Physics FAIL in the Avengers movie? (SPOILER ALERT)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

LMAO that isn't far from the opening, he flew up for barely any time and then fell back for a very short time also before falling though the hole. I mean heck look at the guy went to skydive from 24 miles up.

You are a freaking idiot or have to be trolling. I don't think anyone is this stupid. I mean heck look at how large the opening is when he starts to fall it's clear it's still very close.

If the OP was correct you better not jump out of a plane if you want to skydive as you won't return to earth, same with a mountain you wouldn't return to earth if you jumped at the top of a mountain.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well, it does look like fusion considering that the arc reactor looks almost exactly like a tokamak with the swirling plasma.

But its supposed to be a extension of the energy that powers asgard. Howard Start started work to try and harness asgardian energy but was limited by the lack of advanced materials and elements to replicate it. This was the reason why when IM was hit by Thors lightning, it supercharged him. He runs off a man made version of that same energy.

He's a god, not a human. Thor was 1v1'ing Iron Man pretty easily. Loki can keep up with Thor so hes clearly very stron.

Also, he has knowledge of the Cube that the red skull didn't.
Interesting I didn't know the backstory.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How powerful is Loke? He was able to pickup the cosmic cube, but the red face guy in captain america totally got owned when he touched it.

Red skull was human. Loki in the movies is frost giant.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
*sigh* I don't even know where to begin.

Let's begin with the fail in the OP.
1. I'll give the OP some credit - he mentioned Newton's first law.
That's about it. Oh wait... that says, "unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." It's not in the absence of an unbalanced force - gravity.
In the frame of reference of the rocket, when he let go of the rocket, it would appear that he was moving backward. However, in the frame of reference of the Earth, he would have been moving forward (but slowing down, until he came to a stop - in the Earth's frame of reference - then started, or rather continued accelerating toward the Earth.

Another fail: the OP mentioned something about gravity - if he were traveling directly away from the Earth at 4000 miles per hour, it would have taken ONE HOUR before gravity dropped to half its value on the surface of the earth. (Actually, just a hair under an hour. I clearly don't remember that scene from the movie taking one hour. Isaac Newton figured out hundreds of years ago that the Moon goes around the Earth due to the influence of gravity. Apparently, the OP thinks it's magic.

All your bickering and arguing over lift, shape of the airfoil, etc. This is all it takes - if Bernoulli's is sufficient to explain how a plane stays in the air, explain inverted flight.

Also, if you drop a bullet and fire a bullet at the same time, which will hit the ground first? (Assuming flat ground) Answer: the dropped bullet, by a tiny, tiny, tiny amount. Why? Because the Earth is spherical, dumbasses. If the Earth was flat, they'd hit at the same time. But the Earth isn't flat - the Earth curves slightly away from the straight line path in the direction the bullet is traveling; that is, the bullet that's fired has to fall a tiny tiny bit farther in the vertical direction before it hits the Earth. And, assuming a perfectly spherical Earth, and no air resistance, a bullet could be fired at a velocity sufficient to simply put it into orbit around the Earth, albeit in an orbit 1 meter above the surface.

Fired objects don't follow parabolic trajectories - again, that assumes a flat Earth. They follow elliptical trajectories. Parabolic approximations - damn good enough.

Last edited:

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011
Blablablablabla

Can we get back on topic here, please? For fuck's sake! Look at Iron Man's penis!!

crappy-iron-man-500x667.jpg

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
The fact that you're watching an outrageous superhero movie with superhuman power, the laws of physics is the least of your concern. Noob.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Blablablablabla

Can we get back on topic here, please? For fuck's sake! Look at Iron Man's penis!!

crappy-iron-man-500x667.jpg

We're on a tech site, with mostly males posting. I think that one of the least likely things we'd want to talk about is the penis on some action hero. But, if that's your thing, whatever.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
I spent two hours plus last night watching that POS of a movie. I have had diarrheas that are more coherent than that pure piece of crap. In one single movie they managed to fuck up so many things that its mind boggling. The only redeeming thing in that whole mess is the on screen presence of ironman and the hulk. wtf is the deal with that archer dude and that stupid chick? fighting aliens with two nine milimeters?
also , whats with Samuel L Jackson? someone needed to tell him that it wasnt pulp fiction 2.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I was watching the ending of Avengers tonight and I noticed a physics FAIL. After Ironman redirects the nuclear missile through the portal, he lets go and starts falling back to Earth. Except, if you'll notice, he's in freaking space where the effect of gravity is minimal. Even if he were "falling", his rate of free fall would not be fast enough for him to fall through the portal before it closed.

