Peanut allergy say bye-bye

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
In my day we never had these allergies (or at least never heard of it). Good to know its being worked on.

Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
In my day we never had these allergies (or at least never heard of it). Good to know its being worked on.

Same here. I had never heard of a peanut allergy when I was younger. Strange, I wonder what started the problem.

I would have been in trouble if I had a peanut allergy. My dad grew Peanuts, Hogs and Water Melons.

Jul 27, 2020
Strange, I wonder what started the problem.

But there are also other studies saying there is no such link. Whatever it is, it is likely related to a disturbace in the gut bacterial population. It is imperative for babies to feed on their mother's milk for the colostrum to keep them healthy. Infant formulas can be jacked up artificially with vitamins and minerals but a baby needs more than that.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

But there are also other studies saying there is no such link. Whatever it is, it is likely related to a disturbace in the gut bacterial population. It is imperative for babies to feed on their mother's milk for the colostrum to keep them healthy. Infant formulas can be jacked up artificially with vitamins and minerals but a baby needs more than that.

Thanks I was just looking at several articles about peanut allergies spiking about 1995 to epidemic levels.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Did you figure out what happened around that time?

Nope.

Good info. in the conclusion section.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Taken together, the best explanation for the increase in asthma is that it resulted from an increase in sensitization to indoor allergens and the loss of a lung specific protective effect of regular deep inspiration.

So the answer seems to be laziness. Modern parents are lazy and don't encourage their kids to run around more and play outside more. This doesn't allow their lungs to breathe as deeply as the previous generations did and this reduction in blood flow and oxygen causes all sorts of problems. Also, playing outside more would keep them away from the concentrated allergens inside their homes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I played outside in a sandbox, in the garden, and in the dirt, and I ain't got no stinkin' "Peanut Allergy". Sucks to be the people that do, though.

I wonder if the allergy is caused by a vaccine that some toddlers get? "They say" that getting all those childhood vaccines, before their immune system has fully formed, can have deleterious effects on the child.

Jul 27, 2020
Natasha's Law, which forces food chains to carry proper allergen warnings, was passed last October.

The law was named after Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, who died from anaphylactic shock in July 2016 after she ate a Pret a Manger sandwich laced with sesame seeds not listed on the label.

Wow. So sad that a girl had to die for that law to be passed.

Also, either nuts should be banned on flight or allergy sufferers should be wearing N95 masks to protect themselves from circulating airborne nut dust.

Nov 17, 2019
I eat stuff past date, stuff that's been out on the counter or in the fridge way too long. I do other stuff people would never think of, or would cringe at.

I very rarely get sick.

It's along been said that being 'too clean' weakens your system and makes you more prone to bad things.

Reactions: pcgeek11