PC P&C

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Any idea when this happened? How has it affected the quality of the PC P&C power supplies?

I'm getting ready to upgrade the PS in my box, and was going to go with one of the PC P&C units, but I'm not so sure now. The OCZ PS haven't had the best reliability ratings over the years.

Any input?

Thanks.

Edit...Carlsbad, California, USA, May 25th, 2007

PC Power & Cooling has today announced it will join the OCZ Technology Group, effective immediately.

Still interested in finding out if this is going to affect the quality of their products.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It will not affect the quality of there PSU`s one bit!!

They are still a seperate company called PC Power & Cooling!! They are a subsidiary of OCZ!!

The issue is not what impact it will have on PC Power & Cooling as much as what impact will PC Power & Cooling have on OCZ PSU`s!!

I was reading in Maximum PC today that one of the benefits of hooking up with OCZ is that PC Power & Cooling will be able to lower prices due to now having OCZ`s outlets and markets power to sell their PSU`s!!

Thats a good thing for PC Power & Cooling!!

Peace!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well, I guess only time will tell whether OCZ corporate profit demands change PCP&C or not, but hopefully, their products will continue to be good. I have a question...JediYoda, your sig says:
"I have no issues with the noise PC Power & Cooling supposedly makes...
Has anybody seen my hearing aid??? "

Are they that loud? My box is already loud with the POS Aspire PS the XT850PE video card, and several case fans. I'm hoping to quiet it down a bit with the new PS.( or at least NOT add to the noise)

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

From what I've read lately PCP&C is in the process of loosing a bit of their former luster. Personally, I'd realy like to see some innovation from them, regardless of who owns the company.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

From what I've read lately PCP&C is in the process of loosing a bit of their former luster. Personally, I'd realy like to see some innovation from them, regardless of who owns the company.

Depends on who you are reading.
JonnyGURU excellent site!!
Also depends on the reviewer and what personnal biases are allowed to get in the way of just the facts!
Also depends on what you would call former luster.
Also depends on who you talk too!
Personally there are at present alot of good PSu`s on the market!
I would not say they have lost any of there luster so much as the market is starting to catch up with them as well as other top brands such as Zippy and others!

I would say one of the positive things about the OCZ connection is that the prices will be coming down on PC Power & Cooling units!!
Thast`s what I hear from my friend as well as i have read this in several magazines the most recent maximum PC!!

The same thing happenned in the heatsink market to several top heatsink manufacturers...the market caught up with them!

Personally I will continue to use PC Power & Cooling PSU`s on all my riggs!!

Peace!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Well, I guess only time will tell whether OCZ corporate profit demands change PCP&C or not, but hopefully, their products will continue to be good. I have a question...JediYoda, your sig says:
"I have no issues with the noise PC Power & Cooling supposedly makes...
Has anybody seen my hearing aid??? "

Are they that loud? My box is already loud with the POS Aspire PS the XT850PE video card, and several case fans. I'm hoping to quiet it down a bit with the new PS.( or at least NOT add to the noise)

personally i have heard other PSU`s and i did not find my PC Power & Cooling any louder than other PSU`s.

yet there are PSU`s that cater to the quiet crowd...
Personally I will pick quality and workmanship and reliability over a quiet PSU!!

Yet there are many good quiet PSU`s on the market today....
There are also a few highend PSU`s that are also what some would consider noisy....

Good Luck with whatever you choose!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
personally i have heard other PSU`s and i did not find my PC Power & Copoling any louder than other PSU`s.

yet there are PSU`s that cater to the quiet crowd...
Personally I will pick quality and workmanship and reliability over a quiet PSU!!

Yet there are many good quiet PSU`s on the market today....
There are also a few highend PSU`s that are also what some would consider noisy....

Good Luck with whatever you choose!!

I agree that quality and reliability are more important than quiet, but a nice mix of the 3 would be nice...

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

Also depends on the reviewer and what personnal biases are allowed to get in the way of just the facts!
I would not say they have lost any of there luster so much as the market is starting to catch up with them as well as other top brands such as Zippy and others!

