Performed brain surgery today... PICS!!1!!1

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Shiet, my professor mentioned a few horrible stories too when I busted out my camera. He warned me not to post these on facebook, but I figured it's as good as anonymous on these forums. But on another note, maybe some crazy ass 4chan investigators would track down my lab partner. Anyways, I just removed his pic.

Your professor is smart. I am pretty open to things I do and posting crap, but dissection is not one of those things I'd want to post myself doing because of possible repercussions.

Also while many think it's just ATOT, many here cross post pics on other sites with alter-egos.

IMHO dissection and experimentation is a necessary evil. I never 'played' with my specimens and respected professors that banned students that did.

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
I'm not certain you can come to that conclusion.

Definately not..

The animal is sensetive to pain, is aware of its surrondings, can think (although you could say a very basic level).. Therefore it is surely concious and by definition sentient..

How did you come to the conclusion it's any different?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
So the only sentient being on this planet is humans?? Lol..

I don't think Nik has completed a college education yet. His schtick though is basically saying animals all deserve to die if a person deems that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lol @ animals not having any feelings, or conscious.

Whether these type of experiments are cruel or not is a whole other topic, but the fact remains animals can feel, think, etc like we do. They just have different bodies, and different levels of intelligence.

I used to tame squirrels, they are actually quite affectionate, and like to play.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I don't think Nik has completed a college education yet. His schtick though is basically saying animals all deserve to die if a person deems that.

You know what the worst part of posting on this forum is? Fuckheads like you saying shit like this, putting words in other people's mouths that they didn't say and didn't even imply and then insulting them and ripping them a new asshole for.

Get a grip. You're probably 2nd only to Dave McOwen on the Bat Shit Insane list.

I never said animals don't deserve respect, don't deserve to be left alone (I'm of the opinion that animals shouldn't be killed unless there's a direct threat to human life or to put food on the table), don't deserve to be treated properly.

I just said that they're simply mindless animals. Sure they have a nervous system that affords them the ability to react to pain and stuff like that, but that's simply survival instinct.

The rat in the pics is drugged. It has no idea what's going on and can't feel a thing.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
You know what the worst part of posting on this forum is? Fuckheads like you saying shit like this, putting words in other people's mouths that they didn't say and didn't even imply and then insulting them and ripping them a new asshole for.

Get a grip. You're probably 2nd only to Dave McOwen on the Bat Shit Insane list.

I never said animals don't deserve respect, don't deserve to be left alone (I'm of the opinion that animals shouldn't be killed unless there's a direct threat to human life or to put food on the table), don't deserve to be treated properly.

I just said that they're simply mindless animals. Sure they have a nervous system that affords them the ability to react to pain and stuff like that, but that's simply survival instinct.

The rat in the pics is drugged. It has no idea what's going on and can't feel a thing.

Remove mindless (because it's biased sounding) and add an emotional gamut very close to if not the equal of humans and I'll agree. They may not be self conscious but most of them (at least most mammals and probably even some others) are capable of the full range of "human" emotions I believe.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Remove mindless (because it's biased sounding) and add an emotional gamut very close to if not the equal of humans and I'll agree. They may not be self conscious but most of them (at least most mammals and probably even some others) are capable of the full range of "human" emotions I believe.

I've always been of the notion that they don't have feelings. Is there anything to read on the net to support that they do?

I was raised with cats and dogs. They're dumb. :p

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've always been of the notion that they don't have feelings. Is there anything to read on the net to support that they do?

My cats enjoy my company, and are happy to see me come home. My girl cat gets excited at bedtime, and rushes into the room ahead of me so she can sleep on top of me. Both cats have a few names each, and they know all their names. The girl likes being talked to. The tom doesn't like much of anything :^D

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999

The video posted a while ago with the dogs greeting veterns home and going bat-shit crazy to see them comes to mind....
How is that just basic survival instinct?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The video posted a while ago with the dogs greeting veterns home and going bat-shit crazy to see them comes to mind....
How is that just basic survival instinct?

That's evidence of emotions or evidence of some sort of self awareness? Some dog breeds go bat shit crazy seeing birds too but that's murderous-bastard-nomnom instincts. Dogs usually go nuts seeing cats too. What brings that about? A learned-hatred of them? I don't think so.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
That's evidence of emotions or evidence of some sort of self awareness? Some dog breeds go bat shit crazy seeing birds too but that's murderous-bastard-nomnom instincts. Dogs usually go nuts seeing cats too. What brings that about? A learned-hatred of them? I don't think so.

Except for the fact that anyone who owns a dog can tell you the difference between the two behaviours. One is clearly happy the other is clearly aggressive.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Except for the fact that anyone who owns a dog can tell you the difference between the two behaviours. One is clearly happy the other is clearly aggressive.

Yes, but they're not conscious actions. They're instinctual. I used to say to my puppy "awwww aren't you stupid? Yeah! You're stupid!" while smiling and petting her and she'd wag her tail and her tongue would hang out and she'd get all excited.

She had no idea what was going on. Being petted feels good. Learned behavior (like pavlov's experiments) are what bring on those reactions. You feed an animal, the animal learns that it gets food from you. It sees other human beings, it thinks it's going to get fed. Etc.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Face it, you aren't going to win this one.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Yes, but they're not conscious actions. They're instinctual. I used to say to my puppy "awwww aren't you stupid? Yeah! You're stupid!" while smiling and petting her and she'd wag her tail and her tongue would hang out and she'd get all excited.

She had no idea what was going on. Being petted feels good. Learned behavior (like pavlov's experiments) are what bring on those reactions. You feed an animal, the animal learns that it gets food from you. It sees other human beings, it thinks it's going to get fed. Etc.

So you just admited that dogs have feelings. I never said they could understand ENGLISH, that's not the argument. The point is that animals have a rich emotional life.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
They don't know what's happening to them, sure. They also aren't sentient beings. They're just... animals. Mindless rodents. The thing was drugged to hell, he had no idea that anything was happening to begin with.

If you don't like it, why are you still in here bitching about it?

I forgot about this thread. Were you talking to me? I don't recall bitching about anything, I merely felt sympathy for the sacrifice this rodentt made to allow humans to become better educated.

The rodent made a noble sacrifice, even more solemn a situation as it was not of his own free will.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
So you just admited that dogs have feelings. I never said they could understand ENGLISH, that's not the argument. The point is that animals have a rich emotional life.

learned behavior (I'm gonna get fed! I'm gonna get fed!)

not emotions