Pelosi: Deporting Illegal Immigrants 'Just Wrong'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
That's bad reasoning.

Cities are the economic engine of the US and many of the most successful ones are under liberal control as well. Why don't you mention how well liberal thinking works there?
Liberals already ran Detroit, Baltimore, Washington DC, Oakland, Newark, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and the entire state of California into the ground.

Instead of countering by saying which good cities are run by liberals, I want people to name some terrible cities that are run by conservatives.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People who ignore laws want to pass more laws?

How is that supposed to work out in the long run?

Who gets to pick which laws should be enforced, and which laws should not be enforced?

If our laws were enforced we wouldn't have millions of people living here illegally nor would we have the mess that is going to have to be dealt with to fix it. I think you can thank democrats and republicans to blame for that. One wants the Hispanic vote and the other wants the cheap union busting labor and it's up to these two clown camps to fix it. You can sense the rush they're in, right?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
On the surface what she is saying is true. It is wrong, we definitely have to find a better way to allow people to come here and live here if they want to. I don't think deportation at this point on a mass scale is the answer.

The first step would be raising immigration quotas, but both sides of the political aisle seem to recoil from the very thought. Heaven forbid the right have to willingly allow some more brown people into the country, or the left willingly allow more self-sufficient people who follow the law and might get naturalization preference over those more beholden to their social programs and likely to be Democratic voters.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Liberals already ran Detroit, Baltimore, Washington DC, Oakland, Newark, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and the entire state of California into the ground.

Instead of countering by saying which good cities are run by liberals, I want people to name some terrible cities that are run by conservatives.

Nice how you addressed the issue. What is wrong with deporting illegal immigrants? Nothing to say??????? You don't see any problems????

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Conservatives rarely run cities. I can list plenty of terrible places that are routinely run by conservatives though.

First that comes to mind is Mississippi, the poorest state in the country, worst education performance by any state in the country, etc has had nearly all Republican governors for the past two decades.

As for liberals running successful cities, San Francisco is a salient one to this thread. Nary a Republican mayor for a half century or so and yet it is one of the most successful cities in the country. Same for San Jose, which is even more successful and run by a seemingly endless series of Democrats. You might counter with Oakland, but that's exactly my point. Maybe attributing the success or lack thereof of a city to the ideology of its mayors is stupid.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That's bad reasoning.

Cities are the economic engine of the US and many of the most successful ones are under liberal control as well. Why don't you mention how well liberal thinking works there?

Because liberal thinking has nothing to do with them being an economic engine?

Cities are an economic engine because things like factories are located in cities.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because liberal thinking has nothing to do with them being an economic engine?

Cities are an economic engine because things like factories are located in cities.

I have no doubt that you will attempt to rationalize this. The good parts of cities are incidental. The bad parts of cities are due to the evil libruls.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
CA-12's poverty rate is below the national average. Regardless, the average household in Nancy Pelosi's district pays more in federal taxes than the average congressional district.

I think it's funny that conservatives so consistently call liberals lazy while living off liberals' tax dollars.

And I think it's funny that liberals so consistently call conservative rich, white, elitists while so many liberals are some of the richest people in the world.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Conservatives rarely run cities. I can list plenty of terrible places that are routinely run by conservatives though.

First that comes to mind is Mississippi, the poorest state in the country, worst education performance by any state in the country, etc has had nearly all Republican governors for the past two decades.

As for liberals running successful cities, San Francisco is a salient one to this thread. Nary a Republican mayor for a half century or so and yet it is one of the most successful cities in the country. Same for San Jose, which is even more successful and run by a seemingly endless series of Democrats. You might counter with Oakland, but that's exactly my point. Maybe attributing the success or lack thereof of a city to the ideology of its mayors is stupid.

Tourism is by far San Francisco's major economic driver, so it might not be the best example of "liberal success." Other examples of successful liberal-run cities would probably be more appropriate for that reason. Are plenty of examples of both poorly and well-run places led by either political party, so I daresay there's more at play than just party affiliation.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Well you could always hire a Republican who will do the work wrong and then do everything they can to sabotage any person trying to do the work correctly.