I would say one of the positive things about the OCZ connection is that the prices will be coming down on PC Power & Cooling units!!
Thast`s what I hear from my friend as well as i have read this in several magazines the most recent maximum PC!!

The same thing happenned in the heatsink market to several top heatsink manufacturers...the market caught up with them!

Peace!!

It also depends on how intent one is on ignoring things contrary to ones deeply held beliefs. If there had been any way I could have justified a PCP&C unit, I would have bought one. As it is, the company seems more concerned with resting on past laurels and pretending that a lack of innovation is really in fact innovation.

Use what you want dude, no one here has challenged that right. But your choice doesn't negate the real/perceived notion that PCP&C has been caught up with, and in some cases surpassed by the competition.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Peace!!

It also depends on how intent one is on ignoring things contrary to ones deeply held beliefs. If there had been any way I could have justified a PCP&C unit, I would have bought one. As it is, the company seems more concerned with resting on past laurels and pretending that a lack of innovation is really in fact innovation.

Use what you want dude, no one here has challenged that right. But your choice doesn't negate the real/perceived notion that PCP&C has been caught up with, and in some cases surpassed by the competition.

I think I stated the market has started to catch up but to be more precise the market has caught up with them.
I really don`t think it`s a matter of resting on there laurels as much as is a matter of there just is not a whole lot to do technically to get better especially when the only isue they really need to deal with is the sound isasue yet because they cater to the server crowd and the missuion critical crowd they really as a company see no need to change.
You would be very suprised to understand that people like us were not who PC Power & Cooling originally set out to attract!
We as enthusiaist have been sort of an after thought....

You are also entitled to your opinion....

One last thing..people are always complaining about the price of a PC Power & Cooling Unit yet you just justified PC Power & Coolings pricee.
In order to innovate you must past the cost of research & developement on to the customer must you not??

Peace!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I don't have issues with the cost of their units as long as the quality justifies it.

I firmly believe that in MOST cases, you get what you pay for.

Quality components and manufacturing simply cost more than cheap garbage...however, with the recent trend to build everything in China, all too often, we consumers are left with little-to-no alternatives but to buy products that are lower in quality than we might actually want.

I remember the pics that circulated a while back of a Chinese power supply factory...with dirt floors and poor working conditions...but they seem to have "disappeared" and I realize they probably don't accurately portray conditions in ALL Chinese plants.

I simply want a quality power supply that is reliable, relatively quiet, and will work for my current AGP set-up as well as allow me to upgrade in the future. Using the PSU calculator on PCP&C's site, I need something over 600 watts, (my current power demand maxes at over 450 IF everything is running at the same time. (unlikely) The existing Aspire 500 watt PSU is handling things, but has too much fluxuation to suit me, and of course, they're not the most reliable units on the market.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
PCP&C's Silencer series is very good and provided by Seasonic. I honestly feel that the Seasonic M-12 series or the most excellent Seasonic built Corsair PSUs are viable alternatives. All these units are populated with better Nipponese capacitors.

The PCP&C Turbo series are built by Win-Tact(sp) and are populated with decent mid-range caps called Teapo. Cheaper PSUs like Enhance use these inexpensive capacitors.
Mission critical!!! And using Teapo capacitors!!! Heresy I say!!

(OT, note: Zippy/Emacs are still built and tested in Taiwan and are populated with Nipponese capacitors. They have just brought out a quiet series at <30dBA and prolly 80+ certable.)

We use Zippy, Enhance and Ultra PSUs here.

To the OP. Boomer...Boomer? And you want quiet? :D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So GY, you're telling me these are "re-branded" PSU's? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised nowadays...

and yeah, a bit of quiet would be nice. As it is, sitting next to my box is about like sitting next to an idling 747...especially when the fan on the video card kicks in...that dammed thing sounds like a gear-driven blower...BUT, I'm kind of adverse to changing to an aftermarket cooler and voiding the warranty.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I think I stated the market has started to catch up but to be more precise the market has caught up with them.

And I added that they'd been surpassed. The days were people made their PSU decisions based on how heavy the unit is a rapidly coming to a close.

