Peak Oil

whiteboy81

Feb 11, 2004
Check this out: Peak Oil. Some pretty interesting stuff here, just wanted to get some opinions from the highly educated group at Anandtech. I'm not one to worry too much about doomsday theories, but this definetely seems like a disturbing possibility.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
This topic has been covered here before, and relatively recently to boot. We definitely should be utilizing and researching renewable energy sources much more than we are right now, but I don't think the situation is as dire as they make it out to be.

Kenny1234

Aug 31, 2003
I've heard some people say that it could have peaked in 2000 or 2001, but need to wait to see if oil production is still declining.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: bradruth
This topic has been covered here before, and relatively recently to boot. We definitely should be utilizing and researching renewable energy sources much more than we are right now, but I don't think the situation is as dire as they make it out to be.

We won't make electric cars pratical until we run out of oil, but by then it will be too late. Instead we will have wars over it, spend billions of dollars on it, and many will die over it, ..instead of replacing it.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Welcome to Anandtech. Interesting first post. Time will tell what you meant from it.

I won't get into details. But the writer's idea that oil will become too costly to drill in 2004 is quite laughable. Heck just through out oil entirely - we can make fuel from coal at about $4 a gallon. Coal supplies are known to be abundant enough for a few more hundred years. No reason to think 2004 will be the year of our doom...

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

We won't make electric cars pratical until we run out of oil, but by then it will be too late. Instead we will have wars over it, spend billions of dollars on it, and many will die over it, ..instead of replacing it.

It's not necessary to have fully electric cars right now, but we should definitely have more hybrid cars. You have to take baby steps before you can run with it.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

It's not necessary to have fully electric cars right now, but we should definitely have more hybrid cars. You have to take baby steps before you can run with it.

I don't see us taking an initiative to do such things. Things are looking up, but large automotive companies do not want to make drastic changes to their design, and the people do not want to see an end to their huge gas guzzling SUV's and V8 engines.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002

I don't see us taking an initiative to do such things. Things are looking up, but large automotive companies do not want to make drastic changes to their design, and the people do not want to see an end to their huge gas guzzling SUV's and V8 engines.

Sadly, you're right. SUVs and other gas-guzzling vehicles are way too prevalant (especially in urban areas). What the hell does a soccer mom need a 4-wheel drive vehicle with a V8 for when they live in a large city? At least around my area, pickups and the like are warranted due to the weather. When gas prices start rising because of a legit shortage, then we'll probably end up moving toward hybrids and the like. I'm saying what SHOULD be done, not what will be done.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

Sadly, you're right. SUVs and other gas-guzzling vehicles are way too prevalant (especially in urban areas). What the hell does a soccer mom need a 4-wheel drive vehicle with a V8 for when they live in a large city? At least around my area, pickups and the like are warranted due to the weather. When gas prices start rising because of a legit shortage, then we'll probably end up moving toward hybrids and the like. I'm saying what SHOULD be done, not what will be done.

Funny how the people with the V8 engines are the first ones to complain and whine about high gas prices.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
there needs to be some big breakthrough in energy storage (i.e. batteries) before "charge and go" electric cars for the masses will be feasable.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: SaulbadguyFunny how the people with the V8 engines are the first ones to complain and whine about high gas prices.

While their little bastard kids lie down in the back of the vehicle while watching a DVD on the widescreen TV installed in the vehicle. IT'S NOT A FVCKING MOVING HOUSE.

whiteboy81

Feb 11, 2004
It honestly seems like many have not read the article in full. If you do, you will understand that this has so many more ramifications than 'higher gas prices'. That is a simple view of it and yes, in and of itself raising gas prices up to 10x over could cripple our economies. However, there is actually little in our everyday lives that doesn't relate to oil in one way or another.

As far as coal:

Coal accounts for 24% of current global energy supply. As a replacement for oil, it is unsuitable due to the fact that it is 50% to 200% heavier than oil per energy unit. Substituting coal for oil would require expansion of coal mining, leading to land ruin and increase in greenhouse gas emissions. In contrast to oil and gas fuels, fine-tuning the rate at which coal burns is difficult. It is therefore used in power stations to make electricity, wasting half of its energy content.
Coal mining operations run on oil fuels as do coal-mining machinery and transportation. Pollution is also a major problem. A single coal-fired station can produce a million tons of solid waste each year. Burning coal in homes pollutes air with acrid smog containing acid gases and particles. Large pollution & environmental problems: (Smog, greenhouse gases, and acid rain). Finally, liquid fuels from coal are very inefficient, and huge amounts of water required."

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
unfortunately I can see the end of society as we know it occuring in the very near future b/c of peak oil. our word revolves around oil and our economy and way of life will come to an end in the next 30 years :(

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Funny how the people with the V8 engines are the first ones to complain and whine about high gas prices.

Not true. The most complaints I hear are from right here on AT. The mecca of anti-SUVdom.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: redly1
there needs to be some big breakthrough in energy storage (i.e. batteries) before "charge and go" electric cars for the masses will be feasable.

So where do you propose that the electricity to charge those batteries come from? :p

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

So where do you propose that the electricity to charge those batteries come from? :p
via hydro, wind, nuclear or solar sources?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
something ive been thinking about. u know how you make mistakes in life that have rippling ramifications throughtout your life (like gettin into the wrong field, etc)

i think we as a species made a bad decision for the long run by relying so heavily on oil and electricity. now we are too dependant and nothing we can do will change that other than most of us perishing

i can envision the horrid wars already and it worries me a lot! :Q

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Mallow
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteve

via hydro, wind, nuclear or solar sources?

Nuclear is ridiculously inefficient, and solar, hydro, and wind cannot take up the slack as things stand. There would have to be a major push to get them set up, and batteries still suck as a storage medium. Solar and wind hydrogen take care of that problem, though.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Don't worry, peak oil will affect us last, since we can just attack the middle east for oil!

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Don't worry, peak oil will affect us last, since we can just attack the middle east for oil!

who says other countries wont attack us? maybe our allies will turn on us.
one thing's for sure...the entire world will be fighting with each other