You mean like to people that came up with / implemented Obabacare / Healthcare.gov?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

The largest city in that state is Jackson. The first paragraph on wiki about the mayor is hilarious:
Chokwe Lumumba (born August 2, 1947) is Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi. Lumumba was born in westside of Detroit, Michigan as Edwin Finley Taliaferro, a name he refers to as his 'slave name'.
I'm sure he's a republican.

As for liberals running successful cities, San Francisco is a salient one to this thread. Nary a Republican mayor for a half century or so and yet it is one of the most successful cities in the country.
SF is one of those places that you would want to visit but never move to.
-SF is the homeless capital of the US.
-Anti-landlord laws have created an artificial housing shortage. A little more than 10,000 rental units sit vacant because leasing the units is too much of a legal liability.
-The violent crime rate in SF is about 50% higher than the California average (probably related to the poverty inflicted by tenant laws).
-SF is the least affordable city in the US. In the ongoing war against the middle class, SF is leading the way.

Same for San Jose, which is even more successful and run by a seemingly endless series of Democrats.
SJ is insolvent. It's not really a shining example of success. story

You might counter with Oakland, but that's exactly my point. Maybe attributing the success or lack thereof of a city to the ideology of its mayors is stupid.
You're right that most cities are liberal and this proves very little. What would really show the success rate of liberal vs conservative policies would be to look at population changes. As we've seen with Detroit, population goes down when the economy gets bad as people move to find jobs.
States with highest population growth:
North Dakota - republican
Texas - republican
Utah - republican
Colorado - democrat
Alaska - republican
Florida - republican
Washington - democrat
Arizona - republican
Georgia - republican
South Dakota - republican
Hawaii - democrat

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

That boys and girls is what liberalism is all about.

The city of San Francisco, is often considered the homelessness capital of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States

Uhmm, that was already explained. I was talking about Pelosi's district, where the median income is somewhere around the 70th percentile.

If that is true about the income, that makes SF a sad place.

How can a city so rich have so many homeless?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Funny creatures those liberal democrats. I wonder if someone was trespassing on Pelosi's property if she would call the police and have them removed?

Maybe Pelosi is going to allow people to setup camp in her front and back yard, and share her property with them?

Better yet, Pelosi should buy those illegals a home and piece of land. Something they can call their own.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...llegally-That-is-Not-a-Reason-for-Deportation

We are a nation of laws. Do not pass a law, then pick and choose which ones are going to be enforced.

I believe Ms Pelosi advocates changing the law, not ignoring it.

Faux outrage deflectors are now set to maximum.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
When you say, dumbs you down, of course you mean makes you think like a conservative. You are right. Lack of sleep, being drunk or on drugs, makes even liberals think more like conservatives, as well as being in a state of fear.

Actually you have it backwards. lack of sleep, being drunk or on drugs tend to make conservatives become more liberal and liberals completely brain dead.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
If that is true about the income, that makes SF a sad place.

How can a city so rich have so many homeless?

Liberalism is all about forcing other people to pay for charity so you can feel good for yourself.

Since SF is full of liberals there are no others to force to pay for the charity.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
When you say, dumbs you down, of course you mean makes you think like a conservative. You are right. Lack of sleep, being drunk or on drugs, makes even liberals think more like conservatives, as well as being in a state of fear.

Probably because the amount of double think required to be a liberal is not possible possible when, drunk, sleep deprived, or on drugs :cool:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The largest city in that state is Jackson. The first paragraph on wiki about the mayor is hilarious:
I'm sure he's a republican.

Ah see again you're just trying to ignore inconvenient facts. By almost any margin Mississippi is one of the largest failed governance areas in the United States, run by reliably conservative politicians.

You want to pretend it doesn't exist because it tells you things you don't want to hear.

SF is one of those places that you would want to visit but never move to.

Well you better tell all the people that have moved there that. Meanwhile, nice try at selective facts again.

Yeah I'm sure none of that has to do with not freezing to death in the winter or dying of heat stroke in the summer.

-Anti-landlord laws have created an artificial housing shortage. A little more than 10,000 rental units sit vacant because leasing the units is too much of a legal liability.

Yeah I read that article too.

-The violent crime rate in SF is about 50% higher than the California average (probably related to the poverty inflicted by tenant laws).

No, probably not.

