RT capabilities, when the new consoles show up. I think an RX 5700 / 5700XT is fine for now too, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but if you tend to keep your cards for a few years, then perhaps now is not the best time to buy, at least until we know what kind of hardware the consoles are going to sport, and what we need for hardware on the PC side to play console ports from this new batch of consoles.

I'm mostly just mining these days, rather than gaming, some DC thrown in occasionally. Polaris has seen better days as far as profitability for mining purposes, but it still has some gaming legs left, at 1080P (or possibly even below).

Plus, I kind of rather owe @Craig234 a bit of an apology.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Sorry, somebody asking to buy a *NEW* card should not be pointed at buying an old used card. And again, "many" is an indeterminate guess.
Why do you people wanna make someone buy used cards when he asked advice about buying a new card, a specific type, and he just doesn't know which manufacturer's which model is best suited for him? Then you even go ahead and tell us if we don't think you're right then we're die hard AMD fans.

Cool thread so far.

well when someone says a new gpu, i could take it two ways, new as in new to them / different, or brand new in box with warranty. there is also new in open box, new never used etc etc, i didnt see it stated that needed to explicitly had to have warranty, that it had to be a 5700xt, pretty sure im allowed to have a different opinion and how i would spend my money would be a used card, but i buy used cars too (i guess a little different since cars can be repaired easier) i buy my clothes used too ;P nvidia does freesync as well and they are considering 2060 super which is a huge step down from a 1080ti. funny im "making them buy a used card" wish i could make anyone do anything just isnt happening in this day and age.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
well when someone says a new gpu, i could take it two ways, new as in new to them / different, or brand new in box with warranty. there is also new in open box, new never used etc etc, i didnt see it stated that needed to explicitly had to have warranty, that it had to be a 5700xt, pretty sure im allowed to have a different opinion and how i would spend my money would be a used card, but i buy used cars too (i guess a little different since cars can be repaired easier) i buy my clothes used too ;P nvidia does freesync as well and they are considering 2060 super which is a huge step down from a 1080ti. funny im "making them buy a used card" wish i could make anyone do anything just isnt happening in this day and age.

I don't see the value in a used 1080 Ti. They seem to go $440 and up used on ebay unless you're looking for blowers. At that price you're so close to the 5% faster 2070 Super that you can get with a three year warranty, raytacing, and DLSS. Plus the 2070 Super is on a newer architecture that will get better driver support from Nvidia.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
You could take it 2 ways: either you actually read what they write or just say your bias and call other people die hard AMD fans. Why you chose the second option is beyond me.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I don't see the value in a used 1080 Ti. They seem to go $440 and up used on ebay unless you're looking for blowers. At that price you're so close to the 5% faster 2070 Super that you can get with a three year warranty, raytacing, and DLSS. Plus the 2070 Super is on a newer architecture that will get better driver support from Nvidia.

OK ill change it to 2070 super recommendation brand new. hopefully that will solve all the silly back and forth. i havnt priced them tho so not exactly sure how much they really cost tho :)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The difference between FreeSync 1 and 2 is not a big deal. FreeSync2 is more like a certification than a new standard. It means that the monitor meets certain standards. Many older monitors that aren't labeled "FreeSync2" can still meet that standard. The major issue is that in theory a 60Hz monitor can have it but won't see much benefit. If FPS are below a certain threshold, FreeSync can't work unless the monitor's max refresh is rated at least 2.5 times higher than it's minimum refresh. In practice, that means a freesync display with a max refresh rate under 120 can't use FreeSync when FPS are low.

If you get a 5700 XT and are gaming at 1080p, this is not a problem because FPS won't be low for a few generations of games, at least.

I think you're going to be fine with either Gigabyte or Sapphire cards. I would note that the Sapphire is wider/shorter while the gigabyte is narrower/longer in 3 fan config; make sure the cards will fit your case! Despite only 2 fans, the Sapphire looks like it has excellent cooling. I know, because I can't afford either right now and am very ready to replace my GTX 970 now that I have a 1440p monitor: I browser window shop video cards and read reviews a lot.

My monitor is an Acer 34" 1440p. Thanks for the info. I still don't quite feel I know the difference between the two Sapphire cards above, not that I'm locked into a 5700 xt, but it looks like a good option. People are talking about 'wait for new cards this year', but with the old one fried, not a good option.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
@Craig234 you may have missed it, virtual larry offered to send you an RX570 as a replacement for the cost of shipping. he also said he's sorry he's a butt sometimes.

Thank you, I did. I'll take a look. Says something good about him to be able to say that. Edit: I appreciate the offer; is a 570 a good pick for 1440p?

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Thank you, I did. I'll take a look. Says something good about him to be able to say that. Edit: I appreciate the offer; is a 570 a good pick for 1440p?
you're not going to be able to play the latest shooters with all the details up. it'll be a touch behind your 580. but if the 580 was sufficient, the 570 should also be sufficient.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Its not the best option, but for $20 bucks, its not a bad option.

