PC Gaming Doom & Gloom Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer
The only genres that are better on consoles are fighting games, such as Dead or Alive or Tekken, and racing games. Every other genre is far superior on the PC, for varying reasons. Better control, better customization, superior hardware, more hardware options, etc.

Though, the line between console and PC is blurring. The next console generation, several years from now, will see that line blur even more. Someone on these boards said that the only difference will be in the OS you choose to run.

I can't agree with you at all, there are many many games that suck ass on PC but work great for consoles. Platformers, both 3d and 2d, hack and slash games and such are all much better with a controller. I would never want to try playing ICO or Shadow of the Colossus with a keyboard it wouldn't work at all. Same thing for games like mega man and such.

Back onto the main topic, why do people feel the need to choose one side or the other in this? A lot of people are die hard into consoles or PC, I enjoy both a ton and hope neither of them ever die. Like a lot of people on here I can't really stand shooters on consoles, but a lot of games I love for consoles would never work out on a PC without a gamepad. There are a lot of elitists on both sides, console gamers saying PC gaming is dead and likewise PC gamers saying consoles are pathetic and only for kids and such. I think if anyone would consider themself a real gamer they would try to do both, even if hard strapped for cash.

I agree that one day consoles and PC's will be basically the same platform someday, and I can't say I like it. In the past PC and consoles were very different in terms of games, and if the platforms converge theres a good chance a lot of those past genres will disappear.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: MyStupidMouth
Originally posted by: CKent
Originally posted by: Ramma2
However nothing seems to beat being able to pick up a wireless controller, sit on the best piece of furniture in the house and play games on a 42" plasma with 5.1 surround sound.

You can do this on a PC quite easily. Seems like consoles thrive on FUD more than anything else.

sure, keep telling yourself that. I need to get that xbox 360 elite already so i can play some dead rising, gears of war, rainbow six and that guitar hero 2 :)

Sure, keep telling yourself that. I'll keep my PC so I can play some Spore, Crysis, and Alan Wake.
If you are so inclined to believe that consoles don't survive on FUD a good portion of the time, you are wrong. They say consoles are "next-generation" when they bring up things PCs have done for years. Also, on the other side, the "next-gen" consoles don't do things that PCs have done for years (image quality enhancements being one of them. If the 360 has this supposed eDRAM built solely for AA and AF, show me something that uses AA and AF). I know that consoles are a good gaming platform for a lot of people, but until they offer PC gamers something better than what they've already experienced, they have to survive on people who believe a lot of the stuff they say. It just really makes me angry when console developers shower all this "awesome graphics" and "super multicore performance" on people. If your console is soooooo powerful, how come my Pentium D 820/2GB DDR2 800/7950GT runs better than the Oblivion on your console AND looks twice as good? Consoles thrive on people who will believe anything is awesome if you make it seem awesome. Kinda reminds me of video card manufacturers being like "ZOMG 512MB VRAM!!! BUY THIS!!!" but too bad we have it on a 128-bit bus so the bandwidth is limited! Thanks for your money!
EDIT:Edited because it wasn't Dethfrumbelo that said that. :D

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
If they ever get mouse/KB support on consoles (seems like only a matter of time), I'll probably switch over to them too. I still play PC games a lot but mostly titles that are several years old.

That being said, C&C3's release has rekindled my interest in modern PC games. It's the first game I've played in years that I think will hold my attention for a long time.

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Graphically at least, PC hardware has already passed the 360 and PS3. In another year the gap will be very wide. If Crysis ever gets ported to the consoles, it won't look nearly as good as it will on a high-end PC.

Most console games are ported to the PC anyway, so who cares.

Oh well, I'd rather play it on my 360 and save the 1,000 + dollars that I would need to play it on a PC.

Graphics do little for me. I'm not gonna go WOW LOOK AT THAT TEXTURE ON THE GROUND! when I'm being shot at.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

that's how most games seem to be coming out these days, regardless of the platform (minus the wii).. the emphasis has largely been on graphics rather than gameplay.

edited for spelling

That is entirely false. The problem is that nothing "seems" fresh, however on average gameplay these days is in a whole different category compared to games 10 years ago.

I've been playing some old Genesis and SNES games, and over 90% of them are outright horrible compared to today's games. They held my attention for only a few minutes at times.

"Classic" games are mildly entertaining, but once your standards go up, its hard to move backwards. And I'm not talking about graphics.

