Paycheck Fairness Act

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I don't see the problem in this. It's ridiculous that employers are allowed to force people to hide what they make, and all they're saying is they have to divulge that information. If, as so many say, the wage gap is a myth and proving that is so easy then why would you fear this bill?

Any new law will result in more litigation, that's just how laws work. I'm for this, and I don't know why anybody else would fight it. This law protects all employees, not just women.

How many equal pay laws do we need?

We've had equal pay laws since 1963 IIRC.

I think my sig applies here.

Fern

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
In reality not really.

The only place I ever worked at that you had a clearly defined pay based on what you did was at Honeywell a few years back, and it was in a Bargaining Unit in a Union shop.

However, the Union had gotten small over the years and due to no one supporting it in house from pressure, they finally phased it out over rules that were bargained on a few years before I worked there.

After they had kept it going a long time, I was there 9 years and was the shop steward then.

We traded it off year to year in the tool shop, one of the older guys smelled something fishy Corporate way before then, when they renewed it and went for OSHA star rating to reduce insurance for the company.

Bigger than anything, after we got the STAR rating, (I was the first person the OSHA head of the inspecting team interviewed), a corporate post hole digger (PHD) showed up, asked questions about effectiveness of various machines he had no clue about, "is that a lathe?"

A few months later, when bargaining came up again, was a take a dramatic pay cut for all you're machining expertise offer or separation pay, I guess most went for separation pay and look for another job, over the protests of many Senior Engineers.

So much for equal pay and fairness in the workplace.

They now farm everything out with a much longer turn around time I guess, over the Engineers objections to doing that as they used to be able to walk into the shop and just get production improvements instantly, but corporate PhD's now best reporting to the home office apparently.

Last edited:

LetsGetReal

Apr 8, 2014
I don't see the problem in this. It's ridiculous that employers are allowed to force people to hide what they make, and all they're saying is they have to divulge that information. If, as so many say, the wage gap is a myth and proving that is so easy then why would you fear this bill?

Any new law will result in more litigation, that's just how laws work. I'm for this, and I don't know why anybody else would fight it. This law protects all employees, not just women.

Its easy to show the pay, not so easy to show they did the same work.
They can compare hours to dollars per specific job title but even then it doesnt consider experience level, education, actually job performance etc.

If you say it protects all employees not just women then they will have to pay all running backs the same in the NFL regardless of ability or talent. Are you starting to see how this equal outcome law is unamerican and unfair to everyone except the low performance people?

Its just one step closer to communism, same pay no matter what the work.

Another thing to consider, for example in a union job everyone gets paid the same according to a pay grade based on seniority and job description. The caveat is that if you dont meet the minimum acceptable requirements, you get fired. This would result in an inordinate amount of women getting fired which will look like discrimination based on gender even though its actually because of low performance. As usual the men have to carry the women and the state enforced unproductivity will just have to be factored in to the cost of doing business and the price of the final product or service much like any other tax.

The marines, police departments and fire departments are all good examples of this. Different standards for women because most women are simply not cut out for that kind of work. The marines have a standard of 3 pullups for all marines but because so few women could do 3 pullups even after basic training, the cant fail 60% of recruits so they had to change the standard for women to 0 pullups, they just have to hang at a 90 deg elbow angle for 70 seconds or so they still call them marines. Double standards = compromised military, police, fire & rescue. Im surprised the NFL hasnt been sued for discrimination yet since no women are on any of the teams.

Last edited: