Paul Ryan: Perceptions after the debate?

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I thought he seemed overly weaselly. In the same vein as Reince Prebus and Romney to a lesser degree. Someone who seems like he has no issue saying anything to get your vote.

I did get the takeaway that he was smart. He came to the debate very prepared. Even though what he prepared was Malarkey (Biden's words).

I wonder if that is the reason the R's are so high on Christie. There are not too many candidates in the party that seem real or genuinely sincere.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I thought he was a weaselly piece of shit before the debate and I think the same thing after it.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
He really kept the weasely factor well under wraps last night. For a numbers guy, though, he had no numbers at all and the numbers Biden used pretty much devastated Ryan's "trust us" argument.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
Merriam-Webster BARRACKING Jeer loudly at (someone performing or speaking in public) in order to express disapproval or to create a distraction.

Wow our President and his VP already have a word in the dictionary to describe Biden's behavior. Barack/ Barracking

Biden interrupts Ryan 82 Times and complains about not getting equal talking time.

Even though most do not believe this debate swayed undecided voters many were not pleased with Biden's Rude behavior. When these people are deciding I would bet Biden's Clown Act will be in the back of their Minds myself included

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Before the debate I thought he was a policy wonk with some big ideas.

Now I think he's a trained parrot in a suit.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Ryan is very experienced in explaining complexity under the fire of interrupting and overtalking Democrats who can't handle the truth.

Last night he faced Chrissie Matthews' twin and a moderator that did not control the interrupting and overtalking that Biden felt would effectively shut down Ryan's commentary.

It did, for the night. But one night will not end the campaign and there will be many forums where he will get the message of fiscal responsibility out.

No one wins when a lout like Biden takes over the conversation, but Ryan will have many more opportunities and Biden will get the chance to talk over the other residents in his retirement home.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Merriam-Webster BARRACKING Jeer loudly at (someone performing or speaking in public) in order to express disapproval or to create a distraction.

Wow our President and his VP already have a word in the dictionary to describe Biden's behavior. Barack/ Barracking

Biden interrupts Ryan 82 Times and complains about not getting equal talking time.

Even though most do not believe this debate swayed undecided voters many were not pleased with Biden's Rude behavior. When these people are deciding I would bet Biden's Clown Act will be in the back of their Minds myself included
That term was coined in response to Republicans jeering Obama during a speech. I assume since you think Biden was rude you are unaware of all the lies that Ryan used? I suppose you wouldn't get upset if someone lied about you to your face on national television?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Then why didn't he do that last night?

Over 80 Biden interruptions of Ryan's alloted time to reply to posed questions.

Eight moderator interruptions of Ryan's alloted time to reply to posed questions, versus one of Biden's.

In the face of a concerted effort to shut his responses down, Ryan did quite well.

In the face of Biden's boorish behaviours, Ryan is seen as the adult in the room again. And this will continue to pull the electorate toward a Romney/Ryan victory.

I know many here like to see blood in the water, but we are not the audience that had to be reached, the uncommitted voters were. And it is here that Biden's demeanor and laughter in discussing issues like a nuclear Iran and the death of an American ambassador on his watch are viewed as moronic and will result in, at the least, a serious consideration of Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Ryan is very experienced in explaining complexity under the fire of interrupting and overtalking Democrats who can't handle the truth.

Last night he faced Chrissie Matthews' twin and a moderator that did not control the interrupting and overtalking that Biden felt would effectively shut down Ryan's commentary.

It did, for the night. But one night will not end the campaign and there will be many forums where he will get the message of fiscal responsibility out.

No one wins when a lout like Biden takes over the conversation, but Ryan will have many more opportunities and Biden will get the chance to talk over the other residents in his retirement home.

Personally, did he come off as convincing to you? I am usually good at judging people. I overwhelming felt like he was a slimy weasel who lies on cue. So things like his marathon lie, I expect.

In the same way I see Obama as very cocky and very confident. For good or bad, he exudes "I'm the shit". It does rub me the wrong way sometimes.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Over 80 Biden interruptions of Ryan's alloted time to reply to posed questions.

But you just said that Ryan was very experienced in dealing with such.

I guess you were mistaken.

In the face of a concerted effort to shut his responses down, Ryan did quite well.

Did what quite well? He certainly kept his cool, but he ducked nearly every question he was asked, and Biden ripped his claims apart repeatedly. He certainly didn't "explain complexity" -- he mostly just kept repeating talking points.

In the face of Biden's boorish behaviours, Ryan is seen as the adult in the room again.

Funny, because I thought Biden behaved relative to Ryan roughly how Romney behaved to Obama. I was away last week, but I have a feeling that if I pulled up the search engine, I'd find you didn't have any problem with Romney's "boorish behaviors".

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Did what quite well? He certainly kept his cool, but he ducked nearly every question he was asked, and Biden ripped his claims apart repeatedly. He certainly didn't "explain complexity" -- he mostly just kept repeating talking points.

Funny, because I thought Biden behaved relative to Ryan roughly how Romney behaved to Obama. I was away last week, but I have a feeling that if I pulled up the search engine, I'd find you didn't have any problem with Romney's "boorish behaviors".

I was amazed at How Ryan kept his cool. Biden hammered him. But that added to his sleezy factor for me as well.

Biden was overly boorish. But I do find it amazing people are criticizing Biden when Romney basically told the moderator to shut f up.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Ryan lied and dodged questions. Biden shot him down. Ryan lied more. My perception is Ryan is a weasel. He has a bright future in the GOP.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

This. Biden was acting like a Republican at a Town Hall meeting. I was thinking I'd give him a listen, and see if he could redeem all the idiocy that has poured from his mouth in the last few year, but that came to a grinding halt when he started that crap. So what? Obama/Bidens game is spineless chump, and loudmouth frat boy?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

But you are a complete partisan. You can't help but root toot toot for your side.

You really should watch the Romney/Obama debate to see how a debate should go. It was free flowing and polite.

You will not see either person interrupt the other to the the extent that Biden made this his mission.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
But you are a complete partisan. You can't help but root toot toot for your side.

I think most people here would consider you a lot more of a "complete partisan" than me.

It's true that I hate what the current GOP has become, but I'm no big fan of the Democrats. In contrast, you constantly post "rah rah" threads taken from Breitbart and others.

You really should watch the Romney/Obama debate to see how a debate should go. It was free flowing and polite.

I listened to it on the radio. I stand by my comments.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
He seemed especially weak on foreign policy and national security, two traditionally right-wing areas of strength.

That gives you an idea of how bad the night was for him.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I think most people here would consider you a lot more of a "complete partisan" than me.

It's true that I hate what the current GOP has become, but I'm no big fan of the Democrats. In contrast, you constantly post "rah rah" threads taken from Breitbart and others.

I did more Breitbart references when I first moved back to the States and was getting back into American politics. Old news, my friend, try to keep up.

I listened to it on the radio. I stand by my comments.

Nobody who listened to the radio broadcast of the debate thought Biden was much out of line.

Everyone who watched his mugging and laughing on TV thought he was CRAYZEEEEEEE! (Hat tip to Eddie!)

crazyeddie.gif

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Given his performance at the GOP convention which was...veracity challenged to say the least I didn't think he'd make the same mistake again. Clearly I was wrong.

Biden's interruptions did get annoying however they weren't without reason because of the total bullshit pouring forth from Ryan. When Ryan got challenged all he did was retreat into talking points and tell sappy personal stories that have been told time and again on the stump that had nothing to do with the question at hand. He ignored most pointed questions from the moderator when he made statements that would be politically (and practically) unfulfillable.

Clearly Biden was sent in to attack and he did just that. To his credit Ryan didn't break down but all he could do was hold on to the empty rhetoric and talking points for dear life until the bad man stopped.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I didn't know a lot about Ryan prior to the debate, now I have a very positive opinion of him. He was able to maintain his composure through 82 interruptions from that idiot Biden, and 8 interruptions from that obummer minion ratatatat or whatever her name is. He did a very good job.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I did more Breitbart references when I first moved back to the States and was getting back into American politics. Old news, my friend, try to keep up.

Doesn't really rebut your rather laughable criticism of me as a "partisan". :)

Nobody who listened to the radio broadcast of the debate thought Biden was much out of line.

I watched it on TV. The one last week I listened to on the radio. And I thought Romney was every bit as rude and aggressive as Biden was.

But then.. I'm not a complete partisan. :p

Biden's job wasn't to try to convince people like you, or even undecideds. His job was to staunch the bleeding from last week and give his side some enthusiasm and energy. And he did that very well.