Its the same reason that I can't stand most classic movies. Their production value is low, and visuals are retarded even if they were top notch at their time.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Consoles have nothing that can compete with the better FPS's, RTS's, MMO's, and simulations on the PC... although I do wish more games came out. Last year there were only like 3 good games that came out the entire year :( (Oblivion, CoH, HL2 ep1)... im probably forgetting some though

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
However nothing seems to beat being able to pick up a wireless controller, sit on the best piece of furniture in the house and play games on a 42" plasma with 5.1 surround sound.
You can do this on a PC quite easily. Seems like consoles thrive on FUD more than anything else.
sure, keep telling yourself that. I need to get that xbox 360 elite already so i can play some dead rising, gears of war, rainbow six and that guitar hero 2 :)
Lol, I used to wonder how those "Hi, I'm a PC. I can only do pie charts" Mac commercials were successful... now I know :)
likewise :)

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
You're never forced to stay on the bleeding edge. My 1.4Ghz Thunderbird lasted me from 2001 to 2006 with just a couple minor RAM and video card upgrades within that time frame. I'm on an AX2 3800+ and a 7900GT now and expect that to last me at least another three or so years before any upgrading at all is required. The reason I play computer games is for superior gameplay over their console counterparts, not graphical superiority or anything. There hasn't been a console game to impress me since Kirby's Dreamland 3 back in the early/mid 90's.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
im getting there as well. I just recently got my PS3 and playing that more...

although some games still keep me on PC. (Company of Heroes)

it seems I'm waiting for something..... dunno what

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
howdy Fern

long time

if you like FC and PK ... you will *love* STALKER
it tied with "Riddick" as my fav FPS - ever
:heart:

i think you can play it on your current rig ... just without the full dynamic lighting

Hey Appopin,

Since I'm stuck with my antique gaming rig I mostly just lurk in video forum these days. :)

I see all the excitement you guys have for Oblivion, STALKER etc, but when I check the gfx card comparison charts my card looks so outdated, the low fps scare me off.

I figure my "vacation" from gaming will allow a stockpile of good games to build up, so when I replace my rig I'll have plenty to enjoy.

This whole situation of Win Vista & AMD/ATI, where things are delayed kinda bugs me too. I was hoping Vista/DX10 would be further along than they are now. Too many negative threads over in OS about Vista, looks like I need to wait b4 switching over.

Worse, the professional programs so many of us use are having problems transitioning to Vista. Quickbooks, which most all clients use, has decided to bite the bullet and forgo any backwards compatibility. This whole situation has exposed their coding "misdeeds" of the past 6 years. It seems their program is a amalgamation of forbiden proceses which compromise the security MS has been trying to implement. Without backward compatibility we can no longer obtain a copy of the clients records, correct them and return them a disk so they can update the system on their own PCs (unless they upgrade as well).

I was also hoping ATI would be further ahead, clearly they're suffering delays. Too bad, I wanna switch the them on the next rig. I need these GPUs to come out and drop in price b4 I buy. I hate paying full retail :)

Transition's a b!tch. Figure I'll use the gaming rig as test system for the office (That way I can write it off as a tax deduction ;) ).

Back to work for me....

Fern

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Regs
I would love to play both PC games and Consoles.

Though adjusting time and money between two or more systems for even a game geek like me is difficult.

If I can spend 3 hours on one game alone each day...how would anybody have a life playing two?

It is easy to play games on both PC and console... just takes much longer for you to complete games versus just playing a console or just a PC.

I first started gaming ever on a Atari then I moved to PC gaming for the FPS', MMO's and RTS'. Then after months of crap releases and seeing how that all the good games come out for both PC and consoles I made the switch back to consoles for the shear fact that I just turn it on and play with no configuration or installation and for much less money.

The only thing for me that PC's got are MMO's and RTS'... but considering how much time a MMO takes I rather not play them anymore because I have little time as it is and RTS' I have always sucked at those games so I could always pass up on those games. I personally do not think consoles are pure FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) because I rather pay alot less and sacrafice graphics to play a game just for the fact that it is a fun game considering it is both on console and PC. I do not make it a point that just because I have to play a game with a keyboard / mouse or a controller will make the game fun or not. If a game is fun then it is going to be fun reguardless of what control scheme it has.

Alot of you say MOD's extent the life of a game which is very true but I remember Half-Life 1 MOD's and there were like hundreds of them and only a select few were worth playing!

I made this thread with the topic "Am I the only One who is Losing Interest in Computer Gaming?!" to get other people's opinion and not for you to bitch and yell at each other on how stupid the guy next to you is...

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004

Great. Sell your PC, buy the 360, everyone wins... you're happy and we're happy since we won't have to read your posts anymore.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
And Ramma, that's exactly my point; consoles aren't actually offering up anything new.
I just want an excellent, fully functional KB/M adapter. Then I will buy a console for console exclusive games.

