Paycheck Fairness Act

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013...ct-would-allow-employees-to-discuss-salaries/

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC)- A ‘Paycheck Fairness Act’ introduced in Congress last week would require employers to show pay disparity is related to job-performance and prohibit employer retaliation for sharing salary information with coworkers.

Senator Barbara A. Mikulski and Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro, both Democrats, said their legislation is aimed at closing the pay gap between men and women and would also address loopholes in the 1963 Equal Pay Act.

Currently, the law allows employers to sue or otherwise punish employees for sharing their salary information and women still make just 77 cents on their male counterpart’s dollar, according to Sen. Mikulski’s office.

In President Barack Obama’s Inaugural address on Jan. 21, he said a priority in his current term would be effectively closing the pay gap. During the first few weeks of his first term, Obama’s signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which overturned the 180-day statute of limitations for women to contest pay discrimination.

Mikulski and DeLauro said the Paycheck Fairness Act would also allow women to seek punitive damages for pay discrimination, establish a grant program to strengthen salary negotiation and other workplace skills and require the Department of Labor to enhance outreach and training efforts to eliminate pay disparities.

I echo the first comment I saw: Bite me.

We don't need government to dictate anymore than it already is. The pay gap has been so utterly exposed as a myth that it's a wonder people are either ignorant of it or clinging to some semblance of victimhood for its political utility. Pathetic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While I would have to read more into the pay gap, I have always thought that employers being able to punish their workers for telling each other how much they make is bullshit.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
While I would have to read more into the pay gap, I have always thought that employers being able to punish their workers for telling each other how much they make is bullshit.

Perhaps it's bullshit, but it's rightly their call.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The pay gap has been so utterly exposed as a myth that it's a wonder people are either ignorant of it or clinging to some semblance of victimhood for its political utility. Pathetic.

How Democrats are able to believe that on the one hand corporations only care about profits and will out source jobs to save a nickle on the one hand, but will pay men 30% more for the same work on the other the hand is beyond me.

I mean wow the amount of double-think required is amazing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How Democrats are able to believe that on the one hand corporations only care about profits and will out source jobs to save a nickle on the one hand, but will pay men 30% more for the same work on the other the hand is beyond me.

Oh good, nehalem has showed up to give us his opinions on women again.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Meh. I would be fine with regulation against it. It exists in significant part to distort wages.

Or perhaps because they don't want employees passing judgment on the company's pay decisions.

They pay the wages. If they want to distort them it's their right to do so. Let markets sort that out, not the government.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Cant believe the morons that actually believe this crap about women getting paid less, A complete myth and this act must be scrapped

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Goes to show the true mind of the liberal. They desire equal outcome, not equal opportunity.

That equal outcome = equal misery for all.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Goes to show the true mind of the liberal. They desire equal outcome, not equal opportunity.

That equal outcome = equal misery for all.

I thought this was in direct correlation to reading your posts?

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009

I'm not a fan of this law at all, but you have some double-think going on here as well.

On the one hand you say there is no pay gap, but on the other you think it would be a problem for employers to show that pay disparity is related to job performance.

If the wage gap can be easily explained by years experience and responsibility differences (which I agree it effectively can) then this law will have no impact on employers.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Don't worry, corporations will adjust to keep themselves legal on pay by reducing salaries for men to match women. Because they sure as shit aren't going to raise women's wages with no business justification to do so.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Or perhaps because they don't want employees passing judgment on the company's pay decisions.

They pay the wages. If they want to distort them it's their right to do so. Let markets sort that out, not the government.

Markets rely on the free flow of information, something the company is trying to restrict. I'm fine with government sorting that out.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
What I am a fan of is employers not being able to punish employees for releasing their salary information. I've always thought that was bullshit, and I believe those policies are widespread enough that choice has now gone out the window.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ask yourself. If you were running a business, why would you pay a man 30% more for the same work?

Ask yourself this question, if you could hide this fact from other workers what would stop you if you thought that person was worth it?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This looks ripe for abuse, costly litigation, and paperwork out the ass. Perfect for big govt types who like to stimulate demand by hiring lawyers to sort out the laws they enact. For business and the rest of us? A nightmare waiting to happen.