People who use bad grammar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: DeafeningSilence
Bah... I could care less.

;)

edit: Doh! I missed the fact that ObiDon already mentioned this one.

They way I see it is that if I notice a little imperfection, I don't think a little less of them.... they could be young pimple farmers who have yet discovered the joy of proper English, or someone who's second or third language is English.

I do get irritated at grammar police.... how ironic. Stuck up Victorian English pig type....

I make grammar mistakes all the time just to piss them off.....

(point out all my mistakes in this post for bonus point) :)

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BooneRebel
Originally posted by: prodigy69
I don't understand why people cannot construct complete sentences when they post messages or send email. Do you realize that the manner in which you communicate is a reflection on you and your intelligence? I've seen people here write that say they don't bother because they don't have time. Generally these are the same people that have thousands of posts at AT.
rolleye.gif
It really does not take that long to check spelling, punctuate sentences, etc. I realize everyone is capable of typos, but to see an entire paragraph filled with mispelled words makes me cringe. You don't walk around with your fly open, hair uncombed, and shoes untied (okay, some of you do). Why type that way? Especially if you are in the business world or have aspirations to get there, it really makes a poor impression.

Just an observation. In the past couple of days I've read some really thoughtful messages regarding the 9/11 events, including the threads from last year. But it's striking how many of the members here do not seem to pay any attention to what it is they are typing. :(

misspelled? ;)
Maybe I should have added "everyone is capable of typos". Oh, wait a minute, there it is. Nevermind.

rolleye.gif
I think there's a difference between an inadvertent mistake (read carefully, there is another one up there) and an entire brain dump of "yeah.. but up until the gamecube-- werent they always on top-- or did Ps1 do better than N64?

anyways. lets hope this is nintendos last console. "

Ever hear of joking around? That's why the "winking smile" is there. If you're running standard graphics mode on the forums and you couldn't see it then I apologize and should've made it more obvious I was just having some fun.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: ObiDon
My personal favorites:

definately/definitely
should of/could of/would of
I could care less

I'm sure there's several more that I will be reminded of shortly. :)

Edit -- See, I've seen definately so much that I accidentally put the proper one up there in my list with it!!! :Q

Are you talking about posts where people use 'of' instead of 'have'? The two words don't even sound the same :disgust: That's the single most annoying thing that I've seen when it comes to mauling the English language on these forums. People often say, "I should of done that..." instead of "I should have...". English is not my native language, but all my education was in English.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
In the department I work for, we hire quite a few people who are just out of technical school (associate's degree). Most of them do not use complete sentences nor spell correctly in their emails.

Every once in a while, for work-related reasons, one of "those" emails could end up being forwarded to someone higher up because they need to be aware of something or take some action. And whenever that happens, the "higher-up" will let me know eventually that he was appalled and wonders how they managed to complete any degree program.

Actual sample:

Bob I finished that work for the WPSA u sent me. do u know why the want the insert put on the back. it is differenrt then before? i will fix this if they want the insert on the front they usulaly do.

Email like that to your friends? Fine.
Type like that via IM? Sure, why not.
Did the guy ever think Bob might forward his message to someone else? Probably not.
Does the "higher-up" think this guy is an idiot? Yep.
Will anyone ever tell the guy his emails are hurting his chance for advancement? Nope.
Exactly! Since all electronic communication is recorded and you never know who is going to be reading it, why not make the effort to make everything presentable? I'm amazed at the number of white-collar middle management types I come across that look like perfect professionals in their three-piece suits but can't write a complete sentence to save their lives. It's not that everyone needs a technical writing class, for Pete's sake. These are basic skills taught in elementary school.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
People who use bad grammar in speech are worse than those on the internet who make mistakes. I mean, when you're saying something, it can't be that hard to make sure you have good grammar can it?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: athithi

Are you talking about posts where people use 'of' instead of 'have'? The two words don't even sound the same :disgust: That's the single most annoying thing that I've seen when it comes to mauling the English language on these forums. People often say, "I should of done that..." instead of "I should have...". English is not my native language, but all my education was in English.

It's a misspelling based on the pronunciation of the contractions of those words (could've, should've, would've).

