Per-Capita, Blacks commit 800% more murders in the USA

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

Based on available data from 1980 to 2008—
 Blacks were disproportionately represented as both homicide victims and offenders. The victimization rate for blacks (27.8
per 100,000) was 6 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000). The offending rate for blacks (34.4 per 100,000) was almost 8 times higher than the rate for whites (4.5 per 100,000) (table 1).

So, the question is 2-fold: why, and what to do about it?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'd have to believe a lot of this is black on black crime. And most likely related to gang activity. Repealling the drug war is a start.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I'd have to believe a lot of this is black on black crime. And most likely related to gang activity. Repealling the drug war is a start.

notice the disparity between offending and victimization rate.

it means that per-capita, blacks are more likely to kill whites than the other way around.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

So, the question is 2-fold: why, and what to do about it?

Idk the exact reasons but im sure much of the blame has to do with the moral shutdown in the black community, 80% of black kids born today are to a single mother [and its not a live-in relationship with the father present either - he skipped town entirely]. When the majority of your young people dont even know who their daddy is its a sign of huge issues in that community itself, and sure enough there are huge issues. Im sure there are other reasons but a weak family unit is not a good thing for any community, especially when its close to 100% of them being weak...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

it means that per-capita, blacks are more likely to kill whites than the other way around.

It could very well be multiple convictions for a single murder. Which I imagine is the norm for gang style murders.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Idk the exact reasons but im sure much of the blame has to do with the moral shutdown in the black community, 80% of black kids born today are to a single mother [and its not a live-in relationship with the father present either - he skipped town entirely]. When the majority of your young people dont even know who their daddy is its a sign of huge issues in that community itself, and sure enough there are huge issues. Im sure there are other reasons but a weak family unit is not a good thing for any community, especially when its close to 100% of them being weak...

I think there is absolutely this problem as well. But gov cant fix that, only the black community can.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
It could very well be multiple convictions for a single murder. Which I imagine is the norm for gang style murders.

dude, that would point it in the opposite direction towards more deaths and fewer offenders.

The only way your explanation works is if multiple people kill one person. Not likely.

Feb 6, 2007

No it doesn't, you're misrepresenting the data. You have stats for the victims and stats for the offenders, but there's no link offered between those. You're falsely conflating "black people are more likely to be convicted of murder" into "black people kill more white people than whites do blacks." There's nothing in the data to suggest that; it's just speculation on your part.

dude, that would point it in the opposite direction towards more deaths and fewer offenders.

The only way your explanation works is if multiple people kill one person. Not likely.
Multiple people get tried for single murders. If a death happens in the act of committing a felony, everyone who could be convicted of the felony can also be tried for murder (ie, a lookout, a getaway driver, whatever, are all as culpable as the person who pulled the trigger). This is what genx is saying in relation to gang violence; it typically happens as part of a group, which makes everyone in that group culpable for a death.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That's a fair point, but it might be overstated. I know a fair number of blacks and some whites who aren't married simply because the single mother and child qualify for government bennies. The family unit is definitely weaker without legal bonds, but the kids certainly know their fathers, they live with them. And in fairness we do this to gay couples on purpose, so it's hard to complain when blacks (along with whites, browns, even some yellows) do the same for financial benefit.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
No it doesn't, you're misrepresenting the data. You have stats for the victims and stats for the offenders, but there's no link offered between those. You're falsely conflating "black people are more likely to be convicted of murder" into "black people kill more white people than whites do blacks." There's nothing in the data to suggest that; it's just speculation on your part.

Multiple people get tried for single murders. If a death happens in the act of committing a felony, everyone who could be convicted of the felony can also be tried for murder (ie, a lookout, a getaway driver, whatever, are all as culpable as the person who pulled the trigger). This is what genx is saying in relation to gang violence; it typically happens as part of a group, which makes everyone in that group culpable for a death.

Unless there is a huge epidemic of gang killings and multiple convictions, that is what the data would suggest. It is true that I had not thought of the multiple convictions for a single death angle.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
This is due to a culture of poverty rather than anything else. Poor people commit more crimes on average.

As for how to fix things, well that's a different thread.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
The why is simple. Ghetto culture sucks. It glorifies crime, violence and ignorance and places no stigma on out of wedlock pregnancy while sneering at work, education & obeying the law.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is a problem that cannot be effectively addressed. Poverty breeds poverty and crime. NY has pointedly made it clear that reform isn't happening. Too racially charged.

Last edited:

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
What would be the result of inputting 'eliminate the poor' if there's a computer program that generates socio economic statistics? This is all hypothetical speak of course

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's amazing how oblivious a lot of non-blacks are about issues.

Let's take just one major factor - policing is slashed in black communities. As a result, the communities become closer to 'lawless zones'.

Any community that happens in sees a rise in crime.

But there's zero awareness of that as a factor, of 'conservative policies'. Just finger wagging blame the victim crap.

It's a complicated issue with things needed by all parties - but the very last in line to do theit part of what's needed are the 'white conservatives'. They're ignorant of the issues.

Ignorant of what their party's policies have done to contribute and other things.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
It's amazing how oblivious a lot of non-blacks are about issues.

Let's take just one major factor - policing is slashed in black communities. As a result, the communities become closer to 'lawless zones'.

Any community that happens in sees a rise in crime.

But there's zero awareness of that as a factor, of 'conservative policies'. Just finger wagging blame the victim crap.

It's a complicated issue with things needed by all parties - but the very last in line to do theit part of what's needed are the 'white conservatives'. They're ignorant of the issues.

Ignorant of what their party's policies have done to contribute and other things.

It's been my experience that policing is much heavier in black communities because neighborhoods which are majority black tend to be poorer, high crime neighborhoods. In my own neighborhood (which is probably 1/3 black) we almost never see a police car (except for a few who live there) unless there's a crime reported. Conversely, I seldom spend fifteen minutes in a "black neighborhood" without seeing at least one police car cruise by.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I guess you've never heard of police brutality.

I personally think that adding more cops to an already violent community would exacerbate the problem.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Ideally, the inner-city black community would take some responsibility for the patterns and push for cultural changes internally. Historically, whites have been accused of being racist. So white culture responded by bending over backwards to be politically correct, etc. Whites often seem to want to prove that they're not racist. I haven't really seen anything in the black community to try to actively combat the negative stereotypes that apply to them. At some point you have to stop blaming other people for stereotypes, and try to change the underlying facts.

Realistically, the black community needs a new leader that is not stuck in the outdated 1960s race paradigm.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Poverty, and the resultant culture it creates, is the primary issue. You see greatly increased crime and violence in every nation's impoverished people (when that same nation has enough non-impoverished people to contrast them against).

Color is not the issue, being very poor while seeing others relatively close by who are not poor.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
It's been my experience that policing is much heavier in black communities because neighborhoods which are majority black tend to be poorer, high crime neighborhoods. In my own neighborhood (which is probably 1/3 black) we almost never see a police car (except for a few who live there) unless there's a crime reported. Conversely, I seldom spend fifteen minutes in a "black neighborhood" without seeing at least one police car cruise by.

From my own experience I have to agree. There is a "rougher" part to the town that I live in, a cop car is parked at a busy corner in that section almost 24/7, any cop they send usually is outside his car and just chilling and talking to people. It's where the government housing is and the predominant ethnicity housed there are African-Americans. They implemented some rule a while ago that if anyone in a family got a violent felony (or something like that) their entire family got removed from the government housing. That rule combined with the cop on call 24/7 pretty much plummeted crime rates in that area.