People with a memory foam mattress: what do you use under it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I heard that you aren't supposed to use a box spring. Do you just put a piece of plywood over your bed slats for a flat surface?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Regular box spring for old style mattresses. I didnt have the heart to throw it out and it gives a height boost. I hate falling down into bed.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Daughter had a platform bed fame. She order a memory foam and found out that the 1" did not protect her. I got a queen size 4" furniture foam for $80 and put it under the pad. Works great

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have two box springs (King size memory foam mattress). Came with the mattress. Works fine.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
I have two box springs (King size memory foam mattress). Came with the mattress. Works fine.

This.
Though they are not technically "Box Springs" (They have no springs), They are a simple "box" with a hard surface, & they are not soft.

You could put plywood on a regular set of "box springs" if need be, but you just do not want your memory foam to sag as it would do on a bad set of box springs.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This.
Though they are not technically "Box Springs" (They have no springs), They are a simple "box" with a hard surface, & they are not soft.

You could put plywood on a regular set of "box springs" if need be, but you just do not want your memory foam to sag as it would do on a bad set of box springs.

True, they don't have springs.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
This.

I was thinking I could just put plywood over the wooden slats of the bed. I think all a memory foam foundation does is provide a flat hard surface?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I was thinking I could just put plywood over the wooden slats of the bed. I think all a memory foam foundation does is provide a flat hard surface?

It would have to be thick plywood. That, or if you already have box springs, cover one side with plywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.