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Ever hear of joking around? That's why the "winking smile" is there. If you're running standard graphics mode on the forums and you couldn't see it then I apologize and should've made it more obvious I was just having some fun.
Yes, but as soon as I hit submit on the first post I realized someone was going to let me have it. But I didn't bother to edit it because I figured it would enforce the 'anyone can make mistakes' idea. I just think it's silly to decide to give up capitalization, punctuation, and grammar when writing only to say that you'll worry about it when it's important. That's like saying that you prefer to speak in Ebonics unless you're talking to the president of the company, at which time you'll revert to proper English. I think if you know enough to know the difference then it shouldn't be too much effort. It seems as though every generation has to push the envelope of acceptable behavior in order to prove that they can think for themselves. Four or five more generations and they'll be swinging clubs and throwing rocks to prove independent thought.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
theirs some people here that couldn't use proper english, irregardless of the fact that they've used this language all there lives.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: athithi

It's a misspelling based on the pronunciation of the contractions of those words (could've, should've, would've).

:) That explains it! They are too dumb to learn even when they see someone using it the right way
rolleye.gif

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Shelly21
Originally posted by: DeafeningSilence
Bah... I could care less.

;)

edit: Doh! I missed the fact that ObiDon already mentioned this one.

They way I see it is that if I notice a little imperfection, I don't think a little less of them.... they could be young pimple farmers who have yet discovered the joy of proper English, or someone who's second or third language is English.

I do get irritated at grammar police.... how ironic. Stuck up Victorian English pig type....

I make grammar mistakes all the time just to piss them off.....

(point out all my mistakes in this post for bonus point) :)
I don't think less of anyone for making errors in message posts. It's not like I'm taking names...but if I was, you'd be up there somewhere! ;)

Even though it irks me to see the most common mistakes appear in every third post, it's not that big of a deal. What bugs me more than that is the people who immediately have to point it out in the following post. It especially annoys me if it's in the middle of a "debate" which is then reduced to a grammar contest. :|

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Even though it irks me to see the most common mistakes appear in every third post, it's not that big of a deal. What bugs me more than that is the people who immediately have to point it out in the following post. It especially annoys me if it's in the middle of a "debate" which is then reduced to a grammar contest. :|

Yes! that's it....

If I want to read posts with perfect English, I'd join a English Language Forum....

here, I expect to see "some" mistakes... no big deal.... If seeing someone posting with bad grammar cost me to blow a gasket, I should seek professional help immediately.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I don't understand why people cannot construct complete sentences when they post messages or send email. Do you realize that the manner in which you communicate is a reflection on you and your intelligence?

Maybe that's b/c some of them, like me, for example, can't speak/write English well b/c it's a foreign language for them

rolleye.gif

roncarter

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand why people cannot construct complete sentences when they post messages or send email. Do you realize that the manner in which you communicate is a reflection on you and your intelligence? I've seen people here write that say they don't bother because they don't have time. Generally these are the same people that have thousands of posts at AT.
rolleye.gif
It really does not take that long to check spelling, punctuate sentences, etc. I realize everyone is capable of typos, but to see an entire paragraph filled with mispelled words makes me cringe. You don't walk around with your fly open, hair uncombed, and shoes untied (okay, some of you do). Why type that way? Especially if you are in the business world or have aspirations to get there, it really makes a poor impression.

Just an observation. In the past couple of days I've read some really thoughtful messages regarding the 9/11 events, including the threads from last year. But it's striking how many of the members here do not seem to pay any attention to what it is they are typing. :(

SHUDUP!!!! can you understand that?

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: roncarter
rolleye.gif

SHUDUP!!!! can you understand that?
Exactly the sort of informed, intelligent response I was hoping to receive. Thank you very much, you've restored my faith in humanity. :disgust:

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
all i have to say in self defense is ADD. i'm sure more people on this forum than just me have it. and due to it i have a hard time with grammer (sp?) and puncuation.

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
who cares? its the damn internet...when I was at work everything I did was punctuated and had proper grammar...but when I'm on the internet and when I'm typing to friends on aim no one really gives a crap...blah blah it makes you seem less intelligent...why the hell do I care? I have no one to impress on the internet...
why the hell do I wanna sit here wasting time spellchecking something I'm sending to a friend when they're not gonna care iether way...

