Peace deal signed with Taliban

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The one and only plus I see in Trump, he is not a war hawk.
After all those years of fighting over there we should get out and damn be the war hawks.
If we are spending less money over there then maybe we will have more money to spend over here instead of ravaging Medicare and social security to reduce Trump’s national debt.
Let’s hope so.
And by the way, a president Joe Biden would have never pulled out of Afghanistan.
Joe would be intimidated by the war hawks and remained fighting.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hey.... A peace deal is a peace deal. Hope it works out...

I often wonder what would have happened had we not invaded Iraq and instead coordinated a response with international partners to put more resources into Afghanistan, and demanded that countries like Saudi Arabia stop funding the spread of radical Islamism with real world consequences. Or whether it would have been possible to pursue Al Qaeda in Afghanistan without actually occupying the entire country.
I joke that the real reason we invaded Afghanistan is that the Taliban had nearly wiped out opium production. Can't have that.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I joke that the real reason we invaded Afghanistan is that the Taliban had nearly wiped out opium production. Can't have that.
And now the Taliban are major players in the opium trade with Afghanistan being the world's leading producer. Something tells me that won't change anytime soon.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I read that this is an agreement to do a agreement. One of the conditions to this pre-agreement is that the US must pull out 5000 troops.

So this sounds like your typical bull shit trump deal where the biggest winner is Putin.

Reactions: tweaker2

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I no longer have a problem with that. I'm pretty much done with the festering shit hole that is the middle east. I'm done with US soldiers spending their lives for no reason at all, I'm done watching tax dollars flushed down that bottomless pit of ignorance.
That's cute ~ you mess up entire regions, nations then pack your bags with a big FU & say in the end not my problem! Remind us how many people were killed in the ME, ROTW for your "War on Terror" & before you go 9/11 you'd also want to check the origins of Al Qaeda, Bin Laden :rolleyes:
I read that this is an agreement to do a agreement. One of the conditions to this pre-agreement is that the US must pull out 5000 troops.

So this sounds like your typical bull shit trump deal where the biggest winner is Putin.
The biggest beneficiary is Taliban, you know the ones that culled ethic Hazaras in Afghanistan not to mention blew up the Bamiyan Buddha statues. It's like the US wants to outdo their Vietnam clusterfuck, Iraq & now Afghanistan it's the full circle :expressionless:

Just a reminder, anyone not Taliban is fair game in their eyes & the US seems to have redone a ~1989 here except there's no USSR.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Very hard to conclude that all those decades of lives (and material resources, though obviously that's very much secondary) being lost were worth it.

Do people think that the original invasion was anything other than a really bad idea?

(I mean I remember being against it at the time but thinking it might not be a complete disaster if they just blow some stuff up, topple the Taliban - if only temporarily - and quickly get out. Unlike Iraq, it's not like there was that much in Afghanistan to ruin or destroy).

I know there is a whole faction of 'left' liberal-interventionists, and sometimes I waver and wonder about traditional left opposition to such things, especially when the likes of Gabbard (or our George Galloway) end up actively siding with despots in the name of being anti-war. But western intervention so rarely seems to produce good outcomes. To many mixed-motives and too little understanding or commitment.

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So all it took to get a peace deal was complete capitulation to Taliban demands and release and rearming of 5000 terrorists and murderers?

Duh, no wonder Obama couldn't get it done

• Haha
Reactions: shortylickens
Feb 4, 2009
So all it took to get a peace deal was complete capitulation to Taliban demands and release and rearming of 5000 terrorists and murderers?

Duh, no wonder Obama couldn't get it done

Per the article the has to live up to some agreements too.
However even if it is a shitty deal I’m alright with it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

This is what I thought from the moment I heard about Trump's deal with the Taliban. Looking at this "deal" from this perspective is to me more revealing of the end results and goals to be accomplished by the Trump/Putin partnership than any of the others being bandied about at the moment.

As with Syria and other policy directives Trump have been pushing for in that part of the world it's been Putin that's been the consistent winner, as well as with certain other domestic policies that Trump has either promoted or enacted, most notably how he has been so divisive in his rhetoric and deed.

As an aside, I had to LOL when I heard a conservative pundit on CNN say how Bernie (in my mind she was referring to ANY of the Dem candidates) would catastrophically divide the nation when Trump has already done that in order to keep his sorry ass in the White House.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
"BHWAAAH! I WANT NOBEL PUHWISE!!!! GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!"

lol. nope. Trump has proven to not be trustworthy. Anything he touches turns to garbage.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
1st possible snag encountered.

Confusion is caused by conflicting US statements, gee what a surprise from this administration.

The confusion over their fate stems in part from a difference in language between a statement released by the US on Saturday in Kabul, and the US-Taliban agreement.

The deal reached in Doha states that the US will "work with all relevant sides on a plan to expeditiously release" prisoners, before adding that the release
WILL HAPPEN BY the 10th March start of "intra-Afghan talks".

However, the US-Afghan joint declaration released on the same day simply says the US will facilitate between the government and Taliban on the "feasibility" of prisoner release.

Feb 4, 2009
1st possible snag encountered.

Confusion is caused by conflicting US statements, gee what a surprise from this administration.

The confusion over their fate stems in part from a difference in language between a statement released by the US on Saturday in Kabul, and the US-Taliban agreement.

The deal reached in Doha states that the US will "work with all relevant sides on a plan to expeditiously release" prisoners, before adding that the release
WILL HAPPEN BY the 10th March start of "intra-Afghan talks".

However, the US-Afghan joint declaration released on the same day simply says the US will facilitate between the government and Taliban on the "feasibility" of prisoner release.

He is probably not a dummy seeing what happened with the Kurds

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Beginning to sound like the recent Israel/Palestine Deal. In the sense that only some parties involved with the overlying issue were actually part of the negotiation, but are part of the obligations. Not worth the paper it's written on.