Phishing Supreme. Anyone else?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Just testing the waters here, is it just me?

Or has phishing attempts risen bout a factor 1000? Both emails and texts ... Just waiting for the snailmail to join the club.

It's within the last month. Anyone else?

And its every single thing I have an account on. Some times the language is perfect other time lacking 5% ... But it's not 100% without skill.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The bulk of the email I get is phishing scams. My gmail account is so polluted I don't even look at it.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Just testing the waters here, is it just me?

Or has phishing attempts risen bout a factor 1000? Both emails and texts ... Just waiting for the snailmail to join the club.

It's within the last month. Anyone else?

And its every single thing I have an account on. Some times the language is perfect other time lacking 5% ... But it's not 100% without skill.
AI made scam mails :p

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't know if the incoming spam/scam mail has increased, but it sure seems like gmail's built-in spam filter is getting worse at blocking them.

I have multiple gmail accounts and most spam is limited to one of them which I use for random crap online.

However, on a few of the other accounts that are used for specific purposes, more of the obvious spam mails are coming through in my inboxes. These are mails that you can tell are spam/scam simply from the subject line.

How does a spam filter get worse? I'd think if anything, it'd get better over time. Silly me.

Reactions: cytg111
Dec 10, 2005
I find it goes in waves. Some months, it seems like I get a ton of spam being caught in Gmail filters, and some months, there are 1-2 messages a day. Same for text/phone spam: periods of 1-2 per day and long periods of nothing.

My android phone is also pretty good at screening bs calls and messages.

Long story short: for me, I'm not seeing an increase on my end.

Reactions: purbeast0

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
My company gets spam faxes. Seriously.
Yes we used to get those all the time too when we had a fax machine. Nothing like using your own ink and paper to print off a full page advertisement.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Both of my kids phones are getting hammered with 10+ messages a day. Some of them actually use the primary account name in the text. Just started to ramp up in the last few weeks.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
We've been getting a ton of scam calls. Haven't noticed an uptick in my emails. But the phone calls just recently started getting worse in the last 2-3 weeks.

Nov 17, 2019
I can with reasonable honesty I haven't seen many. Biggest headache is some orange guy promotional list targeting a name that isn't mine in a state I've never lived in. I just keep reporting the numbers as Spam and they fall away for a while. I imagine I'll get a bunch more in October.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don’t get many lately…for several years, I was bombarded by crap claiming to be from Trump and his group…I still get the occasional email from someone claiming to be the GOP…hoo-boy, do they have the wrong person.

Reactions: Oyeve

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I get a lot, and lot of it is very targeted. I'm more concerned about the fact that they have enough info on me to target me, than what they're trying to pull off, since I won't fall for it. I feel like I do everything I can to protect my privacy such as use a custom phone rom, use extensions like ublock and privacy badger on my computer, use Linux, etc but it's clearly not enough.

Although I can totally see how some people would fall for these given how targeted they are. My favourite one was a text I got saying there was a problem with my delivery for my snow blower, but they were a little late because the truck was leaving the driveway after unloading it in my garage. But the fact that they knew I had a freight delivery coming and almost got the timing right is still pretty freaky. I can easily see someone click the link without thinking, then their phone/computer is compromized.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
yesterday I got 28 emails within a half-hour . . . all confirmation emails for signing up for some site/service. Asking me to click a link to confirm. Three came from Capital One saying my phone number changed, thanks for going paperless, you're qualified for a specific card. Another company said thanks for my payment.
ALL from sites I never use or even visit.
I'm a bit mystified. They contain legitimate-looking links. The one about my (supposed) order I think, attached a PDF.
Never had near that many make it through gmail spam filters in one day.

Nov 17, 2019
" Three came from Capital One saying my phone number changed, thanks for going paperless, you're qualified for a specific card. Another company said thanks for my payment. "

You might want to deep dive your credit reports from all three bureaus. Also Chex Systems and Early Warning Systems, both of which are reporting agencies run by big banks. Reports are free.

Reactions: Stiff Clamp
Dec 10, 2005
yesterday I got 28 emails within a half-hour . . . all confirmation emails for signing up for some site/service. Asking me to click a link to confirm. Three came from Capital One saying my phone number changed, thanks for going paperless, you're qualified for a specific card. Another company said thanks for my payment.
I'm a bit mystified. They contain legitimate-looking links. The one about my (supposed) order I think, attached a PDF.
Yeah, I'd check your credit reports and whatnot as stated above. And if you did have an account with any of those sites, don't click the emails and just go to their sites directly to check, or call their listed-on-their website number (not the one in Google that can be nefariously swapped out).

Reactions: Stiff Clamp

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

With that many... I suspect something is off. That's a lot. I would definitly try to see if those sites are legit, maybe someone is signing you up for junk.

Did you join any groups on Facebook or even posted on group posts? I noticed that they have ability to send you stuff too. I replied to a post that was on a group and next thing you know I started getting a bunch of email newsletters from stuff related to that group. Had to unsubscribe. It was legit subscriptions, but not me that subscribed.