PC Gaming Doom & Gloom Thread

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
My experience with the Lost Planet demo was a joke. They assume you're going to be playing with a controller based on the game menus and the stupid messaage telling me to press "B". It took a little while to realise I had to right-click instead to go back to the main menu. The game itself was pathetic, the sound screwed up after 2 minutes then it went to a black screen and finally a BSOD. It wasn't even the DX10 version on Vista. That sh1t got uninstalled immediately. CAPCOM can fvck off with their pathetic conversions, I'd rather play Tetris or punch myself in the nuts.

Capcom has always had extremely poor PC ports... I don't know why you'd expect this one to be different ;). Remember Chaos Legion?

EDIT: Oh and by the way, my Lost Planet has never crashed on my PC (using DX10 version on Vista Ult with 8800GTX with latest drivers). Although I do get the 'B' notification and such, I just eventually learned the commands. Also, what self-righteous FPS gamer needs to be noob'd and told which buttons to press to pick up an item.

Although it seems World of Warcraft has messed up my FPS playing. I can't use WASD anymore, because WoW uses A and D to turn, but I prefer A and D for strafing. WoW uses Q and E for strafing, so I naturally kept pressing those two buttons to strafe, and I kept trying to punch people and pick up things :laugh:. So I changed my layout to WQSE (replacing items respectively).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
why has MS *lost* 5 billion dollars on the xbox platform so far?

xbox needs a serious rethink

... you should read the entire thread instead of focusing on a couple of MINOR points ;)

'that thread' covers every single point this thread will plus it raises at least a dozen issues besides it.

i don't need to defend anything ... here ...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=31&threadid=2033611&enterthread=y

it says it *all* ... PS3 is absolutely a turkey that is *doomed* ... it is a FLOP ... no one wants to make any "exclusives" for them .. and if sony doesn't 'do something' about it - now - there is no PS4 ....

xbox360 is bleeding even MS ... it is a huge loser for them ...
--but ... strangely ... the Wii - true to it's console roots - is a runaway success

... and the PC gaming IS making a big comeback ...

the Xbox360 is gonna look like an antique compared to the PG gfx ... next year

i KNOW the "reason" to have a console - the "shared experience" - easier than a LAN party ...
-- so all your drunken buddies can come over and play Halo3 together ... then go out and shoot some cans afterward :p
:laugh:

all in that thread i linked ... supported with strong evidence and the latest news

aloha

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Nightmare225
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: apoppin

and the PC gaming IS making a big comeback
With games like Dragon Age, Crysis, and the utter dominance of PCs in the lucrative MMO market, I would say you are correct and I am very glad the the PC has a bright future (for I am a PC gamer):thumbsup:

You forgot Saturday's announcement... Starcraft 2, which has the potential to outsell and be more famous than even Halo 3. :D

imagine how much it will sell in korea :Q

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
It is wishful thinking at this point to expect some surge in PC Gaming. I would love to see it happen but this is one bet I definitely wouldn't take.
Actually, the gaming industry is doing very well, revenues are up, and projected to continue increasing, that includes PC gaming :thumbsup:

Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
My experience with the Lost Planet demo was a joke.
I am not much of a fan of CAPCOM games in general, and Lost Planet didn't appeal to me at all. I played the demo on 360, that was enough to keep me from even being interested in it as a full game, or for the PC now.

In response to the comment about the wireless 360 controller being expensive: Never pay retail laddy!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
The mouse is superior, the keyboard is not. Keyboard's only true advantage is its vast amount of keys (buttons), but that doesn't give your the precision of an analog stick.

I think this might be good in the long run as it might get something that fuses the mouse with something better than just the keyboard.

how do you use a mouse and xbox controller at the same time?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: manowar821
There aren't any games that REQUIRE you to use a console type controller, period.

I bought a console controller for my PC, (not a 360 type, just a 3rd party usb) because it's easier to play racing games with it while I save for my steering wheel.

