People who use bad grammar

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I don't understand why people cannot construct complete sentences when they post messages or send email. Do you realize that the manner in which you communicate is a reflection on you and your intelligence? I've seen people here write that say they don't bother because they don't have time. Generally these are the same people that have thousands of posts at AT.
It really does not take that long to check spelling, punctuate sentences, etc. I realize everyone is capable of typos, but to see an entire paragraph filled with mispelled words makes me cringe. You don't walk around with your fly open, hair uncombed, and shoes untied (okay, some of you do). Why type that way? Especially if you are in the business world or have aspirations to get there, it really makes a poor impression.

Just an observation. In the past couple of days I've read some really thoughtful messages regarding the 9/11 events, including the threads from last year. But it's striking how many of the members here do not seem to pay any attention to what it is they are typing. :(

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I wish most ATOTers would learn the difference between "lose" and "loose". They're not interchangeable, damnit.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
i'd rather read mispelled words than crap like "ne1" (anyone) or "U R" (you are)
that is the absolute worst. when a person is like "Sup, wan2 go ... blah blah blah" you get the idea.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
i'd rather read mispelled words than crap like "ne1" (anyone) or "U R" (you are)
or Ieet or any of those other silly new age pig latin words.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
l337... and dont j00 for get it ;)

Feb 10, 2000
I, too, am annoyed by the fact that we as a culture appear to have abandoned all concern for proper grammar and spelling. Both of my parents were English teachers when I was a boy, so I am admittedly finicky in this arena, but I am constantly amazed by otherwise-intelligent people who seem unable to grasp the difference between "your" and "you're," or "its" and "it's". Anything that deserves to be written down in the first place also warrants a bit of care and editing, in my humble opinion.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
My personal favorites:

definately/definitely
should of/could of/would of
I could care less

I'm sure there's several more that I will be reminded of shortly. :)

Edit -- See, I've seen definately so much that I accidentally put the proper one up there in my list with it!!! :Q

prodigy

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BooneRebel
I don't understand why people cannot construct complete sentences when they post messages or send email. Do you realize that the manner in which you communicate is a reflection on you and your intelligence? I've seen people here write that say they don't bother because they don't have time. Generally these are the same people that have thousands of posts at AT.
It really does not take that long to check spelling, punctuate sentences, etc. I realize everyone is capable of typos, but to see an entire paragraph filled with mispelled words makes me cringe. You don't walk around with your fly open, hair uncombed, and shoes untied (okay, some of you do). Why type that way? Especially if you are in the business world or have aspirations to get there, it really makes a poor impression.

Just an observation. In the past couple of days I've read some really thoughtful messages regarding the 9/11 events, including the threads from last year. But it's striking how many of the members here do not seem to pay any attention to what it is they are typing. :(
misspelled? ;)

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: stev0
Originally posted by: CPA
l337... and dont j00 for get it ;)
You should have put 4 in place of "for". :p

: ) Amanda

I wholeheartedly agree with the original poster. Neither of my parents were English teachers, nor did they major in English in college, but I personally have taken it upon myself to use proper grammar in everything I do. I feel that it will reflect well on myself and my attention to detail if my sentences are nearly perfect (structurally, at least).

If people at ATOT could spend the time to just skim through their posts before hitting the "Submit" button, it would really help out the attitude of these forums. I'm not saying that there's no room for jokes (like j00, 0wn3d and, of course 3L337 and all that stuff), but if you're making a serious post, at least let people take you seriously.

</rant>

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
well some are not native-english-speakers, like me, so be patient with those.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
It's really an analogue to laziness in conversational communication. People tend not to be strictly correct in their verbal communication either, since the listener (or in this case, reader) can intuit enough of the intended meaning through context that precision isn't necessary.

I'm also guessing that l33t-ness is the written equivalent of something like Ebonics, which is almost a willful flaunting of strict grammar and pronunciation as a form of rebellion. There's a class of people (or perhaps ppl) on the Internet who actually want to obfuscate their speech as much as possible in order to promote a form of cliquishness.

DDCSpeed

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
when writing in an informal off-topic subject ....I dont care to check my grammar. I dont really care what other people think about me because your point of view about me does not matter. When I write work-related email, I correct my grammar.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In the department I work for, we hire quite a few people who are just out of technical school (associate's degree). Most of them do not use complete sentences nor spell correctly in their emails.

Every once in a while, for work-related reasons, one of "those" emails could end up being forwarded to someone higher up because they need to be aware of something or take some action. And whenever that happens, the "higher-up" will let me know eventually that he was appalled and wonders how they managed to complete any degree program.

Actual sample:

Bob I finished that work for the WPSA u sent me. do u know why the want the insert put on the back. it is differenrt then before? i will fix this if they want the insert on the front they usulaly do.

Email like that to your friends? Fine.
Type like that via IM? Sure, why not.
Did the guy ever think Bob might forward his message to someone else? Probably not.
Does the "higher-up" think this guy is an idiot? Yep.
Will anyone ever tell the guy his emails are hurting his chance for advancement? Nope.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: prodigy69

misspelled? ;)
Maybe I should have added "everyone is capable of typos". Oh, wait a minute, there it is. Nevermind.

I think there's a difference between an inadvertent mistake (read carefully, there is another one up there) and an entire brain dump of "yeah.. but up until the gamecube-- werent they always on top-- or did Ps1 do better than N64?

anyways. lets hope this is nintendos last console. "

ASK THE COMMUNITY