Path of Exile 3.0 Discussion

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Any point in playing POE when the sequel is in full development? I watched the new trailers and it looks fantastic, its however going to be at least 2-3 years from release though.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
The sequel won't honestly be THAT different (IMO). It will be the same engine but with a new story and some game play changes.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Any point in playing POE when the sequel is in full development? I watched the new trailers and it looks fantastic, its however going to be at least 2-3 years from release though.
You would have something to play for the next 2 years and when the next version is out would would have an idea of the system.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
@rstrohkirch - the patron saint of POE :)
Yep :) His gear is crazy... so much damage.

@rstrohkirch Haven't played much last few days since the weather has been so nice but it's been crazy playing with your gear. The damage on your build is crazy... my passive tree still is not fully optimized for your gear but I'm one shotting everything except uniques and I've done everything upto T16 while trying to get watchstones.

Now I'm probably doing something wrong but Barrage feels clunky to me still in certain map mods. Last time I used Barrage was in Essence so maybe I'm not used to it.

I was using Rampage before with Sinvicta's Mettle in offhand with an ice trap 6 link. Unfortunately I don't have enough STR anymore so I've switched to using Bisco's Leash... but now I equip it only when I start an Ultimatum and take it off during the first pause. Unfortunately I'm no longer as fast as I was before after redoing my passive tree and with your gear, that's the only thing I don't like about it lol since usually I do focus on going zoom zoom at the cost of other defences.

But I will say it again... the damage increase is crazy! Ultimatums are a breeze now even in t15-16 maps while before they were easy only upto t14. I haven't done endgame yet with your gear but I just need to sit down and get more playtime. Thinking about switching Barrage to offhand since I was running CWDT+IC+ID before. I've also taken out the golem since it's always dead in Ultimatums.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I do agree that Barrage feels clunky. I basically just come in and fire off a few frenzy to get charges, stand on top of the boss, pop flasks and Barrage. It feels like a janky channeling skill though. But you really only use it on the map boss/end game bosses so it's not that bad. If you want to do the end end game content like Mavin, Uber Elder, etc then you really need to use it as my gear isn't quite good enough to use Ice Shot solo.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone got time to look through my gems? I found mistakes that I was making and wanted to be sure there weren't others. I had mana and life leech on minions and didn't realize the leech was going to them not me. I've finished the Acts and Tier 1 maps. Currently at Lvl 80 with 3035HP and 755 Mana.

Helmet: Summon Ice Golem - Faster Attack Support - Tectonic Slam - Fist of War
Armor: Vaal Double strike - Increased Crit Support - Ancestral Call Support - Melee Physical Damage Support - Multistrike Support, War banner
Gloves: Herald of Purity - Added Fire Damage Support - Assassin's Mark - Minion Damage Support
Boots: Life Leech - Mana Leech - Damage on full life - Riposte
Axe1: Steelskin- Cast when dmg taken - Dash
Axe2: Endurance charge on melee stun - Frenzy - Melee Splash Support

Almost 90% of my attacks are double strike with Vaal double strike for tougher fights. I use the Slam for big groups. Goal for upgrade is to get a 6 link for my armor and add in Faster Attack.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
What is your POE account name? It's easier for me to see things in Path of Building to make suggestions.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What is your POE account name? It's easier for me to see things in Path of Building to make suggestions.
JT_WhiteFlame is the character.
The login is through Steam so I'm not sure what that would be.

Last edited:

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
JT_WhiteFlame is the character.

You need to login in to the POE website and set your account to public. Then others can look at your characters. To do this you login and click on your username at the top which should be in yellow. Then on the right side of the screen you'll see Edit Privacy Settings. Click on that and then uncheck Set Profile as Private and hit update.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
You need to login in to the POE website and set your account to public. Then others can look at your characters. To do this you login and click on your username at the top which should be in yellow. Then on the right side of the screen you'll see Edit Privacy Settings. Click on that and then uncheck Set Profile as Private and hit update.
Should be good to go now.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Should be good to go now.

Since you're in trade league, how many chaos and exalts do you have? You're damage is very very low right now and I'm pretty sure we can easily get you 10-20x your current damage for not much investment. I just need an idea on where you're at currency wise.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Since you're in trade league, how many chaos and exalts do you have? You're damage is very very low right now and I'm pretty sure we can easily get you 10-20x your current damage for not much investment. I just need an idea on where you're at currency wise.
I have about 55 chaos and no exalts. And to think I just increased my DPS by 30% last week.