That being said, there is no reason to be upset, no-one is forcing you to play with any sort of input device.

try playing RE4 with a KB ... no mouse
:Q

sucks

i use a controller

they did patch in a mouse for the European version

Well that's why the option should be there! I'm just saying, no-one is forcing anyone.
well RE-4 DID require a controller ... that's all i am saying ... reminds me of that otherwise excellent Eidos game "Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver" .... but i don't remember a controller option there ... this is '07 we should have ALL the options for PC

oh ... and i updated "my" thread in Video ...
The Playstation 2 continues to conquer all, with 194,000 sold, but April was not kind to big brother Playstation 3. Sony's newest console moved only 82,000, nearly a 50,000 drop from March's 130,000.

Elsewhere, Microsoft may have doubled PS3 at 174,000, but experienced a dip from March's 199,000. In fact, Nintendo was the only company to experience an increase, with 360,000 units in April, compared to March's 259,000.

and

As 1up points out, if April was tough, May looks bleaker. Karraker wouldn't speculate on sales, but outside of MLB 07: The Show's release at the end of April, there are no first-party releases coming to PS3 in May - in fact there are only two May PS3 games: Surf's Up and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, both of which are multi-platform releases.

Others have been keen to point the blame squarely at Sony.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
What I would worry about more is sloppy coding... Having multiple cores will allow devs to be careless in their programming, in my opinion. R6:Vegas is a good example. It brings a 8800 GTX to it's knees and frankty, it looks like ass at the same time. No AA (at least not when it was released). So, the controller is the LEAST of my worries... Coding is my primary concern. But if you think about it, it really isn't any different than now, or 5 years ago. There is sh!tty devs and there are mediocre devs and there are good devs. Take the good and leave the rest on the shelfs... I have lost enough money.

If it makes you feel better the opposite is more likely. Programmers could get away with "sloppy coding" easier when they knew sequential CPU speeds would double in 18 months or so. With multiple cores they have to actually do some fairly complicated design work to create algorithms and programs that will get any performance benefits from multi-core hardware. With the added complexity of testing and programming multi-threaded software, developers can't afford to be careless.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Being compatible with the 360 controller just means adding USB gamepad control options. This doesn't mean that keyboard and mouse will disappear. Bit of an overreaction.

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Anyone remember that "video card box" that was shown off at e3? It essentially allowed you to keep a video card outside of your laptop and then hook it up to the vga/usb/i forget port or some such? I imagine if that becomes improved upon and offered at a reasonable price, laptop owners might start gaming on what they have instead of investing in consoles. Could have a small effect. Just a thought.

RedShirt

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
I LOVE the fact the Xbox 360 controller must be supported. You don't have to use it, but it's great for games that play best with a gamepad.

I really dislike having to plug in a "insert brand name and model" gamepad and configure every little control, realize that I mis configured (as I haven't even played the game yet and I was trying to set up the controller), re-configured, etc etc.

Additionally you can use a Wireless Xbox 360 controller. This is really great for a gaming/htpc computer. Sit back and play your games in your living room on your HDTV.

If you take a game like Tomb Raider Legends. It plays VERY well with a pad. I have it for my 360 and loved it. Now, Tomb Raider Anniversary is coming out, and not being released on Next Gen systems. I can simply buy it for my PC, install it, set my resolution and graphics settings and play with my 360 controller.

Edit: You may call me a lazy gamer for my comments, the reason I like consoles is because you insert the game, and you begin playing.... Anything that can make PC gaming closer to this is OK in my book (we just gotta get rid of the 20 minute installations, 10 minutes of patch downloadings, and 20 minutes of patching!) :)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It is wishful thinking at this point to expect some surge in PC Gaming. I would love to see it happen but this is one bet I definitely wouldn't take.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
There aren't any games that REQUIRE you to use a console type controller, period.

I bought a console controller for my PC, (not a 360 type, just a 3rd party usb) because it's easier to play racing games with it while I save for my steering wheel.