Unfortunately I think MS would have to change their position and officially allow KB/M use in games. I don't think anything else will work perfectly otherwise because I'm not sure how you can convert the analog movement of a stick that the game is expecting into the 1-to-1 motion a mouse provides. But Sony is planning on offering KB/M support. They have already stated that games like UT3 are going to support KB/M. But really, most of the best console exclusives are better or as good with controllers (or wheels) anyway. Racing games; action games like God of War; platformers like Jak, Ratchet & Clank, Mario(which the PC severely lacks); etc...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Well, I've kinda fallen off the gaming wagon lately. Spend a lot of time working out instead.

Never liked consoles. I guess the kind of games that are good on them don't interest me.

I expect to get back into PC gaming later. I'll prolly start out replaying some old favs like FarCry. Then build a new rig so I can play the newer stuff with good eye candy.

Fern

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Originally posted by: CP5670
If they ever get mouse/KB support on consoles (seems like only a matter of time), I'll probably switch over to them too. I still play PC games a lot but mostly titles that are several years old.

That being said, C&C3's release has rekindled my interest in modern PC games. It's the first game I've played in years that I think will hold my attention for a long time.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/...mouse-adapter-available-now-223087.php

mouse/KB adapters have been out for a while now... just fyi

Plus I really like the online play of PCs. I don't want to pay $10-$15/mo for something that's free on PCs. Sure Live works better in general, but I really shouldn't have to pay for something like that.

It does suck to pay, but 12+1 month live cards can be had for 40$ shipped now, bringing it down to $3.08 per month. Not bad!

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Thraxen
Nothing quite like being called a nerd with derogatory intent on a PC tech forum. I never claimed it was a mainstream solution, as you would know if you did nerdy things like... oh I dunno, read posts before spewing your idiocy in them?

Hmmm....

I just told you why they survive. It's not FUD nor idiocy... at least not on my part.

It's not mainstream because FUD is mainstream. Look at Geeksquad, they charge 3 digits to install ram ffs. I've had 5.1 sound for years on my PC. I've used wireless kb/mice as well, though I currently have a wired setup, and the gamepad I use for some games is wireless. And I've outputted to a standard TV (which is just a monitor with a scan converter) as well as having a tuner card in my PC. None of that requires anything more than hooking up cables, but without knowing that you sure were quick to assume it wasn't possible. The only caveat is that HD i/o requires specialized hardware for now, as far as I know. Still, installing one is little different from installing ram and costs less than a console. I expect video cards to include HD support soon if they're not already (I haven't been following the industry).

PS - "Loelz but da komp00tar (which is only capable of pie charts) iz huge!1!!1" My HTPC is the size of a shoebox, try again :)

PPS - Funny how anyone who knows less than you is stupid and anyone who knows more is a nerd, eh?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Originally posted by: CP5670

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/...mouse-adapter-available-now-223087.php

mouse/KB adapters have been out for a while now... just fyi

Plus I really like the online play of PCs. I don't want to pay $10-$15/mo for something that's free on PCs. Sure Live works better in general, but I really shouldn't have to pay for something like that.

It does suck to pay, but 12+1 month live cards can be had for 40$ shipped now, bringing it down to $3.08 per month. Not bad!

That's a little better. But if you activate said card does it just go and run out even if you play or not? I mean there are some definite dead months (around finals) where I wouldn't be playing so I assume those would still count, and I couldn't just go month to month right?

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mad0maxx
To me all the great games that came out for the PC are on their consoles as well. Though any game looks better on a computer due to the shear fact that you have better hardware to use but the ease of use the console has it hands down.

I have not been following the upcoming computer games very much at all anymore because computer games in my opinion are forcing you to stay on the bleeding edge just to get the game to play on medium graphic's settings which is pure crap! I do not have the money nor the time to invest just to make sure that a damn game will work perfectly for me. I say time because if your computer is not top of the line at the time and you wanted to play a relatively new game at decent graphics settings you may try to spend some time tring to tweak your settings just to get that few FPS out of your system. Usually you spend your time upgrading the graphics drivers, sound drivers and sometimes your BIO's does not take much time but still a pain in the ass when you have to do it. On the other hand consoles update themselves from my experience when there is an update to be had automatically and with no action from me (X-Box 360). No need to tweak any settings on the consoles because it is displayed the same for everyone.

Now looking at games they all seem to be following the same generic path that all games in the past have been and nothing new has been presented to us in my opinion. The games of today that I call quality are far and few in between and I remember a time where when a new game came out it was so fun to play and alot of them were worth buying. Especially in the MMO market... you got so many MMO's out there now but they are all basically the same crap over and over and they almost all tend to lead into the raid content unless you go for some of the free MMO's such as "Fly For Fun" which is actually really good but very repetative but very fun with friends since it is completely free.

