People on craigslist can suck.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
Long story short:

1. Offered to buy item listed for sale for $X.
2. Made arrangements to pick-up item.
3. Seller cancelled at last minute.
4. Seller sends e-mail stating they instead received offer for $X + handful of dollars more.

This all took place within a 24-hour time period.

Does it really put me out that much? No. It is just the principle of the matter. If you give someone your word, you should honor it.

I'm annoyed and needed to vent. :/

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
What pisses me off more is when you're selling something and get a buyer that vanishes. If you don't want it anymore, at least frigging say so. With that said, I did get a Thinkpad T23 for $75 from craigslist so it's not all bad.

pravi333

May 25, 2005
It happened to me once for a car i was buying. I checked the car once & i told him i'll buy it for cash $9000 which is less than his asking price ($9500), he agreed, we decided to meet on a saturday, i withdrew cash & driving to meet him with $9000 cash sitting next to me, he sends me a text message saying he couldnt make up the deal for various reasons blah blah..... never called me once after that!!!!

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I try to be a good craigslister, but there's no accountabillity, not even the flimsy feedback system on ebay. So, there will always be a few bad apples.

All in all, though, my experience with it has been pretty positive. I've sold three vehicles on there, and bought a laptop just last week.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaervak
What pisses me off more is when you're selling something and get a buyer that vanishes. If you don't want it anymore, at least frigging say so.

Been there as well.

I understand that it is a free service, but people really should be more responsible.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Meh, it's just capitalism at its finest. Why would I deal with you when I can with another for a better price......word schmurd. money talks.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
i agree, i love all the suckers who buy my crap that I was going to throw away otherwise!!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
It's a mixed bag. Recently, I sold my old 32" TV for full asking price ($200). The guy came by the same day and paid cash, and said he'll pick it up later that week! Luckily for him, I'm fully trustworthy.

And I've also had the last minute cancellations.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
That happened to me last week for YANKEE playoff tickets. We agreed the sale price and meeting place, i was already ON MY WAY to the stadium and my sister was at the meeting place we had agreed on. The guy all of a sudden stopped answering phone. I knew something was wrong becuase she called him 5 minutes prior to arriving at the meeting point and all was good to go.

Find out later he sold them to someone else for $20 more. JERK

Luckily i was able to get tickets from a scalper at the stadium, but that is wrong!

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: chambersc
Meh, it's just capitalism at its finest. Why would I deal with you when I can with another for a better price......word schmurd. money talks.

Well, it makes a lot more people unhappy.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
sold all stereo stuff within a week...high end stuff and I never budged on the price...take it or leave it as I told the buyers dont bother coming by if you are offering a lower price...

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: chuckywang

Boo hoo?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

Boo hoo?

Yeah, if you don't care about the feelings of others.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001

The act of being a dick and capitalism are not the same.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Boo hoo?

Heartless and soulless, niice...

This is the future?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I had this dilema when I was selling my tires/wheels on a saab board. I listed them for $950. A guy emailed me with an offer of $600. I'd not had any other offer so I said I'd sell them to him and would send him a shipping quote within 24 hours. The next morning I had an offer of $800 so I emailed this first fella and told him that I had a buyer that was willing to pay an amount that was closer to my asking price. This fella sent me a nasty email outlining the moral standard that I had somehow abandoned. I didn't respond. The second buyer flaked out when I asked him to paypal the offer into my account. I then sent the original fella an email stating that I would accept his original offer and at this point I told him what his shipping costs would be. The cost was $32 per wheel/tire (packing included) fedex ground. 215/45/17s-new tires-moda wheels.

I then receive an email that accuses me of shafting him for shipping (which I did not) and I can go fvck myself. The next day I receive a email that says "I will purchase your tires/wheels for your asking price, please send me your paypal address."

What is my conclusion? The electronic word is moot ;)

Rogo

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
i just keep getting losers that lowball me. Some jackass asked me if I'd sell my 32in hdtv for $25 (listed for $350) because he's a poor college student

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I was moving and had to sell some assorted crap, microwave, TV, etc. For literally every three people who contacted me and setup a meeting, I'd never hear from two of them again. If you're not going to be able to meet someone at the time you scheduled, have the decency to let them know.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: halik
i just keep getting losers that lowball me. Some jackass asked me if I'd sell my 32in hdtv for $25 (listed for $350) because he's a poor college student

I had a guy lowball me AFTER I updated my ad to say "Sold". I had the pleasure of laughing at his rude offer.

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
I don't know who's worse, low-ballers, flakes that promises to show up but never contact to cancel the meeting, people who believes the value of their items to be at retail value, or people knowningly selling an bad item. Sure, you want to get the most money for your item yet at the same time when one trying to sell overprice item in hope someone who don't research current market price will bite seems greedy to people who know the fair price.
One time I purchase a NV 6600GT from Craig's List for $80 (BFG). Knowning that the person probably got it from New Egg's special promotion for $100 new after rebate I thought it's a fair price after about 6 months later. After installing the card in my system, I see lots of debris even when just booting into Windows desktop. When playing any sort of the games, the screen would fill with snows of colors. I tested on several systems and try various drivers and remove any doubt that this card was indeed bad. So I contacted him and fortunately he answered and we set up a meeting. He told me he didn't know about it and that it was working prior to selling it to me. I remember during the transaction, he said he decided not to play anymore PC games and wanted to go with Xbox instead and is why the reason he wants to sell the card. But after confronting him about it, he had a new 7800GS in his system. He offer me partial money back because prior to selling it to me it was working but I persisted in full refund and also the fact I was the one driving to his place both of the times. Luckily I got the full money back.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: rmrfhomeoops
I don't know who's worse, low-ballers, flakes that promises to show up but never contact to cancel the meeting, people who believes the value of their items to be at retail value, or people knowningly selling an bad item. Sure, you want to get the most money for your item yet at the same time when one trying to sell overprice item in hope someone who don't research current market price will bite seems greedy to people who know the fair price.
One time I purchase a NV 6600GT from Craig's List for $80 (BFG). Knowning that the person probably got it from New Egg's special promotion for $100 new after rebate I thought it's a fair price after about 6 months later. After installing the card in my system, I see lots of debris even when just booting into Windows desktop. When playing any sort of the games, the screen would fill with snows of colors. I tested on several systems and try various drivers and remove any doubt that this card was indeed bad. So I contacted him and fortunately he answered and we set up a meeting. He told me he didn't know about it and that it was working prior to selling it to me. I remember during the transaction, he said he decided not to play anymore PC games and wanted to go with Xbox instead and is why the reason he wants to sell the card. But after confronting him about it, he had a new 7800GS in his system. He offer me partial money back because prior to selling it to me it was working but I persisted in full refund and also the fact I was the one driving to his place both of the times. Luckily I got the full money back.

you bought the card without testing it first? wow.

rmrfhomeoops

Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: rmrfhomeoops

you bought the card without testing it first? wow.

Yeah, I was in a hurry. His parents were over-friendly at the door and they were starts to ask questions do you like HL2, isn't it great, where you from, blah blah etc... I was there to purchase a card and not making friends so when he came outside I just gave him the cash and and take the card. Trying to save $30-40 was definitely not worth it consider the time and the gas spent. His parents left me an impression that they seems honest (never judge a book by its cover especially consider these days many people are rather shady).

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: halik

I had a guy lowball me AFTER I updated my ad to say "Sold". I had the pleasure of laughing at his rude offer.

Same, sold a Panny 44" DLP and wanted around $1300 (listed $1500 OBO) and some jackass had the nerve to offer $200, but fvck, he could come right then and pick it up for me. :roll:

I just sent him an email with "hahahaha, you're funny." I rarely respond to low-ballers though, not worth the time.

supertunger99

Jul 14, 2000
I've had the same problems with Craigslist. Lots of flaky buyers. I mean come on craiglists, how hard would it be to implement a feedback system. Maybe craigslisters should start using heatware. :)

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
What also gets me are the people who agrees to a price on the phone but come over and they're short 10 or 20 dollars. They beg and plea but I don't ever give in. Either you have the full amount we agreed upon or get the fvck out.