I really don`t think it`s a matter of resting on there laurels

I do, and this is my considered opinion. Exactly what has PCP&C brought to the table that could be considered as "new" over the past few years? Even their newly released units are still based on the same technology. Surely you don't think that there's no room for advancing designs when it comes to PSU's.

as much as is a matter of there just is not a whole lot to do technically to get better

This is a strange posture to take when it comes to computers. My RS-850 has 3 transformers, 6x12v rails@18a per and no on/off switch. It can be argued that these things aren't "needed", but their inclusion indicates that at least some manufacturers ARE looking for ways to further the technology.

especially when the only isue they really need to deal with is the sound isasue yet because they cater to the server crowd and the missuion critical crowd they really as a company see no need to change.

Another fairly limited perspective, this time when it comes to retail. PCP&C, I can assure you, is perfectly satisfied in being able to sell to the aftermarket enthusiast crowd. They just need to walk to walk.

You would be very suprised to understand that people like us were not who PC Power & Cooling originally set out to attract!

I'm staring at my 50th year on this planet, yoda. Not much actually surprises my anymore. ;) Intel had the same idea, and mission statement, when they started out. They've since changed their tune. If PCP&C doesn't adapt to changing markets they'll be an afterthought in the PSU market.

Of course I am. This isn't in question.

One last thing..people are always complaining about the price of a PC Power & Cooling Unit yet you just justified PC Power & Coolings pricee.

That's easy, if I get your meaning. Personally, I don't see the logic in decking a rig out with $3000 worth of FRU's and fronting it with a crap PSU. I ended up with a PSU that should keep me going through at least the next two upgrade cycles without breaking a sweat. The fact that my wants/needs weren't met by a PCP&P unit is not a good thing for the company, regardless.

In order to innovate you must past the cost of research & developement on to the customer must you not??

Absolutely, and that expense is justified, to me at least, by having a rock-stable rig and the sense of safety and well-being I get from knowing that I bought well-built sh1t.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So, in the ~$200. range, is there anything BETTER than the Silencer 750? I see the SeaSonic M12 700W for about the same price...and Seasonic PSU's have pretty good reviews on the intarweb.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

And I added that they'd been surpassed. The days were people made their PSU decisions based on how heavy the unit is a rapidly coming to a close.

I really don`t think it`s a matter of resting on there laurels

I do, and this is my considered opinion. Exactly what has PCP&C brought to the table that could be considered as "new" over the past few years? Even their newly released units are still based on the same technology. Surely you don't think that there's no room for advancing designs when it comes to PSU's.

as much as is a matter of there just is not a whole lot to do technically to get better

This is a strange posture to take when it comes to computers. My RS-850 has 3 transformers, 6x12v rails@18a per and no on/off switch. It can be argued that these things aren't "needed", but their inclusion indicates that at least some manufacturers ARE looking for ways to further the technology.

especially when the only isue they really need to deal with is the sound isasue yet because they cater to the server crowd and the missuion critical crowd they really as a company see no need to change.

Another fairly limited perspective, this time when it comes to retail. PCP&C, I can assure you, is perfectly satisfied in being able to sell to the aftermarket enthusiast crowd. They just need to walk to walk.

I'm staring at my 50th year on this planet, yoda. Not much actually surprises my anymore. ;) Intel had the same idea, and mission statement, when they started out. They've since changed their tune. If PCP&C doesn't adapt to changing markets they'll be an afterthought in the PSU market.

Of course I am. This isn't in question.

That's easy, if I get your meaning. Personally, I don't see the logic in decking a rig out with $3000 worth of FRU's and fronting it with a crap PSU. I ended up with a PSU that should keep me going through at least the next two upgrade cycles without breaking a sweat. The fact that my wants/needs weren't met by a PCP&P unit is not a good thing for the company, regardless.

Absolutely, and that expense is justified, to me at least, by having a rock-stable rig and the sense of safety and well-being I get from knowing that I bought well-built sh1t.

So in a nutshell you are claiming that my PC Power & Cooling PSU`s are NOT well built??
That is an interesting perspective.....tantamount to the FUD PC Power & Cooling has in there Myth`s section...