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Anyone got time to look through my gems? I found mistakes that I was making and wanted to be sure there weren't others. I had mana and life leech on minions and didn't realize the leech was going to them not me. I've finished the Acts and Tier 1 maps. Currently at Lvl 80 with 3035HP and 755 Mana.

Helmet: Summon Ice Golem - Faster Attack Support - Tectonic Slam - Fist of War
Armor: Vaal Double strike - Increased Crit Support - Ancestral Call Support - Melee Physical Damage Support - Multistrike Support, War banner
Gloves: Herald of Purity - Added Fire Damage Support - Assassin's Mark - Minion Damage Support
Boots: Life Leech - Mana Leech - Damage on full life - Riposte
Axe1: Steelskin- Cast when dmg taken - Dash
Axe2: Endurance charge on melee stun - Frenzy - Melee Splash Support

Almost 90% of my attacks are double strike with Vaal double strike for tougher fights. I use the Slam for big groups. Goal for upgrade is to get a 6 link for my armor and add in Faster Attack.
i see a lot of things that shouldn't be there.
- you should have 1 attack as a 6-link, at most 2 (1 aoe clearing 1 single-target bossing). so double strike/tactonic slam i would pick tactonic as my 6 link. link it to multistrike, added fire ( check also controlled destcution), pulverise, melee phys, ele dmg with attacks (only if you get additional phys->fire conversion), fortify support if you need extra defense (which you always do in POE ;) )
- you dont want anything linked to your auras/heralds - that would make them reserve more.
- put steelskin as your left-mouse button skill (that you use for walking) and that will auto-cast it as you walk. no need for CWDT there.
- pick one Hex/Curse/mark - you can't have more than one on an enemy anyways.
- golem's fine, dash is aiight, i always pick flame dash/leap slam.
- get rid of all the rest - leeches, endurance charge, splash (maybe with ancestral call in your 6-link double strike?), riposte, damage on full life, minion damage...
- get a totem! ancestral warchief+multiple totems support(+optional brutality+melee phys). totems are mainly for bossing and ultimatums.
- get more auras! a low lvl precision unless you are Resolute Technique, vitality if you need it, Flesh&Stone, Blood&Sand, Pride, Herald of Ash (if you choose tactonic slam)
- warcries are nice, jus' sayin'. try infernal warcry if you go tactonic slam.

that is all i can say without looking at your gear. good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: JTsyo

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I won't go over again what Borealis mentioned nor will I critique your tree beyond redirecting you a bit. I'm just going to give you suggestions on what to purchase and small passive tree changes you can make to get your DPS up. That way you can make it further in the game for right now.

Your current DPS right now while clearing maps with all your buffs up is roughly 99k. My changes move your DPS up to 400k. If you gem swap Ancestral Call to Ruthless for bosses it goes to 550k.

Here are the changes you need to make on a 50c budget:

- Buy a 5R-1G six link with decent life and some resists for 20c or less. You should put Lacerate, Brutality, Fortify Support, Multistrike, Melee Physical, Ancestral Call ( Gem Swap this for Ruthless on tough bosses). The body armours in this link have an empty suffix so that you can craft an additional resist that you may need.
Link to trade: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ultimatum/KmnrmlPS5

- Upgrade your axes to something in the 325 DPS range with good attack speed and accuracy. If you see one that has chance to bleed or blind on hit show up on this list then grab one of those. The axes on this list have an empty suffix. So you can craft accuracy if they don't have it or another damage mod if they do. Buy 2 of these and replace your current axes.
Link to trade: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ultimatum/2pLmlB5Ik

- Remove all of your auras and only use Pride, War Banner and Herald of Purity by themselves in a 3 link

- Get rid of your mana flask and put in a Lion's Roar. If you look under the Vaal Pact node you will see a life and mana leech node wheel. The very first node is called Life and Mana leech and it gives you both. Putting one point into that gets you all the mana you need.
Link to trade: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ultimatum/yYmeuR

- Amulet with physical damage, life, resists and accuracy
Link to trade: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ultimatum/oG2GpQZUl

- Cheap belt with high life and a lot of resists
Link to trade: https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ultimatum/yBwBVeBIR

- You have high attack speed so your best movement skill is leap slam. Do a 3 Link with Leap Slam, Faster Attack and Lifetap and dump dash.

