performance exhausts

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Considering this since my stock exhaust after 10 years has just rusted off (and I mean broken off).

What good are performance exhausts ? Are they ONLY noise makers or do they actually help performance in some way ? Would like to get more details instead of getting the marketing speech from them.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
On your Rodeo?

If you're going to do an exhaust, do the intake as well. Exhaust+intake will be pretty expensive and net you at MOST 10-20HP, but that really depends on the engine and how much it benefits.

Frankly I'd find a junkyard stock exhaust or something and move on. Performance exhausts can cost a lot depending on what parts you need for relatively little benefit.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Borla, Gibson, and Flowmaster all make good quality exhausts. But don't expect to make too many gains unless the top end's heavily modified.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Well a stock exhaust (new) would be $225 done... a performance exhaust for $350 (they have a special). If it gives any performance gain I suppose it's not a terrible deal.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
you won't notice anything substantial. Performance exhausts would be larger bore exhaust, smoother flow, freer mufflers. Most "performance" exhausts that are marketed are just going to be a louder and freer flowing muffler.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
On your Rodeo?

If you're going to do an exhaust, do the intake as well. Exhaust+intake will be pretty expensive and net you at MOST 10-20HP, but that really depends on the engine and how much it benefits.

Frankly I'd find a junkyard stock exhaust or something and move on. Performance exhausts can cost a lot depending on what parts you need for relatively little benefit.

intake + HEADERS + exhaust will be the best

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
bah, buy aftermarket headers and then make your custom exhaust around the frame. Use 3" tubes and find some after market CC and muffler, should save you atleast 1/2 the price. This applies if you know how to make the proper welds and know your metals.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDUALY
On your Rodeo?

intake + headers + heads + exhaust would be better...and on and on...

How far do you want to go OP? You will see no benefit from just get a "performance exhaust".

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Just save yourself some money and go to RockAuto and order another stock exhaust.

NaOH

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: DougK62
On your Rodeo?

intake + HEADER + exhaust will be the best

How far do you want to go OP? You will see no benefit from just get a "performance exhaust".

yeah, you will feel the most gain with all of the boltons. But if you just want the exhaust. You will just get aesthetics and noise. A header for me netted the most performance.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Soccerman06
bah, buy aftermarket headers and then make your custom exhaust around the frame. Use 3" tubes and find some after market CC and muffler, should save you atleast 1/2 the price. This applies if you know how to make the proper welds and know your metals.
Headers generally add a lot to the cost of an aftermarket exhaust system, sometimes double.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
looks like I got my answer then - stock it is.

Baked, would you come see me if I got a fart can ? That would be worth it. :heart:

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
For my car, an aftermarket exhaust would net almost no gains so I'll never get one.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Soccerman06
Headers generally add a lot to the cost of an aftermarket exhaust system, sometimes double.

Ment 1/2 price for the muffler/CC and tubing

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
On your Rodeo?

on a feckin' rodeo?!:confused:

Are you people out of your minds?!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
On your Rodeo?

Don't be hatin' on my Rodeo. It's still solid after 11 years and after that long I just wanted a change of some sort.

canadageek

Dec 28, 2004
a turbo will see gains from a free-flowing exhaust, because more exhaust flowing through turbo=less lag, more power. an NA car won't because it needs some back pressure in the pipes to keep the engine running efficiently.
just go buy something quiet, for the love of god....

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71
Don't be hatin' on my Rodeo. It's still solid after 11 years and after that long I just wanted a change of some sort.
Just change the oil, she'll still be goin' good ;)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
On your Rodeo?

<---looks outside window and sees '95 rodeo.

Dude, I drive one all the time......I would NEVER DREAM of putting perforamce parts in it....

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
On your Rodeo?

Dude, I drive one all the time......I would NEVER DREAM of putting perforamce parts in it....
<-- looks in mirror and sees he's not a goosemaster. I thought doing things to your car were personal preference. I started this thread to see if it was worth it - that's all. If I shared your brain then none of these fine folks would've been entertained for the last 15 mins.

BTW, mine still drives like new (even with a fuct up exhaust pipe right now - no extra noise)... I love the thing. It's not my fault you couldn't give @ ****** about your car. Did you opt for the 15" wheels like many others who don't care ?

No need for the attitude in a thread like this.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
On your Rodeo?

now what fun would the world be if everyone lived like anandtechers?