That being said, there is no reason to be upset, no-one is forcing you to play with any sort of input device.

try playing RE4 with a KB ... no mouse
:Q

sucks

i use a controller

they did patch in a mouse for the European version

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Roguestar
Being compatible with the 360 controller just means adding USB gamepad control options. This doesn't mean that keyboard and mouse will disappear. Bit of an overreaction.

yep

i DID d/led the euro patch for RE4 ... adds shadows ... and mouse support
--the controller can still be used

... now i have a choice

:)

choice is good

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
What I would worry about more is sloppy coding... Having multiple cores will allow devs to be careless in their programming, in my opinion. R6:Vegas is a good example. It brings a 8800 GTX to it's knees and frankty, it looks like ass at the same time. No AA (at least not when it was released). So, the controller is the LEAST of my worries... Coding is my primary concern. But if you think about it, it really isn't any different than now, or 5 years ago. There is sh!tty devs and there are mediocre devs and there are good devs. Take the good and leave the rest on the shelfs... I have lost enough money.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
My experience with the Lost Planet demo was a joke. They assume you're going to be playing with a controller based on the game menus and the stupid messaage telling me to press "B". It took a little while to realise I had to right-click instead to go back to the main menu. The game itself was pathetic, the sound screwed up after 2 minutes then it went to a black screen and finally a BSOD. It wasn't even the DX10 version on Vista. That sh1t got uninstalled immediately. CAPCOM can fvck off with their pathetic conversions, I'd rather play Tetris or punch myself in the nuts.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
1. $266 per 1000. The end-consumer will likely still be paying ~$300. Common knowlege, try not to misinform.
2. The Games for Windows *fully support* 360 controllers. That, to me, means that players have a choice of their preferred control schemes. Your loyalty to keyboard/mouse is not being tested. Calm the heck down.

It comes off as you being a paranoid little kid pissed off that consoles exist and that people may have differing desires. Play your games and lose the elitist attitude.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: VIAN
here is one of the greatest threads to ever grace video and it is still current

Forget John Romero - XBox360 and PS3 ARE *Doomed*

in short PC gaming experiences a renaissance ... the PS3 *dies* ... MS rethinks the xbox and the Wii wins the console war

it is all 'in there' ... i won't defend ANY of my statements here
That PS4 remark in the thread is horsecrap. Its just the PSX II. Just like the PSX version of the PS2.

If a keyboard and mouse was supported on the 360, it would be over for the PC.

Over for the PC in terms of gaming, maybe, but there are people out there (I'm one of them) who use it for more than gaming, things like CAD, simulations (PSPICE), and video editing. Shocking, I know.

Modding games has become huge as well. Consoles don't do that yet. This is what makes Crysis somewhat interesting.

My big issue is with the quality of games, which has gone steadily downhill for some time now (in terms of intelligence/complexity/challenge). In my world, gaming is nearly dead period, console, PC or otherwise. Too much dumb kiddie sh1t being pumped out for a quick buck.

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

and the PC gaming IS making a big comeback
With games like Dragon Age, Crysis, and the utter dominance of PCs in the lucrative MMO market, I would say you are correct and I am very glad the the PC has a bright future (for I am a PC gamer):thumbsup:

You forgot Saturday's announcement... Starcraft 2, which has the potential to outsell and be more famous than even Halo 3. :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MBrown
Originally posted by: Noema
Originally posted by: pontifex

so we're looking at about $826 and we still have to buy a case, monitor, OS, hard drives, motherboard, PSU, sound card, possibly a network card, optical drives, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

thats not "very cheap" to me.

I agree. That's the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

Gaming PCs have always been expensive. The problem is that, for the first time, we have consoles that can play games at resolutions that rival a PC. And those consoles often cost less than a top of the line videocard.

It's hard to justify spending $2500-3000 on a high end gaming box when, say, Lost Planet looks just as good on a $400 X-Box 360.

PC games need not only to look vastly superior to their console conterparts; they need to scale better to hardware.

You don't need to spend $2500-3000 on a Gaming PC. I'm sure you can build one for less. And if you already have a monitor dvd rom etc then all you need to get is just the meat. Most motherboard have built in sound cards (i for one can't tell a difference between a good soundcard and a built in soundcard, and most have network cards in them.

$826 is still a lot for an upgrade.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I agree with skace.