All in all I feel as if computer gaming is not were it was in the past and I do not think it will ever get back to that point ever again with the rise of next gen consoles, price difference, ease of use and lastly the availablity of each game on the consoles vs pc.

These are my opinion and I would love to hear what you all think about the whole situation of computer gaming. I looked for a thread of this nature in the search function but did not find one...

CLIFFS
Consoles are more fun to game on than PC's
Various reasons why in my opinion
New games all feel the same

Gonna have to agree with you. I just build a brand new rig about 4-3 months ago and ended up selling my Xbox 360. Huge mistake, i should of kept it as im very disappointed.

Originally posted by: schneiderguy
Consoles have nothing that can compete with the better FPS's, RTS's, MMO's, and simulations on the PC... although I do wish more games came out. Last year there were only like 3 good games that came out the entire year :( (Oblivion, CoH, HL2 ep1)... im probably forgetting some though

Yeah Right....

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

Great. Sell your PC, buy the 360, everyone wins... you're happy and we're happy since we won't have to read your posts anymore.
Cry more jizzum.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 40sTheme

Sure, keep telling yourself that. I'll keep my PC so I can play some Spore, Crysis, and Alan Wake.
If you are so inclined to believe that consoles don't survive on FUD a good portion of the time, you are wrong. They say consoles are "next-generation" when they bring up things PCs have done for years. Also, on the other side, the "next-gen" consoles don't do things that PCs have done for years (image quality enhancements being one of them. If the 360 has this supposed eDRAM built solely for AA and AF, show me something that uses AA and AF). I know that consoles are a good gaming platform for a lot of people, but until they offer PC gamers something better than what they've already experienced, they have to survive on people who believe a lot of the stuff they say. It just really makes me angry when console developers shower all this "awesome graphics" and "super multicore performance" on people. If your console is soooooo powerful, how come my Pentium D 820/2GB DDR2 800/7950GT runs better than the Oblivion on your console AND looks twice as good? Consoles thrive on people who will believe anything is awesome if you make it seem awesome. Kinda reminds me of video card manufacturers being like "ZOMG 512MB VRAM!!! BUY THIS!!!" but too bad we have it on a 128-bit bus so the bandwidth is limited! Thanks for your money!
EDIT:Edited because it wasn't Dethfrumbelo that said that. :D
Are you stupid or something? why do you keep saying "Your"? I dont have a xbox 360. I have a PC for my gaming needs at the moment. Refer Thraxen's post.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I'll probaly never give up pc gaming totally.
But give me an option that will allow me to play FPS on my 360 with a keyboard and mouse and i wont upgrade my pc near as much. ;)

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

Great, more PC-only brick walls. I'll try to keep this simple then.

There are a few facts you techno-nerds fail to grasp about your average consumer. First, most people buy off-the-shelf PCs that have integrated graphics and often minimal RAM. These PCs typically ARE NOT any better than the modern console. Second, most of the consumers ARE NOT interested in buying and installing new graphics cards and RAM. Third, many people wind up with their PCs getting bogged down with spyware and they run slow as sh!t anyway (I'm sure many of you have had the pleasure of cleaning such PCs for friends and family).

Fourth, most people DO NOT place their PCs in their primary entertainment centers. Sure, as CKent pointed out above, you can buy wireless controllers for your PC and connect it a modern HDTV. The problem is that, believe it or not (!!), that's NOT where most people want their PCs (shock!). Which brings us to my next point... even if you can convince people to put one there (since, believe it or not, many people prefer the casual gaming environment of their den/living room... another shock, I know!), people actually do work on their PCs too! What a concept!!!! So what do you do when daddy needs to do some work and the kids want to play a game or simply watch TV? And, get this (you may want to sit down for this), most people don't want to maintain two PCs!!! That's right... most people aren't interested in having both a gaming PC and a work PC.

So what could possibly solve these issues? Oh yeah, they are called consoles! And the reasons I listed above are the reason they aren't going anywhere and the reason why PC are not automatically the best gaming machines simply because you can drop $300-500 on new video cards and have better graphics.

Get over it.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
i got there a few months ago. i don't see the point in investing money in new hardware every month just so i can play the newest games on decent settings.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Graphically at least, PC hardware has already passed the 360 and PS3. In another year the gap will be very wide. If Crysis ever gets ported to the consoles, it won't look nearly as good as it will on a high-end PC.

Most console games are ported to the PC anyway, so who cares.