Also:
1.) Comparing city crime rate to statewide crime rate is stupid.
2.) San Francisco's violent crime rate is significantly lower than that of many other cities with less restrictive tenant laws. (the conservative South generally has the highest violent crime rates)

-SF is the least affordable city in the US. In the ongoing war against the middle class, SF is leading the way.

Which again comes back to housing. Part of the housing issue is restrictive laws, the other part of the housing issue is the absolute overwhelming demand of people to live there.

SJ is insolvent. It's not really a shining example of success. story

It is also one of the wealthiest cities per capita on the planet. That's a shining example of success to me.

You're right that most cities are liberal and this proves very little. What would really show the success rate of liberal vs conservative policies would be to look at population changes. As we've seen with Detroit, population goes down when the economy gets bad as people move to find jobs.
States with highest population growth:
North Dakota - republican
Texas - republican
Utah - republican
Colorado - democrat
Alaska - republican
Florida - republican
Washington - democrat
Arizona - republican
Georgia - republican
South Dakota - republican
Hawaii - democrat

Where are you getting the idea that population growth is indicative of success? According to the UN the countries with the highest population growth rate from 2005-2010 were Liberia, Burundi, Afghanistan, Western Sahara, and East Timor.

This is all just ridiculous nonsense that comes from not knowing how to use statistics. (just so I'm clear, aren't you the shadowstats guy?)

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013

Where are you getting the idea that population growth is indicative of success? According to the UN the countries with the highest population growth rate from 2005-2010 were Liberia, Burundi, Afghanistan, Western Sahara, and East Timor.

This is all just ridiculous nonsense that comes from not knowing how to use statistics. (just so I'm clear, aren't you the shadowstats guy?)

So, you do understand that there is no visa needed or immigration process to move from one state to another within the US? Its not that way moving from nation to nation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, you do understand that there is no visa needed or immigration process to move from one state to another within the US? Its not that way moving from nation to nation.

Of course I know that. So what? First thing that jumps out at me is that there's a known inverse relationship between income and fertility rate. The poorer a place is the more likely its population is to grow. In that case, government failure would provide an incentive for population to increase, yet its being used as a measure of success.

I just wanted to know if there was any substantive reason for why he was making that judgment or if he had been fooled again by some disreputable source like he was before with Shadowstats.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I love how she says "here without sufficient documentation", as if it's just a matter of some paperwork that got misplaced. Wonder if she'd be OK with me taking her car "without sufficient documentation" as well.

With stark raving lunatics like her as our "leaders", how can we possibly hope to succeed as a country?

Its kind of like drug dealers claiming to be "unlicensed" pharmacists and its just a matter of licensing so arresting drug dealers is "Wrong" because all they doing is acting without "Sufficient" licensing to dispense drugs into society.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Ah see again you're just trying to ignore inconvenient facts. By almost any margin Mississippi is one of the largest failed governance areas in the United States, run by reliably conservative politicians.

You want to pretend it doesn't exist because it tells you things you don't want to hear.

Well you better tell all the people that have moved there that. Meanwhile, nice try at selective facts again.

Yeah I'm sure none of that has to do with not freezing to death in the winter or dying of heat stroke in the summer.

Yeah I read that article too.

No, probably not.

Also:
1.) Comparing city crime rate to statewide crime rate is stupid.
2.) San Francisco's violent crime rate is significantly lower than that of many other cities with less restrictive tenant laws. (the conservative South generally has the highest violent crime rates)

Which again comes back to housing. Part of the housing issue is restrictive laws, the other part of the housing issue is the absolute overwhelming demand of people to live there.

It is also one of the wealthiest cities per capita on the planet. That's a shining example of success to me.

I can safely state that a SF's crime rate has benefited by our city government being jackasses and artificially raising the cost of living via inane city policies, taxes, regulations, etc. So the net benefit is that working poor have been pushed out of the city into Oakland, CA. You still get criminals in SF via Eastbay folks hopping on BART to go to SF to commit crimes, sell drugs, etc. However those working poor or middle class working families who are left are barely clinging to what they have as "progressive" politicians in the city push the cost of living higher and higher. Eventually they will either be priced out and forced to move out or just end up on the government welfare rolls. Hence the steady decline of SF's Latino and African American community which has been decimated by the rise in the cost of living in the city.

Last edited: