Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
RF by itself was buffed substantially, because it lost Ele Overload. and i see some new sources of fire DoT multi on the tree, i might go for RF golementalist as league starter, it requires from uniques but not very hard overall and great for acts and getting to maps "fast"

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
RF by itself was buffed substantially, because it lost Ele Overload. and i see some new sources of fire DoT multi on the tree, i might go for RF golementalist as league starter, it requires from uniques but not very hard overall and great for acts and getting to maps "fast"

I have always loved RF builds. Talk about lazy and easy! :)

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I want to do a Raider but I'm not sure what skill I really want to play. So I'm just going to level as Elemental Hit ballista totems. Should be around 1.2m to 1.5m DPS on pretty cheap gear. Then I'll figure out what I want to swap to later.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I want to do a Raider but I'm not sure what skill I really want to play. So I'm just going to level as Elemental Hit ballista totems. Should be around 1.2m to 1.5m DPS on pretty cheap gear. Then I'll figure out what I want to swap to later.

Totems!!! :)

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Not going to have a lot of time to play for the next two weeks but I'll be playing this league. I didn't plan anything so I went ranger by default. I think i'll do an elemental hit deadeye or something, not really sure what is good and bad anymore since skipping the last league and so many balance changes.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So far Ancestral Warrior totems is sorta ... meh. It's fine just slow and doesn't feel "rewarding"
I don't get how my shield charge is supposed to trigger fortify either if I can't do damage my self due to ancestral bond?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
How does the Scourge part work? Are you just supposed to kill as much as you can while you're there and see if something good drops? I've tried the tranform funtion on items but it's too random to risk anything worthwhile. Seems it would be better to put blanks in and if you get 2 good modifers then try the other crafting options to turn it into something viable.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
How does the Scourge part work? Are you just supposed to kill as much as you can while you're there and see if something good drops? I've tried the tranform funtion on items but it's too random to risk anything worthwhile. Seems it would be better to put blanks in and if you get 2 good modifers then try the other crafting options to turn it into something viable.
it helps gearing up with rares while leveling. you can't keep crafting on the scourged items, they are corrupted. most of the time i got resistance modifiers so the potential to gear up with uniques and still get res capped is interesting for builds that struggle with it. i just wish we had more time to kill monsters in the alternate reality, it seems way too short.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The mechanic of crafting in scourge is horrible. The negative effects 99.999% of the time GREATLY outweigh any positives. It's never worth the risk of putting anything worthwhile in there. All I've been using the scourge mechanic for is to pop into the upside-down world to hit some additional mobs for XP. Other than that, the general consensus so far seems to be it's horrible.

That being said, my build is coming along nicely. Finally clearing at a decent speed. Almost through the Acts and to the atlas soon.
I still can't figure out what to put in place of the shield charge + fortify as that won't trigger with ancestral bond. I guess I could put another cast on damage taken and throw a curse or something?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
The mechanic of crafting in scourge is horrible. The negative effects 99.999% of the time GREATLY outweigh any positives. It's never worth the risk of putting anything worthwhile in there. All I've been using the scourge mechanic for is to pop into the upside-down world to hit some additional mobs for XP. Other than that, the general consensus so far seems to be it's horrible.

I will say that I think they did a great job with the implementation of the nightmare transition. It feels super smooth and the base is perfect to come back through and do a balance pass to get the rewards where they need to be. It's a lot better than some leagues that need a loot pass and there are numerous bugs.

I know you're not at maps yet but the big rewards are krangling maps. They'll get a lot harder but they can have 2 or 3 big mods per rare killed. I have a few I haven't run yet that are like drop 2 maps and 2 jewels per rare killed, drop 6 abyss jewels per rare killed, drop 2 scarabs per rare killed. Stuff like that. They'll probably do a balance pass and bump up the good mods on items to round things out.

That being said, my build is coming along nicely. Finally clearing at a decent speed. Almost through the Acts and to the atlas soon.
I still can't figure out what to put in place of the shield charge + fortify as that won't trigger with ancestral bond. I guess I could put another cast on damage taken and throw a curse or something?

They changed fortify this league in an effort to not allow other class types to use it and it affected the fortify support gem. Before you just had to hit a mob regardless of damage and you got the buff. Now fortify is give in stacks up to 20(1% dam reduction per stack) based on the melee damage you do. Since you aren't doing melee damage you don't get it.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
it helps gearing up with rares while leveling. you can't keep crafting on the scourged items, they are corrupted. most of the time i got resistance modifiers so the potential to gear up with uniques and still get res capped is interesting for builds that struggle with it. i just wish we had more time to kill monsters in the alternate reality, it seems way too short.

Once you get to maps and your build is a bit flushed out, you should be able to full clear nightmare no problems.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I will say that I think they did a great job with the implementation of the nightmare transition. It feels super smooth and the base is perfect to come back through and do a balance pass to get the rewards where they need to be. It's a lot better than some leagues that need a loot pass and there are numerous bugs.

I know you're not at maps yet but the big rewards are krangling maps. They'll get a lot harder but they can have 2 or 3 big mods per rare killed. I have a few I haven't run yet that are like drop 2 maps and 2 jewels per rare killed, drop 6 abyss jewels per rare killed, drop 2 scarabs per rare killed. Stuff like that. They'll probably do a balance pass and bump up the good mods on items to round things out.

They changed fortify this league in an effort to not allow other class types to use it and it affected the fortify support gem. Before you just had to hit a mob regardless of damage and you got the buff. Now fortify is give in stacks up to 20(1% dam reduction per stack) based on the melee damage you do. Since you aren't doing melee damage you don't get it.