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: CrazyDe1
who cares? its the damn internet...when I was at work everything I did was punctuated and had proper grammar...but when I'm on the internet and when I'm typing to friends on aim no one really gives a crap...blah blah it makes you seem less intelligent...why the hell do I care? I have no one to impress on the internet...
why the hell do I wanna sit here wasting time spellchecking something I'm sending to a friend when they're not gonna care iether way...

Yeah, Sometimes, I get extremely turned on from very intelligent post where I just want to strip myself naked and call up that person on ISPQ because they impressed me so much.....

You're right on that.... most people don't care because there's no one out there to impress.... speaking of which, I don't judge a guy by how well he writes, it's usually the way he presents himself visually (the way he looks and the way he dress), and then how funny he is.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

I agree with BooneRebel's original post. Writing is a method of communication. Here on AT Forums, it's the only method of communication. If you intentionally communicate poorly, why even bother the rest of us with your tripe?

For those of you who use English as a native language, you have no excuse for poor grammar and spelling (with the exception of those with ADD or dyslexia or whatever). For those of you who know English as a second (or third or fourth or fifth) language, please continue contributing to these forums as best you can.

I'm not saying that everything you write here should be completely formal and correct. However, it should be mostly free from glaring grammar and spelling errors. If you don't bother giving your readers the courtesy of a decent post, then you shouldn't expect anyone to bother reading your post. You also shouldn't blame some of us for deciding that you are a careless idiot.

Also, please try to learn the proper use of capital letters. I'd settle for people learning that the FIRST letter of a sentence and the pronoun "I" are capitalized. Really, it's not that hard to learn. There are even TWO <SHIFT> keys on every keyboard, just to make it easy for you to capitalize letters.

If you claim that writing crap on the internet is fine because you can always just use proper grammar and spelling in more formal situations, then I think that you're wrong. EVERY SINGLE TIME you use a word incorrectly or spell it incorrectly, you reinforce that concept in your own brain. If you see a word used (or spelled) improperly often enough, your brain begins to accept that as the correct way to use (or spell) that word.

Sooner or later, you will get mixed up on what is proper and what is not. This unfortunate event will most likely occur during your next presentation to the Board of Directors, and you can kiss your career goodbye. You can argue against this point all you want, but this is how your brain works. Repetition leads to learning.

In conclusion, aLL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG T0 US.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: tk149
"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

I agree with BooneRebel's original post. Writing is a method of communication. Here on AT Forums, it's the only method of communication. If you intentionally communicate poorly, why even bother the rest of us with your tripe?

For those of you who use English as a native language, you have no excuse for poor grammar and spelling (with the exception of those with ADD or dyslexia or whatever). For those of you who know English as a second (or third or fourth or fifth) language, please continue contributing to these forums as best you can.

I'm not saying that everything you write here should be completely formal and correct. However, it should be mostly free from glaring grammar and spelling errors. If you don't bother giving your readers the courtesy of a decent post, then you shouldn't expect anyone to bother reading your post. You also shouldn't blame some of us for deciding that you are a careless idiot.

Also, please try to learn the proper use of capital letters. I'd settle for people learning that the FIRST letter of a sentence and the pronoun "I" are capitalized. Really, it's not that hard to learn. There are even TWO <SHIFT> keys on every keyboard, just to make it easy for you to capitalize letters.

If you claim that writing crap on the internet is fine because you can always just use proper grammar and spelling in more formal situations, then I think that you're wrong. EVERY SINGLE TIME you use a word incorrectly or spell it incorrectly, you reinforce that concept in your own brain. If you see a word used (or spelled) improperly often enough, your brain begins to accept that as the correct way to use (or spell) that word.

Sooner or later, you will get mixed up on what is proper and what is not. This unfortunate event will most likely occur during your next presentation to the Board of Directors, and you can kiss your career goodbye. You can argue against this point all you want, but this is how your brain works. Repetition leads to learning.

In conclusion, aLL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG T0 US.
Guess I'll be the one to say: WHAT YOU SAY?!