Here are the changes for your tree. Since you're Lacerate and a Gladiator you need to focus on bleeding and not critical strike. Here are the changes you should make to your tree to get you more in line with that.

tree.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JTsyo

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Thanks guys. I've got the gems and I'm going to level them up a bit before switching over. It looks like I'll have empty slots, I should just leave them empty? I see the armor suggested has armor for stats, does it matter if I go with armor or evasion? Is it best to have all 3 or concentrate on one?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Thanks guys. I've got the gems and I'm going to level them up a bit before switching over. It looks like I'll have empty slots, I should just leave them empty? I see the armor suggested has armor for stats, does it matter if I go with armor or evasion? Is it best to have all 3 or concentrate on one?

I removed Int from the armour just to make sure you have the attribute requirements to wear it. You can pick any armour that shows up on the trade list I posted and the difference in defense for you will be minimal. For gem setups you want 6L main skill, Aura setup, movement setup, cast when damage taken setup and a totem setup. I didn't mention a totem setup because I didn't want to get too involved and just getting you a base DPS increase was the main goal.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Sorry, I just realized I wrote Lacerate instead of Double Strike in my post. Try them both and play whatever one you find the most fun. Lacerate doesn't support Ancestral Call though as it's not a Strike skill. So if you do find yourself liking that skill more then dump Ancestral Call for Ruthless.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I removed Int from the armour just to make sure you have the attribute requirements to wear it. You can pick any armour that shows up on the trade list I posted and the difference in defense for you will be minimal. For gem setups you want 6L main skill, Aura setup, movement setup, cast when damage taken setup and a totem setup. I didn't mention a totem setup because I didn't want to get too involved and just getting you a base DPS increase was the main goal.
Putting it together, I see that ancestral call doesn't work with Lacerate, should I jsut run Ruthless all the time or is there a better option?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Putting it together, I see that ancestral call doesn't work with Lacerate, should I jsut run Ruthless all the time or is there a better option?

If you stick with Double Strike you can run Ancestral Call to clear and swap to Ruthless on tougher bosses. If you decide to go with Lacerate then you can just run Ruthless or Maim Support instead of Ancestral Call. Damage is going to be pretty similar between Double and Lacerate at your level so play the one that feels the best to you.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I had switch over to Lacerate since it reaches out a bit better. I'll put Ruthless on it.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
If you stick with Double Strike you can run Ancestral Call to clear and swap to Ruthless on tougher bosses. If you decide to go with Lacerate then you can just run Ruthless or Maim Support instead of Ancestral Call. Damage is going to be pretty similar between Double and Lacerate at your level so play the one that feels the best to you.
SHould I also be running blood and sand with Lacerate?

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
SHould I also be running blood and sand with Lacerate?

Sure. I would drop Herald of Purity for it. That way you can swap between blood stance and sand stance depending on when you want more AOE or more damage.

You may also want to replace your Sorrow Etcher Axe with a Jack, The Axe. It should help a bit while leveling. It has a skill that you can activate called Thirst for Blood that reserves 10% of your life but gives a bit more damage and massive life regen when bleeding monsters are nearby. They're pretty cheap if you want to test one out. Be sure to unallocate Vaal Pact though as it disables life regen.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Alright I'm back for a bit more advice. I'm up to level 89 and been doing Tier 11and 12 maps as long as the mods aren't crazy. But when I tried to take on the queen in the area that opens with the 4 map fragments, I get one hit killed. My HP is around 3.6k, the wiki recommends 4k to take her on. I have a ring that I can replace. What is the best type of ring I can get for my situation? Anything else I can do to improve my survivability?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Alright I'm back for a bit more advice. I'm up to level 89 and been doing Tier 11and 12 maps as long as the mods aren't crazy. But when I tried to take on the queen in the area that opens with the 4 map fragments, I get one hit killed. My HP is around 3.6k, the wiki recommends 4k to take her on. I have a ring that I can replace. What is the best type of ring I can get for my situation? Anything else I can do to improve my survivability?
yeah....no. thats Atziri, she will one-shot you no matter what (well maybe regular Atziri won't but Uber Atziri will). you can still kill her, but you can't get hit. dodge everything, stay out of the circles, get to know the mechanichs. welcome to bossing in POE in 2021.

i don't bother with her, the rewards are so bad. maybe i'll go there just to see if my build is tanky enough.