PC games that require an Xbox 360 controller = annoying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I have a wired xbox controller and it is just plug and play. I only use it for sports games.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
My Rumblepad 2 works just fine with Last Remnant. After five minutes navigating the menus on that game with keyboard I didn't want to play it as such.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
:confused: I played all of AA with the keyboard and mouse...

I thought it was tedious hunched over the keyboard, pressing keys.

I would have much rather sat back in my chair with a gamepad. Different strokes for different folks.

But I almost regret mentioning that game now; it wasn't the point of the thread. My rant was that a critical gameplay feature wasn't working in The Last Remnant while I was using my kb (and the colored xbox controller buttons were flashing on the screen). It pissed me off.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Its true that Nativly many games do not work with any other gampad but the 360. I have a great logitech gamepad but haing to map the keys was a pain, not only that, often the analogue sticks would not work right.

i think it has something to do with xinput vs directinput?

But the 360 wireless pad is a good pad, so i overlook it now.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
My Rumblepad 2 works just fine with Last Remnant. After five minutes navigating the menus on that game with keyboard I didn't want to play it as such.

How did you get it to work? Mine is dead when I play that game.

I tried everything.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
How did you get it to work? Mine is dead when I play that game.

I tried everything.

There's a game menu for controllers, mine was defaulted to the XBox 360 controller. Switched it to "gamepad" and was good to go, didn't even have to rebind anything. Just had it plugged in before starting the game using the native Win7 driver, no Logitech software driver.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Batman AA is perfectly fine with KB/mouse. it's quite seamless, actually. But I agree about Last Remnant, I'm trying that with KB/mouse b/c my 360 controller is borked, and I'm not liking it.

Can't play assassin's creed 2, yet, because of borked game pad (lol, KB/Mouse for that. lol)

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
If you want to play sport, racing, and some action/fighting games, you pretty much need a controller. I find console controllers last much longer than the 3rd party ones you can buy for PCs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought it was tedious hunched over the keyboard, pressing keys.

I would have much rather sat back in my chair with a gamepad. Different strokes for different folks.

But I almost regret mentioning that game now; it wasn't the point of the thread. My rant was that a critical gameplay feature wasn't working in The Last Remnant while I was using my kb (and the colored xbox controller buttons were flashing on the screen). It pissed me off.

oh, you can just set the critical strikes component to automatic if you need to stay on KB/Mouse.

that's what I did...until I ever get these infernal worm/virus/drivers removed from my system that have screwed my 360 game pad.

speaking of which: while searching for solutions on the internet, let me suggest that you do not--DO NOT install anything from MotionInJoy. that is one steaming pile of garbage.

several of those driver packages have insinuated themselves in my registry and will not allow me permission to delete (safe mode/admin privilege does nothing for this). uninstalling/reinstalling 360 game pad drivers will simply cause motioninjoy to reinstall itself (after all else that can be removed, has been removed).

I did learn, last night, that they are tied to Xinput (the microsoft install window for the game pad drivers now say "Xinput motioninjoy device now installed."

...I wonder if I delete Xinput drivers, then maybe from registry, I can finally remove that MiJ crap? :hmm:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
That's why I bought a 360 controller. I had a PS2 controller I used with a usb adapter but since newer games have trouble with that I bought a 360 controller on a special deal.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Batman AA is perfectly fine with KB/mouse. it's quite seamless, actually. But I agree about Last Remnant, I'm trying that with KB/mouse b/c my 360 controller is borked, and I'm not liking it.

Can't play assassin's creed 2, yet, because of borked game pad (lol, KB/Mouse for that. lol)

I thought assassins creed sucked with my 360 controller so I went back to the mouse and keyboard. I just really like the precision you get with the camera using a mouse even in action/adventure 3rd person games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought assassins creed sucked with my 360 controller so I went back to the mouse and keyboard. I just really like the precision you get with the camera using a mouse even in action/adventure 3rd person games.

the buttons for right hand, left hand, feet, whatever are all over the fucking place. mapping it to be more convenient for a keyboard doesn't really help, because all of the tutorial uses only the 360 gamepad buttons. I couldn't get past the intro (very first scene in Florence) because of the horrid implementation.

Honestly, though--I only got it because it was really cheap on steam at the time, and with extra maps. I much prefer that type of game on my PS3, where I can play it on my big TV and with a game pad.

Mar 10, 2005
i played that batman demo with a rumblepad. i was able to successfully play the game by mashing buttons at random. that's right, a chicken could beat that game. needless to say my money stayed in my pocket.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I found the keyboard and mouse controls in Batman AA to be excellent. Not sure why people have problems with it. I'm thinking it has something to do with the newer generation of PC gamers rather than the actual controls.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Am I the only one that preferred to play Assassins Creed with the keyboard? I found the KB to be more precise. Maybe I'm weird....

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I found the keyboard and mouse controls in Batman AA to be excellent. Not sure why people have problems with it. I'm thinking it has something to do with the newer generation of PC gamers rather than the actual controls.

I have no problems with buttons. Hell - I learned all of the buttons for X2. You have to love buttons to do that.

But unlike X2 Batman:AA is a console game, not a PC game. A gamepad feels much more natural.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have no problems with buttons. Hell - I learned all of the buttons for X2. You have to love buttons to do that.

But unlike X2 Batman:AA is a console game, not a PC game. A gamepad feels much more natural.

Right, and all FPS games are PC games, not console games. They should all be played with a keyboard and mouse.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Right, and all FPS games are PC games, not console games. They should all be played with a keyboard and mouse.

I actually prefer Bioshock with a controller, but I'm probably in the minority with that. I rarely play FPSs with a controller and when I do, it's always single player.

illram

Oct 17, 2011
I prefer Bioshock with a controller as well. I find it easier to quickly switch between plasmids and weapons that way.

Also in my experience if you have a not-so sensitive mouse, a controller makes the camera move smoother than the mouse.