PC P&C

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Of course you know the Silencer has done very well in recent reviews...

Just make sure when you do buy...no natter what you buy that you are happy with your purchase!!

Peace!!

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Your 80mm fans probably consume 2-4W ea. so feel free to use you adapters, or a fan controller, instead of all of the psu molex connectors.

Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Just buy a Corsair 520 or 620 depending on your precieved needs. :)
:thumbsup:

If you think you will need more power for future SLI/Crossfire power-hungry cards, and want to spend the extra money trying to future-proof your rig, then by all means go with a 700W+ psu.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
BTW, does the Enermax Infinity have a 24 pin connector or a 20+4 pin connector? My current board has 20 pin, and I'm not enthused about using an adapter, even though I'm sure they work well enough. (to me, it's just another connection in the line...to go bad, or add extra resistance)

John

Oct 9, 1999
From a quick search the answer is no. :(

The ATX cable isn?t the usual 20+4 pin type as Enermax have decided that if you don?t have a motherboard capable of supporting a 24 pin plug then you won?t buy this PSU.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
OK, that's what I suspected from reading. I've seen a couple of reviews that listed it both ways...thus my question.
Am I correct in my thoughts that using a 24-20 pin adapter presents potential problems that would best be avoided?

John

Oct 9, 1999
It will add some resistance, but I doubt it will be enough to have adverse effects. Maybe you could contact Enermax support to see if they could put a 20+4-pin ATX on there for you. :)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well, truthfully, I doubt that they'd actually modify a PSU just for "little-ol'-me" ;), but I asked anyway...I figure the worst they can tell me is "HELL NO!", and I provide them with a round of belly-laughs...but...ya never know... :D

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I just bought the Liberty 720W, and ya only 24 pin connector. Using an adapter, not really a big issues cause my next board will have a 24pin connector. So far probably the best PSU i've owned. Very quiet stable rails. And pretty much lives up to everything you've seen in the reviews. I didn't have an issue with cable length in my rig.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Placed an order today for the Corsair HX 620. Should have it before the weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Fayd
jediyoda, you make copious use of exclamation points. please stop.

Go deal with apoppin for a while and then come back here and see if you can complain! :p

:D:shocked::confused::evil::Disgust;:frown::laugh:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: John
It will add some resistance, but I doubt it will be enough to have adverse effects. Maybe you could contact Enermax support to see if they could put a 20+4-pin ATX on there for you. :)

Here's the response from Enermax:

"The reason why our Infiniti Series PSU does not have the 20+4 design is because it's no recommended to be use on a 20P motherboard. The 20P motherboard might not have enough power to start up the power supply.

Sorry but we can't modified the Infiniti to a 20+4 ATX connection. "

While I didn't expect that line of reasoning, (remember, I know NUTHIN...and can prove it) it's still the end response I expected.

The Corsair 620 is due here tomorrow, and I doubt I'll even begin to stress that one out, but there's just something about that Infiniti that I liked...and it reviews well too..:p

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
ATX boards, as opposed to ATX12V boards, have less of a load on the +12V. Hence the "12V" in "ATX12V."

ATX boards tennd to power the CPU with the +5V rail and do not have PCI-e slots that use video cards that regulate GPU power from the +12V.

Some power supplies expect a certain minimum load on the +12V in order to turn on. This is done to protect the power supply.

Most power supplies are not independently regulated, they use group regulation, and will "cross load" when the load on one rail is significantly greater than another rail. For example: An ATX12V PSU on an old school ATX board will have most of it's load on the +5V, so the cross load will cause the +5V to drop and the +12V to spike, potentially out of spec.

One of the best examples of this is people using ATX12V power supplies on Asus A7N8X motherboards:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=924977

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
/me grumbles and scratches his head when Jonny speaks Chinese...(or "geek-speak" which is the same to me) :p

HOPEFULLY, the Corsair 620HX will "play nicely" with my current ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe for a year or so...I'm not (financially) ready to do a major upgrade...yet. (I don't get all those great paychecks from companies for giving their products "cupcake" reviews) ;) (refers to a thread on Jonny's forums)

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Your P4P800-E is an ATX12V board. The CPU is powered by a 4-pin +12V connector.

It just doesn't have 24-pins because the board itself doesn't need much power. No PCI-e, no HD audio, etc.

You should have no problems.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I have the Enermax Infiinity 720w, and using it on my MSI neo 2 Platinum board which is a 20pin Nforce 3 board. Obviously using a 24 to 20 pin adapter, so far its running good and quiet. I have noticed this issue with a UPS tho.

From your review on the Unit Jonny

"Supposedly the APFC circuitry of this power supply also causes some problems with simulated sine wave UPS's. The manual states that you should only use a true sine wave UPS. Those can be expensive! So I bypassed my test equipment on the AC input side of my bench and tested this PSU plugged directly into an Ultra 1500VA simulated sine wave, line-interactive UPS. I tested at both standby and full load conditions and repeatedly unplugged the UPS from the wall and I not once experienced any problems with the PSU. I'm sure Enermax isn't trying to scare people for no reason, but as I write this I can't imagine why they would be so adamant about suggesting true sine UPS's with Enermax APFC power supplies."

I have this UPS APC Battery Back-Up (BX1200-CN) 780watts

And from a Cold boot it causes the overload protection to go off, I have to reset the UPS then power on PC and it works fine. So a minor annoyance, I don't turn off the PC all the time not to much of a big deal. And this PSU is very quiet and well built and super stable so well worth the minor quirk with the UPS.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I ordered the Corsair 620HX PSU on Monday afternoon, and the "Big Brown Truck" delivered it at 11 a.m this morning.
Looks like Chief Value is maintaining Newegg's tradition of excellent service.

Spent about 2 hours re-routing wiring to clean things up a little bit, but with my case, it still looks like a jumbled mess.:roll: MUCH better than it was though!

This thing (surprisingly) isn't any quieter than my "Ass-Fire" was though...BUT, so far, the power looks MUCH better. DMM testing shows 12.3v at a molex connector...that's a HUGE improvement over the Aspire...which ran 11.40-11.45 at it's best.

I even have cables and connectors left! A LOT of them!...Of course, my current set-up doesn't need PCI-E cables, and only 1 SATA drive, but I even have 1 "peripheral" cable left unused by changing how the case fans were run. Overall, this seems to be a GREAT PSU.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What a difference! I ran 2 instances of ORTHOS, and one of rthdribl, and the 12v rail barely budged. At the worst, it ran at 12.25v. I only ran this way for about 10 minutes, instead of a long test, but I'm still quite happy with the performance so far.
I have to fire up a game or 2 to see how that goes. Hopefully, the more stable power will help with some performance issues I was having with the X850XT-PE card...