Paul Ryan: Perceptions after the debate?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Biden's job wasn't to try to convince people like you, or even undecideds. His job was to staunch the bleeding from last week and give his side some enthusiasm and energy. And he did that very well.

Completely agree.

I also think Ryan's job was to not lose ground that had been gained. I can't decide if he succeeded as well. It sounded like he did based on the comments I was hearing from people on C-SPAN in the post-debate. There was a lot of excuse-making during and after, but they still were supporting the R/R side.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Impressions?

Stately
Handsome
Informed
Totally vice presidential material

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought he was a weaselly piece of shit before the debate and I think the same thing after it.

came in here to post this. heh.

still...he's the best Pub veep candidate since Cheney or Palin.

sad, right?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Completely agree.

I also think Ryan's job was to not lose ground that had been gained. I can't decide if he succeeded as well. It sounded like he did based on the comments I was hearing from people on C-SPAN in the post-debate. There was a lot of excuse-making during and after, but they still were supporting the R/R side.

As far as most of the Republican base is concerned Ryan did his job. He held to most of the campaign positions and didn't crumble. A lot of his facts were the same BS the campaign has been spewing for months and nobody who was already inclined to vote for the ticket would be dissuaded. His performance was adequate for the party but in no way distinguished.

However as far as the media goes almost all right wing pundits were casually predicting that Ryan would destroy Biden or that Biden would make some horrible gaffe destroying himself instead. Neither of those outcomes occurred. Instead Biden was prepared, articulate, calm, and very aggressive.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Biden was prepared, articulate, calm, and very aggressive.

Calm? Calm?? More like a raving lunatic. I wouldn't describe someone pointing a finger, raising his voice and rudely interrupting the other person when his points were getting rebutted as "calm".

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Clearly Biden was sent in to attack and he did just that. To his credit Ryan didn't break down but all he could do was hold on to the empty rhetoric and talking points for dear life until the bad man stopped.

I find all of these images hilarious (and accurate)

--Biden sent in to attack! Ah damn--what are we gonna do, we're bleeding out over here...send in Joe!

--Ryan waiting for big bad Joe to stop kicking him in the shins so he can limp away.

lol

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Calm? Calm?? More like a raving lunatic. I wouldn't describe someone pointing a finger, raising his voice and rudely interrupting the other person when his points were getting rebutted as "calm".
You forgot to put quotes around "rebutted"

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

He didn't get flustered, he was interjecting to stop Ryan from getting any momentum on arguably bogus claims. His mission was to stop the infomercial pitch and attack Ryan to rile up the Democratic base. I'd say he was very calm and knew exactly what he was doing.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

He was calmer than you are.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I watched it on TV. The one last week I listened to on the radio. And I thought Romney was every bit as rude and aggressive as Biden was.

But then.. I'm not a complete partisan. :p
I think you just contradicted yourself. If you saw Romney as "every bit" as rude as Biden was then you are left of Phokus.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In the same way I see Obama as very cocky and very confident. For good or bad, he exudes "I'm the shit". It does rub me the wrong way sometimes.

dubya Bush had that, too--and I got that, and completely understand why people ate it up.

I still recall him swaggering out to his acceptance speech at the RNC in 2000 with that giant shit-eating grin. I knew, then, that Gore was toast.

:D

Dec 10, 2005
He was calmer than you are.
waltercalm.jpg

Last edited:

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
He came prepared to say what he wanted to say.

He was not prepped for the Joe Biden that came after him so forcefully and exposed all of his lies and half truths. The classic moment in the debate came during the stimulus talk and Biden ripped him to shreds when he exposed the fact that Ryan himself asked for stimulus money claiming it would help "grow jobs".

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
But then.. I'm not a complete partisan. :p

There is still hope, then! :awe:

Biden's job wasn't to try to convince people like you, or even undecideds. His job was to staunch the bleeding from last week and give his side some enthusiasm and energy. And he did that very well.

That speaks very poorly of the Democrat Party in that they are equivalent to the mob in the Coliseum.

Sturm und Drang!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
He came prepared to say what he wanted to say.

He was not prepped for the Joe Biden that came after him so forcefully and exposed all of his lies and half truths. The classic moment in the debate came during the stimulus talk and Biden ripped him to shreds when he exposed the fact that Ryan himself asked for stimulus money claiming it would help "grow jobs".
That was classic. :D

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Future republican Presidential nominee but I don't think the republicans are going to win the election this time mainly because of how bad Romney is. I thought Paul Ryan did pretty good in the debate and he's good looking, well spoken, and he kept his composure. The problem is Romney is running a campaign on bullshit and unfortunately for Ryan he has to go along with it because he really doesn't have any other choice.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The classic moment in the debate came during the stimulus talk and Biden ripped him to shreds when he exposed the fact that Ryan himself asked for stimulus money claiming it would help "grow jobs".

You really don't know what they do in the Congress, do you?

Biden played a familiar trick, use a part of the job that has to be done against someone that wants to reform it.

It won't register to those who don't know how often this happens, but to only have two such requests go out from Ryan's office is astonishingly low.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Future republican Presidential nominee but I don't think the republicans are going to win the election this time mainly because of how bad Romney is. I thought Paul Ryan did pretty good in the debate and he's good looking, well spoken, and he kept his composure. The problem is Romney is running a campaign on bullshit and unfortunately for Ryan he has to go along with it because he really doesn't have any other choice.
Hopefully we can get that two-faced liar in the Oval Office as soon as possible, though. :thumbsup:

Dec 10, 2005
That was classic. :D

What about this exchange?

RYAN: R.C. East -- R.C. East...
BIDEN: R.C. East is the most dangerous place in the world.
RYAN: That’s right. That’s why we don’t want to send fewer people to the...
BIDEN: That’s -- that’s why we should send Americans in to do the job, instead of the -- you’d rather Americans be going in doing the job instead of the trainees?
RYAN: No. We are already sending Americans to do the job, but fewer of them. That’s the whole problem.
BIDEN: That’s right. We’re sending in more Afghans to do the job, Afghans to do the job.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
That speaks very poorly of the Democrat Party in that they are equivalent to the mob in the Coliseum.

Uh huh. And this contrasts against the sudden bump in enthusiasm for Romney after he did the exact same thing last week, right?

You really should at least make some sort of an effort to be objective if you're going to accuse others of being "partisans".