PayPal Cuts Off Service To Wikileaks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Assange and wikileaks are symptoms, not the root of the problem. The people giving them the classified information from inside our government are the real enemies of the state.

In the case of knowingly leaking classified information, they should be places before a military tribunal for charges of treason.

However, I will say if the guy did rape that woman, then he deserves jail. But, I will be deeply ashamed if they turn out to be false charges and the people making those false charges should be punished.

It is very lame for Paypal and Amazon the be aiding in the censorship of Wikileaks. Although, I can understand their disgust.

It's more of a business decision. They don't want the bad press and possible future government action.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Ahh yes, the old 'shut up Canada, we protect you'. Question is, protect from what exactly? I don't read about other countries wanting to bomb the great evil that is Canada, or how Canada is the worst country in the world. Seems by being neighbors we are put into harms way, just be being next door. Personally, we don't need your 'protection', our military is more than competant to take care of protection.

Back to being on topic:

Everyone calling for Assange's death should really think before posting. What has he done really? He posted leaked documents, great, not like he did the leaking just the posting. Oh, he hurt your feelings? You don't feel 'safe' anymore? Or you don't like your dirty laundry being shown to the world?

Don't do stupid shit, or don't get caught. Your pathetic government can't even get that part right.

Without the US, I'm guessing Russia would have taken your oil and natural gas fields and Japan, Norway, etc taking your fishing grounds. Unfortunately, we're not able to get Canada to stop being a haven for terrorists. And wasn't the Canadian Army's heavy armor held hostage by a civilian freight ship for not paying for the shipping charges?

Calling for Assange's death? Isn't that what your PM's aide did, asking for his assassination?

Every country has dirty laundry, unfortunately due to 9/11, US government agencies were required to provide each other to access to each other's information, allowing too many people to gain access to SIPRNet.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
Funny to see so-called libertarians and small government types stick with their government the moment someone decides to do something other than vent on an internet forum. You guys are such a bunch of predictable hacks.

Not Ron Paul, he's a true American patriot, he says he supports Wikileaks and that there should be more like them around, there's only a thin, weak boundary between libertarians and republicans, that's why I don't trust them, they can change their colors quickly as you have stated.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I hope WikiLeaks survives for the next round where we'll get the dirt on a few banks. Hell, I'd donate to their cause if there was still a way too.

I wonder how many people in here get that this is going to become something that happens occasionally from this point forward? The press has all but abandoned their historic role as those who keep their government honest. It was only inevitable that a mass movement driven by technology take over in its place.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
here's something i kinda wondered about: if a newspaper got these documents, as opposed to wikileaks... do you think they'd leak them?

it'd be the story of the friggin century for them. i can only imagine that news services would froth at the mouth for this kind of information. once the info was in the wild, i suspect it was a matter of who/when, not if, the information would be leaked.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
libertarian =/= anarchy

but you are a predictable idiot

Yeah, there's a world of difference between people who care about freedom, centralization of power, transparency etc, and people like you, who'll hijack and use high-minded rhetoric about freedom just so you can pay a few percent less in taxes.

Let's face it, unlike you, Assange is not a petty, reactionary coward - he's out there putting himself and others in danger so he can actually measurably further the cause of freedom.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Not Ron Paul, he's a true American patriot, he says he supports Wikileaks and that there should be more like them around, there's only a thin, weak boundary between libertarians and republicans, that's why I don't trust them, they can change their colors quickly as you have stated.

There's a reason Ron Paul's Tea Party (circa 2008) fizzled out and Palin's Tea Party got popular - republicans will whine about freedom vis-a-vis taxes, but will instantly be whipped into government-defending propaganda drones with a few words about patriotism or some other shit.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I hope WikiLeaks survives for the next round where we'll get the dirt on a few banks. Hell, I'd donate to their cause if there was still a way too.

I wonder how many people in here get that this is going to become something that happens occasionally from this point forward? The press has all but abandoned their historic role as those who keep their government honest. It was only inevitable that a mass movement driven by technology take over in its place.

QFT

The blind servants of government aren't good for anyone, including themselves.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
here's something i kinda wondered about: if a newspaper got these documents, as opposed to wikileaks... do you think they'd leak them?

it'd be the story of the friggin century for them. i can only imagine that news services would froth at the mouth for this kind of information. once the info was in the wild, i suspect it was a matter of who/when, not if, the information would be leaked.