Peace!!

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I don't think you can go wrong with a Silencer, Boomer. You probably won't feel punked if you buy one. I've never bought a branded Seasonic, but the knowledgeable people here have spoken well of them for as long as I've posted on AT. As far as my personal choice the CM RS-850 (80 plus version) was simply superior to the Silencer in almost every way.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
So GY, you're telling me these are "re-branded" PSU's? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised nowadays...

and yeah, a bit of quiet would be nice. As it is, sitting next to my box is about like sitting next to an idling 747...especially when the fan on the video card kicks in...that dammed thing sounds like a gear-driven blower...BUT, I'm kind of adverse to changing to an aftermarket cooler and voiding the warranty.

Seasonic is contracted out to make the Silencer series acording to PC Power & Cooling specifications!

Just like Seasonic also manufactures the Corsair brand to Carsairs specs and they also manufacture for Antec according to Antec specs....are all these PSU`s rebadged..Ummm

Also the use of Teapo caps in PC Power & Cooling PSU`s have never been an issue as far as there quality and longevity in PC Power & Cooling PSU`s!!

Where teapo caps have had issues is when used in Motherboards and conditions where there has not been adeqaute cooling!!

Even the good people at badcaps.com have stated that the teapo caps used in PC Power & Cooling PSU`s are not an issue!!

We hear alot about Zippy PSU`s, yet I have yet to see a reveiw of one stating the are rated 80+ certifiable(?);
as to what imporatance that holds is beyond me in the scheme of things ??
even JonnyGURU on his site has stated that just because a PSU is 80+ certifiable that has nothing to do with the quality or the longevity of the PSU.

It is very possible to have a PSU that is 80+ certifiable and not be well built as in longevity.
But on the same note its very possible to have a 80+ certified PSU that will stand the test of time!!

If you want FUD it`s interesting how supposedly Zippy and other brands including PC Power & Cooling have come out with supposedly quiter PSU`s. If you believe all the hype...

In this house we use PC Power & Cooling!!
Peace!!

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
So in a nutshell you are claiming that my PC Power & Cooling PSU`s are NOT well built??
That is an interesting perspective.....tantamount to the FUD PC Power & Cooling has in there Myth`s section...

Point out precisely where I said any such thing, yoda. And while you're on THAT fool's errand, you might want to think about why you always seem on the verge of loosing it, BIG time, even in polite exchanges.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Point out precisely where I said any such thing, yoda. And while you're on THAT fool's errand, you might want to think about why you always seem on the verge of loosing it, BIG time, even in polite exchanges.
There pointd out-- The fact that my wants/needs weren't met by a PCP&P unit is not a good thing for the company, regardless.
In my exact words no--but pretty darn close!!
No company meets the wants and needs of everybody on this planet!
PC Power & Cooling has far exceeded my wants and needs!!

the verge of losing it hardly.
people usually say things like that when th heat is getting to hot in the kitchen...
But what you are saying is true of all PSU`s.....
It`s very difficult to improve on what shall we say doesn`t need improving from the stand point of a good solid well built product that has stood the test of time.

You point to your rs850 as a prime example of ways to further technology. In fact you say ypour rs 850 has 6x12v rails@18a per...
yet PC Power & Cooling also went that direction for a while using multiple rails then they backed off because quite frankly multiple rails are not necessary.
In fact I could be mistaken but PC Power & Cooling was one of the first companies to offer quad multiple rails.

So technology goes back and forth......to some what is an advancement to others is not an advancement.

A lot of people are using mult rail PSU`s....alot of people are using single rail who right whose wrong?
In the end all that matters is that people are happy with what they have purchased!

The discussion was nice.
All is good!!

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Higher efficiency means less waste heat to get rid of, this means fan/s driving lower cfm are needed for cooling, lower cfm means less/lower dBA...Simple. :D

I personally would opt for build quality over noise, but not weed-eater levels of dBA. An 80mm fan driving 55cfm is a noise maker. That is why the Zippy server units here were modded for external 92x38mm fans driving 57cfm@12V@35dBA. But they rarely see 12V because at 50% capacity the thermal controll only provides a very quiet running 8V of motive force.

