PCB color

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Is this a long-running joke or is there a connection between PCB quality/complexity and solder mask color?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Black components are always faster then equivalent parts of any other color. It's a proven fact.

This study relates to cases specifically, but I'm pretty sure these concepts have be proven to apply to all PC hardware: http://www.dansdata.com/black.htm

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Its the most important thing for people with windows in their case who stare into it.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Just look who is asking and the answer should be clear

Edit,....this was not directed towards the op but towards the "long running joke"

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The black color makes the electrons move faster through the copper since black is the natural color of the universe.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
There is absolutely no relationship between the color of the PCB and its quality.

Thanks a lot for the straight answer. A quick Google search sort of answered the question, but I still see it spread around on forums that PCB is graded in colors. I wasn't really sure.

This study relates to cases specifically, but I'm pretty sure these concepts have be proven to apply to all PC hardware: http://www.dansdata.com/black.htm

what the heck is a computron

sounds positively octarine

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Is this a long-running joke or is there a connection between PCB quality/complexity and solder mask color?

Yes, its a joke. There is a poster on here (tweakboy) who truly believes it matters and spouts it off often. However if you look at his post history you'll notice have the crap he posts is illiterate bs.

There is absolutely no relationship between the color of the PCB and its quality.

This is the real answer.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Yes, its a joke. There is a poster on here (tweakboy) who truly believes it matters and spouts it off often. However if you look at his post history you'll notice have the crap he posts is illiterate bs.

This is the real answer.

Lets check Fudzilla for the truth.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Thanks a lot for the straight answer. A quick Google search sort of answered the question, but I still see it spread around on forums that PCB is graded in colors. I wasn't really sure.

A lot of people assume that anyone that doesn't know something that they do is stupid, and that stupid people deserve to be tricked.
Those giving that kind of advice are just deriving sadistic pleasure out of tricking others into making bad choices. Or have been duped themselves and repeat the bad advice given to them.

As far as such practical jokes go though, its a lot less severe the others. Some of the fake advice you find online can cause serious injuries.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
A lot of people assume that anyone that doesn't know something that they do is stupid, and that stupid people deserve to be tricked.
Those giving that kind of advice are just deriving sadistic pleasure out of tricking others into making bad choices. Or have been duped themselves and repeat the bad advice given to them.

As far as such practical jokes go though, its a lot less severe the others. Some of the fake advice you find online can cause serious injuries.

Did you even read the article I linked to?

I'm not sure they could have made it more obvious that it was joke without actually saying, "This is a joke! Do not take seriously!"

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Did you even read the article I linked to?

I'm not sure they could have made it more obvious that it was joke without actually saying, "This is a joke! Do not take seriously!"

I wasn't talking to you. And no, I did not read your article, I saw the title and it was funny and obviously a joke. But that is NOT what I am talking about...

Red and blue PCBs are cheap from cheap companies,,

green PCB like ASUS or Gigabyte is best quality.

THIS is what I am talking about.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Red and blue PCBs are cheap from cheap companies,,

green PCB like ASUS or Gigabyte is best quality.

....again with this? Next you are going to say Galaxy is a bad Video card company... oh wait...

Galaxy wtf is that company. No trust in junk companies as their PCB is lower quality junk usually red or blue.
Quality PCB is green and is from ASUS or EVGA or Gigabyte,,, the rest of companies are joke imo like PNY and Galaxy and BFG Diamond XFX etc,,

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
10 (or so) years ago it seemed popular to have a window in your case with lights and everything inside had to look ....uh interesting. These days no one gives a sh#$

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
10 (or so) years ago it seemed popular to have a window in your case with lights and everything inside had to look ....uh interesting. These days no one gives a sh#$

i think what happened was that you grew up, your friends grew up, and now you never hang out with people who care about that.

I am sure the 12 year olds today still care about glow junk in their PC

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Heh.. I have glow junk in my PC.. and I am not a 12 year old. :colbert:

Ah, I said I am SURE About 12 year olds... older people I am not SURE about... they might or might NOT care. And its not like EVERY 12 year old cares...

Generally I think that as one gets older, they care less and less about those things. But it is by no means universal or a BAD thing that they do.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Ah, I said I am SURE About 12 year olds... older people I am not SURE about... they might or might NOT care. And its not like EVERY 12 year old cares... Generally I think that as one gets older, they care less and less about those things. But it is by no means universal or a BAD thing that they do.

LOL.. I am just playing. What you said is true and I totally agree with that.. flashy things do tend to get old..