Physics FAIL in the Avengers movie? (SPOILER ALERT)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I was watching the ending of Avengers tonight and I noticed a physics FAIL. After Ironman redirects the nuclear missile through the portal, he lets go and starts falling back to Earth. Except, if you'll notice, he's in freaking space where the effect of gravity is minimal. Even if he were "falling", his rate of free fall would not be fast enough for him to fall through the portal before it closed.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Who is to say the portal doesn't generate some gravity on its own.
Can't believe you even questioned this in a super heroes movie lol

Mar 16, 2005
i'd like to see a superhero movie where the superhero dies in the first 5 minutes and the rest of the movie is about WTF just happened.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
He was not that far away from earth, despite being through the portal. Gravity still would have leaked through into space on the other side.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
My physics question is: Can Thor fly? Or does he throw the hammer and goes wherever it go? How does he steer? Just wondering.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Lol, out of everything in the movie this is the one thing you pick? How about Hulk stopping a monster 100x his size?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
My physics question is: Can Thor fly? Or does he throw the hammer and goes wherever it go? How does he steer? Just wondering.

He can hover without the hammer as long as I believe it's nearby / in the same dimension but to fly around he uses the hammer although the spinning is just to get him off the ground.

At least in the movie it is as in other shows / comics he needs to use it like a helicopter to hover and in others he can fly without it.

Last edited:

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
I was watching the ending of Avengers tonight and I noticed a physics FAIL. After Ironman redirects the nuclear missile through the portal, he lets go and starts falling back to Earth. Except, if you'll notice, he's in freaking space where the effect of gravity is minimal. Even if he were "falling", his rate of free fall would not be fast enough for him to fall through the portal before it closed.

I don't think you understand physics the way you think you do.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
So there is a giant freaking portal to another part of the universe open above earth which thousands of aliens just used to invade us and you are worried about the "realism" of the gravity???

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
The fail is questioning the realism of the physics in a superhero movie.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006
Your mistake is somehow assuming that in space, the effect of gravity is minimal. I assume you also think the planets are kept in orbit around the sun by magic and the power of Jesus

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I don't think you understand physics the way you think you do.

What should have happened was after letting go, Ironman should have continued along the same path per Newton's 1st Law as the missile and slammed right into the alien ship.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I'm so glad that when I watch this type of film I'm able to completely separate fantasy/fiction from reality and enjoy myself.

Oct 25, 2006
What should have happened was after letting go, Ironman should have continued along the same path per Newton's 1st Law as the missile and slammed right into the alien ship.

Um, no. The missile has constant thrust. Scientists don't actually know how gravity propagates through space and so there is reason to believe that gravity could easily be leaking through the portal and causing everything around it to fall toward it.

So unless you have a better understanding of gravity than the top physicists of the world, you're wrong.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Just for giggles ... So you're assuming that the Earth would be exerting no gravitational force through the portal?

Oct 25, 2006
And yet they stay in orbit much longer than the time it took Ironman to fall to Earth.

They have very high tangential velocity. Ironman doesn't.

Now again, why wouldn't Earth gravity propogate through the portal? Is there some sort of physical explanation that only you know but not astrophysicists?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The hovering aircraft carrier didn't bother you?
I think you fail to sense the gravity of this situation.
The fact it's a movie based on comic books should give it more levity,

I heavily rely on compartmentalizing my logic and imagination.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
They have very high tangential velocity. Ironman doesn't.

Now again, why wouldn't Earth gravity propogate through the portal? Is there some sort of physical explanation that only you know but not astrophysicists?

LOL. Physics 101 kid. Velocity is directional.