For the two Sapphire 5700 XT cards, I kind of mentioned it above. The Pulse is shorter, so better option for smaller cases, but it will run a bit warmer and louder because of the cooler. The Nitro+ with that bigger cooler and three fans may have more OC headroom, and can run quieter in similar conditions because of the better cooler. Both cards have a dual BIOS, both cards turn the fans off when idle, but cards have the same chip and memory. The added cost is for the cooler and back plate design.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Thanks for all the tips. I'm not familiar with the upcoming cards, but hearing some say 'wait for those', and since the 580 was just fine, I'm thinking maybe take the nice offer on the 570 for the time being and then consider whether it's worth an upgrade later - sound good?

As we all know, there's a reward for waiting to get new parts until we need them, I say as someone who has bought years early (I still have like a 10 year old new PS sitting here among various parts but got a new one anyway).

Reactions: Charlie98

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
The comment I saw was 'if you've waited to get a new gaming GPU this long, wait for the new (forgot the name) coming out later this year'.
hdmi 2.1!! its super important to me..... hdmi2.1 will do 4k@120hz 8k@60hz etc.. but you might not care since you have a budget of 400$ on the gfx card and you will definitely need a new tv and card to appreciate it.
first link from google..

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
well all he needs is a freesync card, 1080ti will do that, thats exactly what i recommend too. unless you are a die hard AMD fan i dont understand why anyone would purchase one. And YES SO MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING issues with their cards, not me of course because i havnt purchased a amd card since the 270x and it still runs fine in a pc i gave away.

I love the 1080 ti, but let it die. RX 5700 XT will provide essentially identical performance at a cheaper price. And shoot, I got the GTX 1070 at launch and my PC would freeze when idle for the first few months. Oh and the crazy high audio latency issue as well.... Took awhile to get fixed. Still loved my 1070.

Reactions: Ottonomous and lobz

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I don't know if you all are aware of this, but there's a $100 price difference between the cheapest 5700XT and 2070S. Just saying.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I don't know if you all are aware of this, but there's a $100 price difference between the cheapest 5700XT and 2070S. Just saying.
what are you still on about? he already said he will buy larrys card for 20 and see what happens in future. for some people 100$ isnt alot of money, he already decided no need to keep the rants going.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
hdmi 2.1!! its super important to me..... hdmi2.1 will do 4k@120hz 8k@60hz etc.. but you might not care since you have a budget of 400$ on the gfx card and you will definitely need a new tv and card to appreciate it.
first link from google..

I didn't say I have a firm budget of $400; I said it's based more on 'sweet spot' and value, and that the cards that look pretty good were priced around that. But I do have a more expensive monitor 3-4 years old 34" 1440p that I'm not planning to replace for a long time. I also just got an Odyssey+ VR for light use.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
what are you still on about? he already said he will buy larrys card for 20 and see what happens in future. for some people 100$ isnt alot of money, he already decided no need to keep the rants going.
So from that moment I'm not allowed to reply to previous posts. Good to know, always happy to hear the new rules. Though next time, please let me know in advance. Thanks.

Also, then why are you still ranting?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
So from that moment I'm not allowed to reply to previous posts. Good to know, always happy to hear the new rules. Though next time, please let me know in advance. Thanks.

Also, then why are you still ranting?
funny the op is asking diff questions but you are only focused on me, maybe because it hit a nerve. haha thnx for the laughs, keep going on and on please dont worry about the op just focus on what YOU think is important to spout about. as far as hdmi 2.1 i think it is not needed since your acer 34" only has hdmi 1.4 and you plan on using it.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good stuff, I agree best to use Larry's card till the new ones are out.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I think it's a good choice. I'd get by with the 570 and wait for better cards at better prices later this year.
Bravo to you larry,nice offer.

What better new card are you getting for $400 this year though? We only know Big Navi is coming. Otherwise it'll just likely be rebrands from AMD lower in their product stack. As for Nvidia, we don't know if there will even be 7nm gaming cards this year, Ampere could be just for HPC. And if there are, I bet it'll be 70 series and up, which means $500 and up most likely.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
Another vote for Larry, I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB and its quite nice for 1080p60, running with a 5% Core OC, 0.98V and still cool as a cucumber

Wait for Q4 2020/Q1 2020, with 500USD on hand, for a 144hz or QHD monitor and whatever RDNA2 and Ampere bring at that price point. Pretty much guaranteed to drive those monitors and a bit more.

Reactions: ZGR

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Re: The RX 570 option, it appears to be 20% behind the 580 | 1060 in terms of performance.

At 1080p I wouldn't necessarily want lower performance than what I already get. Let alone for 1440p.

So use it to tide you over and wait if you want, just be aware of what to expect.