PC Sales down 7% in 4Q

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2647517

Down 10% for the year. They claim that it's bottoming out, but I doubt it. The one thing that is strange about this report is that they include some tablets but not others. I don't know if that means they included Surface Pro but not any other Windows tablets. Regardless, it's clear that Intel needs to get sales (and profits) from tablets going in 2014.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
The problem is now they are going to have completely random arbitrary divisions between what is a PC and what isn't, and these sorts of things will get more and more meaningless as time progresses.

I would say I have a tablet, but it's also a "PC", it's a convertible Windows 8 tablet with an Ivybridge processor.

Note: Data includes desk-based PCs and mobile PCs, including mini-notebooks but not media tablets such as the iPad. Data is based on the shipments selling into channels.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Why do you doubt that it's bottoming out? The idea that tablets will completely replace laptops and desktops is still beyond flawed.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I think most of the problem is if you are running Sandy/Ivy Bridge why upgrade... heck I'm running a Lynnfield and will be updating to Haswell this weekend just because I got a killer deal on the CPU. At retail I would have never done it.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Whatever. I've found that more and more people are building gaming desktops now more than ever. Steam has played a big part in that IMO.

erunion

Jan 20, 2013
Why do you doubt that it's bottoming out? The idea that tablets will completely replace laptops and desktops is still beyond flawed.

The flaw is in the assumption that tablet means ARM and Apple/Android. Wintel will continue to move towards tablets, which will hasten "the decline of the PC" but not with the result many are expecting(ie the death of Wintel).

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Whatever. I've found that more and more people are building gaming desktops now more than ever. Steam has played a big part in that IMO.

Maybe but I lot are buying used.... for example I will put my I7-870 with MB on the for sale forums here for dirt cheap why buy new for 80% of people?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
XP boxes that won't die are still abound. Sadly, I've even repaired and reloaded some, recently. I am guilty, having kept my base PC for around 6 years, even as a gamer!

It's a bad time to be in the cut-throat business of desktop PCs, but the sales are still to high to get out, as well.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I can see sales being at the bottom. Enterprises have been holding off on refreshes for a long time. They are going to have to do large scale replacements very soon.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
I can see sales being at the bottom. Enterprises have been holding off on refreshes for a long time. They are going to have to do large scale replacements very soon.

Why? I mean, I see a lot of Optiplex 960s where I work and those are ~5 years old. They're C2D E8400s with 4GB RAM. That is more than functional for an office environment. Pretty much any dual core is up to the tasks of a typical office.

Maybe some companies are on P4s still, but then we're talking about an 8 year old box.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Why? I mean, I see a lot of Optiplex 960s where I work and those are ~5 years old. They're C2D E8400s with 4GB RAM. That is more than functional for an office environment. Pretty much any dual core is up to the tasks of a typical office.

Maybe some companies are on P4s still, but then we're talking about an 8 year old box.

Failure rates, especially on laptops start to skyrocket after three years. Many enterprises have done lease extensions into four and five years. The cost of maintaining those machines is becoming prohibitive.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Failure rates, especially on laptops start to skyrocket after three years. Many enterprises have done lease extensions into four and five years. The cost of maintaining those machines is becoming prohibitive.

When a corporation "leases" an Optiplex from Dell (or is it a third-party?), how is the maint. and repair handled? If the the company has a problem with the unit, don't they just call Dell (or the leasing company) to fix it?

Or by "cost of maintaining those machines", do you really mean the cost of downtime when a PC fails, and has to be replaced and re-imaged?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Maybe not completely but things are going to continue to get smaller... and that means tablets, 2-in-ones, smartphones, and utilitarian devices like Chromebooks. Right now, Intel is starting to move the default laptop processor to 17W; and I could see that going lower as time goes on.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Yep. And the doubleflop with Win8 and Win8.1 havent helped either.

lefty2

May 15, 2013
Gartner and IDC predictions for PC decline don't tally with the actual unit sales from AMD and Intel. For instance in 3Q Gartner say PC sales declined 9%, but sales figures from AMD and Intel show it to be 5% and it's pretty much the same for 1Q and 2Q.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Gartner and IDC predictions for PC decline don't tally with the actual unit sales from AMD and Intel. For instance in 3Q Gartner say PC sales declined 9%, but sales figures from AMD and Intel show it to be 5% and it's pretty much the same for 1Q and 2Q.

People or even shops who do builds are not counted....

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
Do both count units? Or is one counting revenues? If the latter, you can't compare what AMD/Intel report with what IDC/Gartner report.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Steam is topping 7 million concurrent users and that's a drop in the bucket whatever the scale you want to use.

Everyone is posting bad numbers for Intel, AMD, Nvidia and assemblers. Trying to make them up with such low figures from Steam is wishful thinking.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Not a good trend, but still a huge market:

Gartner said:
Grand Total....................315,967,516 Shipments

I wouldn't be surprised if the PC market does bottom out soon and then eventually start rising (as the world economy grows). PCs and Laptops are still very important for productivity, content production and engineering applications. Ultra-mobile will dominate consumer purchases and hence continue to grow for some time - one doesn't need a PC anymore for email, chat, viewing photos or watching videos. As smartphones/tablets get cheaper and better, they will become more and more prevalent in China and India - two, obviously, huge markets.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Well steam relates to the size of the (gaming active portion) net installed user base.

That's hugely different from net sales. Is anyone tracking if we're losing net computers or are just experiencing much longer refresh cycles?

Probably losing some net installed computers because houses with multiple people only really need/want one desk/laptop with a bunch of smaller things to buzz around it.
(some may well not have anything.).