There's a load of other shortcomings of the Avengers movie, but I'll defend it in this case - the wake of the nuclear blast pushed him in the direction of the portal. However, a wake of an explosion may require an atmosphere to interact with, not sure.

I remember reading somewhere once that fire is invisible in a zero gravity environment.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I spent two hours plus last night watching that POS of a movie. I have had diarrheas that are more coherent than that pure piece of crap. In one single movie they managed to fuck up so many things that its mind boggling. The only redeeming thing in that whole mess is the on screen presence of ironman and the hulk. wtf is the deal with that archer dude and that stupid chick? fighting aliens with two nine milimeters?
also , whats with Samuel L Jackson? someone needed to tell him that it wasnt pulp fiction 2.

I wouldn't quite call Avengers a piece of crap but I do think it is a two hour nerd orgasm, strong enough for them not to notice the lame ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDajL441mZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZkqC4Lz8dU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnuuLaZgww&feature=context-shows&list=SL

:)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006

People say this and yet they don't point out these flaws.

Hawkeye is superhuman,

The widow is more of a spy so she was out of place, but she is good at close combat.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
In order to swing two cars together by their bumpers and smash a villain between them, the car bumpers must be able to support the entire weight of the cars on the surface that Superman's hands directly contact PLUS all the additional forces that come from swinging them.

NOT LIKELY.

In order to hold a giant building while standing on pavement, the small patch of land under the hero's feet must be able to support the weight of the entire giant building PLUS the man himself.

NOT LIKELY.

Though he could technically be "flying," to relieve the forces on the ground while holding up a sky-scraper, it must be some magical form of flight that doesn't require equal and opposite opposing forces. There should be a crater around our hero. ZERO POINT ENERGY?! Forget cold fusion: That's way more useful than flying.

Just sit back and enjoy the show, folks.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
People say this and yet they don't point out these flaws.

Hawkeye is superhuman,

The widow is more of a spy so she was out of place, but she is good at close combat.

What super power does he have? In the movie he and Black Widow just seem to be you standard Hollywood action heroes as opposed to superheroes.

Oct 25, 2006
What super power does he have? In the movie he and Black Widow just seem to be you standard Hollywood action heroes as opposed to superheroes.

Hawkeye has supernatural aiming powers, unless you've been ignoring his 99.99%+ accuracy rating with a bow and arrow at long ranges and insane speeds.

BW is just a super spy.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I like how we're talking physics fail in a movie where a giant green monster would have to be 20x his size to have the leverage and mass to pick up the things he does, how Tony's arc reactor would have an energy/density output higher than the sun to do what he does, and the other guy has a magic hammer.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Hawkeye has supernatural aiming powers, unless you've been ignoring his 99.99%+ accuracy rating with a bow and arrow at long ranges and insane speeds.

BW is just a super spy.

Well heroes never miss in the movies unless its dramatic. :D

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I like how we're talking physics fail in a movie where a giant green monster would have to be 20x his size to have the leverage and mass to pick up the things he does, how Tony's arc reactor would have an energy/density output higher than the sun to do what he does, and the other guy has a magic hammer.

Actually he has the energy density equivalent to deuterium tritium fusion. I proved it above ;)

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
We cannot make portals so we have no idea really how portals and gravity would interact. In the movie it looks like the portal just is like a window to the earth with no special properties. Iron Man doesn't go very far above the portal so the force of gravity would act on him as if he were only a small bit higher above the surface of the earth than the portal.

Perfectly plausible, the rest of the movie however isn't which is necessary to have the characters that exist in this movie.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i think it's funny to watch the OP try to explain physics to other people when he doesn't even understand it himself.