Of course they'd publish it, but they might redact some of the stuff if it endangers lives.

I doubt there would be so much outcry against it, too. The editor or whoever runs the newspaper would likely not be as public as Assange. He's out there supposedly raping people, he looks sleazy, he's Australian, weird, hypocritical (not transparent on his own activities), etc. He needs a PR agent.

Oct 27, 2007
You Americans are amazing. When someone publishes information that makes you look like douchebags, instead of criticizing the people responsible for being douchebags, you attack the person who makes the information available. Amazing.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
You Americans are amazing. When someone publishes information that makes you look like douchebags, instead of criticizing the people responsible for being douchebags, you attack the person who makes the information available. Amazing.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010

LMAO! Don't you know? They're called "patriots"!

Pollock

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2004

there is more than a "thin, weak boundary" between libertarians and republicans. libertarian positions are founded on property rights, personal freedoms, and economic freedoms. republican positions are founded on nothing.

not all of us are like that. don't generalize 300 million people.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

Is that what the Queen told you? You should read the leaks themselves. They make other world leaders look like douchebags, including your Inbred Possible Heir Prince Andrew. Of course, your government doesn't want you to know, better to keep the peasants in the dark on the Inbreds.

Oct 27, 2007
Is that what the Queen told you? You should read the leaks themselves. They make other world leaders look like douchebags, including your Inbred Possible Heir Prince Andrew. Of course, your government doesn't want you to know, better to keep the peasants in the dark on the Inbreds.
You're a broken record.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
let freedom ring
apparently all you freedom toting jackasses dont recognize it when you see it

the freedom to know the truth about the world

as long as you arent the one being murdered or having to work for 2 cents an hour you dont want to know the truth
in fact you find it offensive because it threatens the fragile bubble that you occupy

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
let freedom ring
apparently all you freedom toting jackasses dont recognize it when you see it

the freedom to know the truth about the world

as long as you arent the one being murdered or having to work for 2 cents an hour you dont want to know the truth
in fact you find it offensive because it threatens the fragile bubble that you occupy

These leaks make it much harder for the "America Fuck Yeah" crowd to maintain their cognitive dissonance. That's why they want Assange killed. Not because of imaginary risks to troops or operatives.

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Anyone want to tell me how lives are put in danger because of Wikileaks? I just started reading some leaks on there and so far I don't see any evidence that supports this argument.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

This is the real reason the Media is so against Wikileaks, the media doesn't want the competition. The media in the US is likely more corrupt than the government and have completely abandoned their duty to keep the public informed about their government.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
everyone who is against wikileaks is against freedom. Hows that for a platitude.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
everyone who is against wikileaks is against freedom. Hows that for a platitude.

Indeed they are. I have a few acquaintances who were born in mainland China and who, despite living in Canada for the majority of their lives and being actual Canadian citizens, will nevertheless turn into the scariest hardcore nationalists the moment someone brings up something bad China did.

Their reactions and the reactions of most of our resident "libertarians" to Wikileaks is pretty much the same thing, including all the sound-bytes like "treason", "national security", "endanger lives" etc etc.

Here's a little blurb from an interview Assange did:
It's not correct to put me in any one philosophical or economic camp, because I've learned from many. But one is American libertarianism, market libertarianism. So as far as markets are concerned I'm a libertarian, but I have enough expertise in politics and history to understand that a free market ends up as monopoly unless you force them to be free.

WikiLeaks is designed to make capitalism more free and ethical.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/30/assange-im-influenced-by-ameri

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Indeed they are. I have a few acquaintances who were born in mainland China and who, despite living in Canada for the majority of their lives and being actual Canadian citizens, will nevertheless turn into the scariest hardcore nationalists the moment someone brings up something bad China did.

Their reactions and the reactions of most of our resident "libertarians" to Wikileaks is pretty much the same thing, including all the sound-bytes like "treason", "national security", "endanger lives" etc etc.

Here's a little blurb from an interview Assange did:

http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/30/assange-im-influenced-by-ameri

And for that reason they will kill him. And our neocons will cheer as they have no freedom.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Dumb shts are attacking the messenger. Don't they realize that even if they snuff out one voice, others will appear? Easy to attack something as visible as wikileaks but anyone can leak this information at any time to any website. They just use wikileaks because it's the most viewed.