Oh yeah - the transition to Nightmare is great. Sometimes the first "pop" is a little sluggish to start (though my 2GB GPU is junk, but I refuse to buy a new one in the current market) but the overall it's just a nice/smooth in motion transition. I didn't even think of krangling maps. That will be nice for sure.

Protip: I also learned that you can actually stack fragments in the map device so you don't have to keep going back to your stash to pick them up.

Yeah - fortify isn't going to work for the reason you pointed out. I'm thinking about doing a CWDT for a curse or something? Though not sure which is ideal Not sure what else can be used other than that.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Yeah - fortify isn't going to work for the reason you pointed out. I'm thinking about doing a CWDT for a curse or something? Though not sure which is ideal Not sure what else can be used other than that.

You have 3 to 4 links so you actually have a really good option right now. Run an attack like Ground Slam then pair it with Hextouch and curse of your choice...either flammability or enfeeble. If you wanted to get close then you could change the attack to Frenzy and that would get your more damage as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You have 3 to 4 links so you actually have a really good option right now. Run an attack like Ground Slam then pair it with Hextouch and curse of your choice...either flammability or enfeeble. If you wanted to get close then you could change the attack to Frenzy and that would get your more damage as well.

Forgot about Hextouch. Does AoE support with with Groundslam? Would allow me to keep distance better and affect more monsters easily too
flammability would allow me to remove fire-pen from the 6L setup and toss something else in there.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Forgot about Hextouch. Does AoE support with with Groundslam? Would allow me to keep distance better and affect more monsters easily too
flammability would allow me to remove fire-pen from the 6L setup and toss something else in there.

It does. A level 10 AoE gem gives you about 15% more AoE. If you don't like ground slam look up unarmed in the wiki. It gives you the list of skills that you can use with it. I just picked ground slam because it has the fastest attack speed of all slam skills that can use unarmed...but it may not have the furthest AoE.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It does. A level 10 AoE gem gives you about 15% more AoE. If you don't like ground slam look up unarmed in the wiki. It gives you the list of skills that you can use with it. I just picked ground slam because it has the fastest attack speed of all slam skills that can use unarmed...but it may not have the furthest AoE.

Excellent. I think that's a solid replacement

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

looks like Ground Slam has the highest out of the box

Though Earthquake might give more overall area versus the "directional" cone of GS.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

You can double corrupt them though. If you toss an already corrupted item in the krangler, it will then spit out with 2 new scourge mods (one good, one bad) so it's another way to double corrupt. But again, the bad seem to GROSSLY outweigh the good at every turn. I know it's not supposed to be an automatic winner, but even the mods themselves are jsut not balanced.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

For what it's worth, after a little experimenting, I found keeping shield charge, faster cast and adding hextouch and flammability seemed to be the best combo. I'd toss down totems, then shield dash through he mob and they'd get cursed. EQ and GS was just too slow to trigger and felt "heavy" in a build that already seems to weigh a ton.

I hit mapping last night and it seemed my build went from virtually unstoppable in Act 10 to having to slow down A TON and take my time through T1 and T2 maps. Weird.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I hit mapping last night and it seemed my build went from virtually unstoppable in Act 10 to having to slow down A TON and take my time through T1 and T2 maps. Weird.
That is weird. Usually I find tiers 1 to 3 mobs much easier than act 10 (as long as resists are good after the 2nd kitava curse).

Unless they drastically change the rewards, I don't see myself playing this league too long. I will wait until I try the league mechanic in maps before my final judgment.

So far, I haven't seen a good (or half decent) corrupt drop from scourge or created a corrupt item that was better than the gear I was wearing.

Still in acts with not a lot of playtime yet, mostly I'm playing with my son in my lap watching cartoons on the 2nd monitor so I take it slow or afk in my hideout.

Reactions: Homerboy

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Also I still don't know what build I'm doing. I picked ranger and went elemental hit but I don't know what I'm doing with the new passive tree. My plan currently is to get to maps and then adjust my tree according to a build I like on poe.ninja. I haven't even done the lab yet and will probably wait until maps because haven't decided on an ascendancy. Haven't need the lab points yet since I'm melting everything in 1-2 hits, also have 8 unspent passive points.

I did lucky with drops in acts 3 and 4 and sold a jewel and some boots and belts to gear my character.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That is weird. Usually I find tiers 1 to 3 mobs much easier than act 10 (as long as resists are good after the 2nd kitava curse).

Unless they drastically change the rewards, I don't see myself playing this league too long. I will wait until I try the league mechanic in maps before my final judgment.

So far, I haven't seen a good (or half decent) corrupt drop from scourge or created a corrupt item that was better than the gear I was wearing.

Still in acts with not a lot of playtime yet, mostly I'm playing with my son in my lap watching cartoons on the 2nd monitor so I take it slow or afk in my hideout.

I bulked up my res a bit which helped getting through T1-3 maps thus far. Still a little short on both lightning and cold, but they're at like 60%+ so not bad.
The one thing I don't like about my build all that much is after placing the totems, the first "whacks" from the ancestral warlords take a while to start up. It's just a "slow" skill it seems.

And maybe it's just bad luck on my end, but I've been getting crap for currency drops. I struggle to scrape together a couple of chaos.

As far as Scourge is concerned, the only use of it is to pop into nightmare for a few extra mobs. I just have not found any krangled item (or seen anyone brag about any online) that are worth it.