The new quiet Zippys, called oddly enough..Serene. We should all hold that word dear. ;)
http://www.zippy.com.tw/backen...UNCTION%20SHEET/DM.pdf
Units have been promised for review but none have arrived as of yet to several review sites.

Boomer,
At $200 you have alot of options and reading reviews and honestly considing the rigs power needs is the thing to do before pulling the trigger.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
There pointd out-- The fact that my wants/needs weren't met by a PCP&P unit is not a good thing for the company, regardless.

Nope, you're wrong, and willfully so. I said PCP&C didn't meet my requirements. Nothing more.

In my exact words no--but pretty darn close!!

Sorry dude, that just doesn't wash. You can't dream your way into a statement that was never made.

No company meets the wants and needs of everybody on this planet!

Another truism offered as a revelation.

PC Power & Cooling has far exceeded my wants and needs!!

And it's easy to see why this is so. Have you bothered to consider anything else lately?

the verge of losing it hardly.
people usually say things like that when th heat is getting to hot in the kitchen...

Then why have you resorted to putting words in mouth, or behaving as if I slapped Jesus by simply stating my less than sterling opinon of a company? I'm not going to bother delving further into your attitude and excesses, out of respect for Yankee, but I will say this, you're the one who's having problems with the "heat", and you've been this way for as long as you've posted here.

But what you are saying is true of all PSU`s.....

Did I ever imply otherwise?

It`s very difficult to improve on what shall we say doesn`t need improving from the stand point of a good solid well built product that has stood the test of time.

Older, stable and otherwise functional technology is phased-out all the time, and sometimes it's even replaced by things that are indeed better. Your argument doesn't stand to reason.

yet PC Power & Cooling also went that direction for a while using multiple rails then they backed off because quite frankly multiple rails are not necessary.

This is a very old argument, and one that you and I have had before, remember? Suffice it to say PCP&C engineers don't make industry-wide design decisions, nor should they.

In fact I could be mistaken but PC Power & Cooling was one of the first companies to offer quad multiple rails.

Yet no more, right?

So technology goes back and forth......to some what is an advancement to others is not an advancement.

No, it doesn't. Technologies that look good on paper but don't translate into real world/consumer behefits fall by the wayside all the time. However, technology as an approach to problems always moves forward.

A lot of people are using mult rail PSU`s....alot of people are using single rail who right whose wrong?

Aren't you tilting at windmills again? This discussion wasn't about 12v rails any more than it was about multiple transformers. I found multi-rail technology, as implemented by CM, worthy of a try, THIS time. All other things remaining equal, I would have gladly ponied up for a PCP&C unit, if it had what I see as contemporary features. Surely you can see this as a problem for them.

In the end all that matters is that people are happy with what they have purchased!

And still another truism, yoda? :) You're like a bumper sticker sometimes, dude!

The discussion was nice.
All is good!!

Rrrright!!! :laugh:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
so whats your point?

Surely not that your opinion is the only opinion?
Sounds like other people I have sen post here!

We are all entitled to out opinions!

You have disproved nothing that I have stated...other than PC Power & Cooling was not the PSU of choice for you....

There are many many satisfied PC Power & Cooling comstomers who kep coming back...

I actually fail to see your point mainly because for somebody so against or shall we say who has such high expectations of the good people at PC Power & Cooling I am suprised any other PSU even meets your standards!

I am happy with PC Power & Cooling as are others!

So once again in your own words convince me my choice of PSU is wrong using statistics that are irrefutable....

You can`t!!
Just like I cannot convince you otherwise...

Yet you even disagree that as long as a person is happy with whatever brand PSU they purchase thats all that matter!!!
It`s there purchase whether it be a generic PSU for fre with rebate or a 300 dollar PSU thats really is none of our buisness.

We can try to steer them if they ask towards..Corsair or even Antec or seasonic or Zippy or PC Power & Cooling or a dozen othr brands that will run a PSU...so what again is wrong with somebody being happy with there purchase??

Peace!!