People with a memory foam mattress: what do you use under it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I heard that you aren't supposed to use a box spring. Do you just put a piece of plywood over your bed slats for a flat surface?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Regular box spring for old style mattresses. I didnt have the heart to throw it out and it gives a height boost. I hate falling down into bed.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Daughter had a platform bed fame. She order a memory foam and found out that the 1" did not protect her. I got a queen size 4" furniture foam for $80 and put it under the pad. Works great

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have two box springs (King size memory foam mattress). Came with the mattress. Works fine.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
I have two box springs (King size memory foam mattress). Came with the mattress. Works fine.
This.
Though they are not technically "Box Springs" (They have no springs), They are a simple "box" with a hard surface, & they are not soft.

You could put plywood on a regular set of "box springs" if need be, but you just do not want your memory foam to sag as it would do on a bad set of box springs.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This.
Though they are not technically "Box Springs" (They have no springs), They are a simple "box" with a hard surface, & they are not soft.

You could put plywood on a regular set of "box springs" if need be, but you just do not want your memory foam to sag as it would do on a bad set of box springs.
True, they don't have springs.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
This.

I was thinking I could just put plywood over the wooden slats of the bed. I think all a memory foam foundation does is provide a flat hard surface?

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I was thinking I could just put plywood over the wooden slats of the bed. I think all a memory foam foundation does is provide a flat hard surface?
It would have to be thick plywood. That, or if you already have box springs, cover one side with plywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY