Penn State protects child rapist that was former famous D-Coordinator

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
I wonder where they all those Paterno supporters have run off to now. I remember some were loudly proclaiming how that dirtbag JoePa was a saint and not at fault for anything. I hope that piece of shit statue at Pedo State has already been pulled down Saddam style and pissed on.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I wonder where they all those Paterno supporters have run off to now. I remember some were loudly proclaiming how that dirtbag JoePa was a saint and not at fault for anything. I hope that piece of shit statue at Pedo State has already been pulled down Saddam style and pissed on.

I wouldn't equate Paterno's crimes to Saddam's, but I agree - PSU absolutely needs to take his statue down and take his name off their library. These findings don't tarnish his legacy. They are his legacy.

As a Wolverine and a Badger, college football and especially Big Ten football are passions of mine and I'm ashamed that Penn State is even in my conference. I can't imagine how Penn State even moves forward from this aside from shutting its football program down for a few years so that it can start with a clean slate at some point in the future.

I said it in this thread already and the Freeh Report said the same thing: these crimes went unreported and the child predator went unprosecuted because of Penn State's football culture. It has to change.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
If the football culture there is to blame, then the only reasonable solution is the death penalty to the program and in a number of years totally rebuild it from scratch.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
JoePa enabled child rape and molestation.

And shame on the students who rioted in support of child sex abuse.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
A wonder if there has been any new information on the disappearance of the original DA who disappeared and his laptop found in a river/lake. Makes you wonder if someone at PSU had him whacked. Possibly add murder to protecting and enabling a child molester.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A wonder if there has been any new information on the disappearance of the original DA who disappeared and his laptop found in a river/lake. Makes you wonder if someone at PSU had him whacked. Possibly add murder to protecting and enabling a child molester.

they said early on there was no connection.

More idiocy by Paterno in a letter right before his death:

Pure comedy gold. Academic reputation, the fuck?

It gives us some insight into how disillusioned this POS was.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/11/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-paterno/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I read that last night. WTF how can the family release it? it seems as if they don't understand what is going on. They are acting like one of the football players was busted for cheating on a test. not having JoPa cover up child mollestation.

The letter also shows that he didn't get it either. It shows how he only cares for the football program and fuck everything else.

this is not good for penn state with the report being released.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Very interesting emails from the report. In 2001 (February), Curley wrote to Spanier and then Schultz replied to both opinions:
Curley:
I had a scheduled a meeting with you this afternoon about the subject we discussed on Sunday. After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday-- I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved. I think I would be more comfortable meeting with the person and tell him about the information we received. I would plan to tell him we are aware of the first situation. I would indicate we feel there is a problem and we want to assist the individual to get professional help. Also, we feel a responsibility at some point soon to inform his organization and and maybe the other one about the situation. If he is cooperative we would work with him to handle informing the organization. If not, we do not have a choice and will inform the two groups. Additionally, I will let him know that his guests are not permitted to use our facilities. I need some help on this one. What do you think about this approach?"

Spanier replied:
Tim: This approach is acceptable to me. It requires you to go a step further and means that your conversation will be all the more difficult, but I admire your willingness to do that and I am supportive. The only downside for us is if the message isn't heard and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road. The approach you outline is a humane and a reasonable way to proceed.

Schultz replied to both:
Tim [Curley] and Graham [Spanier], this is a more humane and upfront way to handle this. I can support this approach, with the understanding that we will inform his organization, with or without his cooperation (I think that's what Tim proposed). We can play it by ear to decide about the other organization.

I'm assuming the first organization = 2nd Mile. Second organization = the police? The kid's family?

And after talking with Joepa, Curley then said he felt "uncomfortable" on going to "everyone" (that they initially had planned), but the "person involved" (Sandusky). So it seems like their hearts were in the right place until the Curley talked to Joepa, who probably said to only talk to Sandusky. Which makes it even worse, because then Sandusky now knows he was caught and should be even more careful. Also, Sandusky was still allowed to use the facilities even after Tim suggested this not happen. Wtf - this fucker should have been put in prison in 2001 after everyone knew.

/cue Prometheus "If you don't stop it, there won't be any home to go back to!" clip.
http://www.hark.com/clips/zfchpwswxb-there-wont-be-a-home-to-go-back-to

Last edited:

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I wouldn't equate Paterno's crimes to Saddam's, but I agree - PSU absolutely needs to take his statue down and take his name off their library. These findings don't tarnish his legacy. They are his legacy.

As a Wolverine and a Badger, college football and especially Big Ten football are passions of mine and I'm ashamed that Penn State is even in my conference. I can't imagine how Penn State even moves forward from this aside from shutting its football program down for a few years so that it can start with a clean slate at some point in the future.

I said it in this thread already and the Freeh Report said the same thing: these crimes went unreported and the child predator went unprosecuted because of Penn State's football culture. It has to change.

Given the amount of corruption that's routinely uncovered in other college football programs, I don't think PSU is the only football culture that would cover-up child molestation for the sake of the program. This is why I'm not a college football fan - the whole system is corrupted to the core.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Given the amount of corruption that's routinely uncovered in other college football programs, I don't think PSU is the only football culture that would cover-up child molestation for the sake of the program. This is why I'm not a college football fan - the whole system is corrupted to the core.

That's why they really need to come down hard on PSU, to send a message out to all colleges and universities that football does not trump everything, not even close. And if any other school tries to pull the same BS PSU did, they will get the hammer dropped on them too.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
That's why they really need to come down hard on PSU, to send a message out to all colleges and universities that football does not trump everything, not even close. And if any other school tries to pull the same BS PSU did, they will get the hammer dropped on them too.

The only lesson learned by the other schools will likely be "cover up harder next time!" There's simply too much money involved.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

Agreed.

Agreed.

The only lesson learned by the other schools will likely be "cover up harder next time!" There's simply too much money involved.

Sadly, agreed.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They should probably bulldoze the stadium and turn it into a parking lot at this point. Maybe even do it to the entire campus. This is a series of cover ups to save an effing football program.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Anyone involved in the cover-up needs to do hard time in hardcore prison too. So the can truly understand and feel what the victims went through.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Throughout this whole ordeal there has been silence from representatives of a certain community that shall remain nameless. The standard response is that child molesters are not acknowledged as taking part in their lifestyle.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Throughout this whole ordeal there has been silence from representatives of a certain community that shall remain nameless. The standard response is that child molesters are not acknowledged as taking part in their lifestyle.

No need to beat around the bush, feel free to go full ignant on this one.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Just exactly what the fuck are you implying with that statement?

trololo