But I am very happy that they are working towards good, native support for the 360 controller. As people have said, it just makes it much more convenient for games like sports, GTA, racing, action RPGs, etc that a lot of people prefer to use the controller with. And there are people who want to use their 360 controller for FPS games like BF2 or Halo (I see lots of posts of people requesting XBCD or ControlMK profiles). KB+M is pretty much a given. It's not hard to do and they won't take it out. MS doing the Games for Windows thing is really good IMO. I don't see anything but good things coming out of it (PC vs. 360 players... hell yeah!). I'm not a fan of having to pay for something like Live, but from what I have played on Live on the Xbox 1, it is a pretty good system. Granted, these console noobs were getting hardons over 4-player, splitscreen Goldeneye in 1996-7 while PC gamers were using QSpy and GLQuake/QW to play 24 player TF games, but I do see that Live is pretty good for connecting gamers. IF in a year or two, Live for Vista got good enough and widely supported, I wouldn't have a problem paying $50/yr to play all kinds of games with 360 players. It is not needed as much thanks to so many servers hosted by people and server browsers, but it might head in that direction.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Noema
Originally posted by: pontifex

so we're looking at about $826 and we still have to buy a case, monitor, OS, hard drives, motherboard, PSU, sound card, possibly a network card, optical drives, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

I agree. That's the biggest hurdle in my opinion.

Gaming PCs have always been expensive. The problem is that, for the first time, we have consoles that can play games at resolutions that rival a PC. And those consoles often cost less than a top of the line videocard.

It's hard to justify spending $2500-3000 on a high end gaming box when, say, Lost Planet looks just as good on a $400 X-Box 360.

PC games need not only to look vastly superior to their console conterparts; they need to scale better to hardware.

You don't need to spend $2500-3000 on a Gaming PC. I'm sure you can build one for less. And if you already have a monitor dvd rom etc then all you need to get is just the meat. Most motherboard have built in sound cards (i for one can't tell a difference between a good soundcard and a built in soundcard, and most have network cards in them.

The only thing I've upgraded over the past 3 years was the video card. Basically it cost me $300 in the exchange, and I'll probably be able to recover at least 60% of the initial cost of this one when I sell it 6-9 months down the road.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
PC's are more capable in terms of power, alternate uses, and future expansion. I see no reason to even have a console anymore.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
With PC gaming now becoming very cheap with the Q6600 quad core CPU expected to hit $266 later this year, and DDR2 ram being cheap and even GPU are relatively cheap ($380 for a 8800gts) PC gaming looks like its going to be on the rise since it seems the consoles have had their shine for a little bit. And plus we have these new games coming out that will be taking advantage of quad core technology such as Alan Wake, Crysis, UT3, Half Life 2 E2, Bioshock. Supreme Commander is quad core as well. I know all of these aren't PC exclusives but I would much rather play them on a PC. I am, and I am sure most of you are very excited about what is coming up, but there is one little problem, actually a HUGE problem IMO. I was watching the Alan Wake tech demo on the quad core CPU and the person that was actually playing the demo was using a xbox 360 controller on a PC. And then I was reading the requirements for a game to be certified as a "Games for Windows" game, and one of them is to be able to fully support the use of the xbox 360 controller...WHAT?!?!?! The reason I build my gaming PC is so I can use my keyboard and mouse, the ultimate gaming pad, and now I am seeing that future PC games are being made to be played using a CONSOLE controller!? If this is the case what is the point of even making a PC game then? You might as well go out and buy a $400 Xbox 360. PC gaming might not be any different than console gaming in the future.

So my question is this. Do you think future PC games are going to be complete crap because they are most likely going to be designed with the 360 controller has the main gaming pad, and the keyboard and mouse as just a secondary option? Or do you think the game developers will understand that us PC gamers still want to use our Keyboard and mouse and design a well made PC game? Or am I just over reacting?

Cliffs:
1. PC gaming looks like it is going to rise up again.
2. But it might suck because we might have to use a 360 controller to play our PC games.
3. Read the second paragraph.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
PC gaming will be less expensive in the future? Sounds good to me :) - Even so, it'll probably still be much more expensive than console gaming, sadly. Where does it say you're required to use a 360 controller? That would be dumb if that were the case, those controllers are pretty expensive.