News [PCGamer] AMD is ahead of Nvidia in overall GPU shipments for the first time since 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
The gaming industry revolves around Linux and 'support' is an existential thing that doesn't require customers being able to use it..... Ladies and gentlemen AMD support base :)
Yeah, especially when Stadia, Google's game streaming service is totally around Linux, and AMD GPUs.

But hey, you will spin it that it is meaningless, and that true future is RTX.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-2019-January-Stats

My apologies, 0.82% is a level of domination that the mind can't comprehend. I have seen the light, Linux is the only thing that matters in the gaming world......

Streaming game services, GeForce now has been a thing for years, physics is still a thing, no matter what hardware or software you're using. I don't recall seeing the team green boys ever hyping that up, I guarantee you I never did. Now, all of a sudden, it's some groundbreaking technology?

AMD is supporting ray tracing, it's just they don't have any hardware level support and they are blocking it at the driver level from working with DXR...?

The future is ray tracing, you keep harping on RTX, that's just the only hardware we have right now. AMD could have released some too and I wouldn't have bothered getting involved in this discussion, you all could be having your normal inane debates about fractional differences in cost versus performance.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Steam-2019-January-Stats

My apologies, 0.82% is a level of domination that the mind can't comprehend. I have seen the light, Linux is the only thing that matters in the gaming world......

Streaming game services, GeForce now has been a thing for years.
The future of gaming is Linux. And there will never be DXR on Linux, unless Microsoft will release DirectX for Linux, or will make their own Linux distro for computers.

Don't compare GeForce Now to Stadia. Google is milion times bigger than Nvidia. And their product is better than Nvidia's was.

Stadia makes Linux gaming much more viable, because right now companies which will want to be on Stadia will want to port their games to Linux, and Vulkan. There is a very good reason why Bungie went out from Battle.net to Steam and will offer their Destiny 2 game on Stadia.

Steam is Valve's game store, and Valve is biggest supporter of Linux in the industry. There is a very good reason why Bungie decided to go to Steam. Which is Linux support. Maybe Bungie haven't announced it yet, but I can easily see that they are porting their game to Vulkan and Linux. And similar thing will happen with more games that will want to be on Stadia.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The future of gaming is Linux. And there will never be DXR on Linux, unless Microsoft will release DirectX for Linux, or will make their own Linux distro for computers.

Don't compare GeForce Now to Stadia. Google is milion times bigger than Nvidia. And their product is better than Nvidia's was.

Stadia makes Linux gaming much more viable, because right now companies which will want to be on Stadia will want to port their games to Linux, and Vulkan. There is a very good reason why Bungie went out from Battle.net to Steam and will offer their Destiny 2 game on Stadia.

Steam is Valve's game store, and Valve is biggest supporter of Linux in the industry. There is a very good reason why Bungie decided to go to Steam. Which is Linux support. Maybe Bungie haven't announced it yet, but I can easily see that they are porting their game to Vulkan and Linux. And similar thing will happen with more games that will want to be on Stadia.

Are you saying that the future of gaming is streaming and will be built on Linux and so therefore the future of gaming is Linux? If so, I guess we'll see but I have my doubts. Stadia looks like the most feasible streaming solution I've seen so far but Google also has a history of abandoning projects fairly quickly. Microsoft could step out with some streaming solutions as well (and I'm pretty sure they are working on it) but I'd imagine that'd be built on Windows.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Are you saying that the future of gaming is streaming and will be built on Linux and so therefore the future of gaming is Linux? If so, I guess we'll see but I have my doubts. Stadia looks like the most feasible streaming solution I've seen so far but Google also has a history of abandoning projects fairly quickly. Microsoft could step out with some streaming solutions as well (and I'm pretty sure they are working on it) but I'd imagine that'd be built on Windows.
No. Im saying that future of gaming is Linux. Thats it. Stadia, and other game streaming services in the future, is just part of it.

The fact that Stadia, and other game streaming services will run on Linux for obvious reasons, will only help Linux Desktop. In software development, and user adoption.

Even Linux Tech Tips are saying that Linux is future of gaming.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
1) Nothing against Linus, but I don't really care what he has to say.
2) We'll see, again, I have my doubts. In order for Linux to be the future of gaming you have to get people to move to Linux for personal use in the first place which I've been told is happening for the last 20 years but have yet to see it make any real headway. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it happens any time soon enough to make it worth discussing at this point in time.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
1) Nothing against Linus, but I don't really care what he has to say.
2) We'll see, again, I have my doubts. In order for Linux to be the future of gaming you have to get people to move to Linux for personal use in the first place which I've been told is happening for the last 20 years but have yet to see it make any real headway. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it happens any time soon enough to make it worth discussing at this point in time.
The move to Linux will happen with the advancement in software development and maturity of Linux, that has happened over past few years.

I started being interested in Linux around January, and currently im on my 5th distro: Ubuntu, Manjaro, Pop!_OS, Fedora, and Solus, and few other different flavors of Distros, with different desktops like Budgie, or XFCE. The amount of progress that has been done just in those 9 months is uncomparable to any other platform.

Linux matures in a factorial manner. The same way people will start coming to Linux, considering that in some cases, it already outperforms Windows in Gaming. And the differences will only grow, as time will go by, because the work is constantly done here.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The move to Linux will happen with the advancement in software development and maturity of Linux, that has happened over past few years.

I started being interested in Linux around January, and currently im on my 5th distro: Ubuntu, Manjaro, Pop!_OS, Fedora, and Solus, and few other different flavors of Distros, with different desktops like Budgie, or XFCE. The amount of progress that has been done just in those 9 months is uncomparable to any other platform.

Linux matures in a factorial manner. The same way people will start coming to Linux, considering that in some cases, it already outperforms Windows in Gaming. And the differences will only grow, as time will go by, because the work is constantly done here.

We'll see. Getting Vulkan on Linux has definitely been a huge benefit for Linux Gaming, but I still don't see many people making the switch. Like I said, I've heard about how much Linux is improving and it's going to rule the desktop market for 20 years. I just don't see it happening. Most of the same problems that prevented Linux from becoming mainstream 20 years ago still exist today. This is coming from a Linux user who would love nothing more to get completely off of Windows if I could. Anyway, that's my opinion, take it or leave it, time will tell.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
We'll see. Getting Vulkan on Linux has definitely been a huge benefit for Linux Gaming, but I still don't see many people making the switch. Like I said, I've heard about how much Linux is improving and it's going to rule the desktop market for 20 years. I just don't see it happening. Most of the same problems that prevented Linux from becoming mainstream 20 years ago still exist today. This is coming from a Linux user who would love nothing more to get completely off of Windows if I could. Anyway, that's my opinion, take it or leave it, time will tell.
Of course there are problems. But there are way less problems with Current Linux than it has ever been.

The biggest problem: Legacy Support for ... brand new Navi GPUs :p. The Open Source, and even official AMD's drivers for Linux are not ready, yet.

Let me give you guys a perspective. Radeon RX 5700 XT is getting average of around 110-115 FPS in Overwatch, 1080p/Epic settings, running on DXVK/Lutris on Linux.

The same game, the same settings, just different GPU: GTX 1660 Ti. Average of 150 FPS, using latest Nvidia's drivers for Linux.

End of off-top.