Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
My main cause of death is my addiction to triggering chests no matter the location or their specs.

As a sidenote, in just about every prior league standard becomes almost vacant when the league starts up. This time around there has always been quite a few people in standard. At least as crowded now as in the league (softcore for each).

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
With BV, chests mods are meaningless. Well, except for corpse explosion I suppose. I have curse immune, freeze immune, and tons of leech.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Finally got the gf's beast fur shawl 6L. Also dropped consuming dark for a decay wand with more spell damage. Decay shits on poison for an ed build. It's like hitting the boss/rare with a second, level 22 ED in addition to the actual ED.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Finally got the gf's beast fur shawl 6L. Also dropped consuming dark for a decay wand with more spell damage. Decay shits on poison for an ed build. It's like hitting the boss/rare with a second, level 22 ED in addition to the actual ED.

Very nice, so the damage is that strong?
On another note, I finally hit level 20 for my Gems (first time ever).
Tried corrupting my Arc to lvl 21 but it just stayed lvl 20 and dropped quality to 15%, could have been worse. Still have another one leveling, will try that as well
or just save up for lvl 21 Arc gem

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Decay is a 1000dps base dot and scales with all the same stats as ED when applied by ED. Level 20 ED is like an 800dps dot baseline.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I fired up POE for the first time in months today -- played standard with old character.
What I learned: Maps are now round? and I shouldn't have skipped this league. I love maps.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wait -- is Atlas of Worlds an expansion? Am I too late to start up a character (and make it far?)
Or should I just wait a little while longer.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I fired up POE for the first time in months today -- played standard with old character.
What I learned: Maps are now round? and I shouldn't have skipped this league. I love maps.
Essence league is OK but a lot of people dumped it for standard pretty fast. Personally I never really sat down and figured out what they are good for.

You can (and must) play the Atlas of Worlds in standard now. The old maps still work. The new map system is quite a bit different and a lot of the maps have changed. Here are two links which give some info on the new maps:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/51eay0/map_bosses_list_24/

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
so even with a lvl 90 in standard, I need to do a level 1 map?

I guess I dont get how to get the Atlas started.

Last edited:

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
so even with a lvl 90 in standard, I need to do a level 1 map?

I guess I dont get how to get the Atlas started.

The Atlas quest line starts randomly (afaik) its a scripted event in a map.
The Atlas is in place to increase the chance of maps dropping. You only need to run the maps once following the requirements.
Tier 1-5 need to be run as magic rolled, 5-10 need to be run Alched and Tier 11-16 must be run Alched and Corrupted.
There are a tremendous amount of new maps and Bosses are not the same for a lot of them, Volcano for instance became a tier 14 instead of a tier 10.
You also get Shapers orbs that can turn a map and make it a tier 5 levels higher. (Very useful when you like certain layouts)
There are new challenges and in order to open up the chance to kill the Shaper you need to follow a quest line and beat bosses in the Tier 16 maps.
All in all, if you like Mapping, you will love the new expansion.
I am up to 92/126 :)

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Thanks X!
Mapping is/was pretty much the last part of the game I enjoyed so this seems right up my alley.
Did a couple of quick level 1 maps last night with my (nerffed) level 90 Sparker. Might have to use my South Paw Reave instead as that spark is just too nerfed sadly.
Maybe next league I will get started at the ground floor with a new build -- seems late in the game to start in this league.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
So I haven't managed to play much since I've been travelling. I was doing around tier 5-6 maps and kinda got stuck around there. More than enough dps but the build is too glass cannon. I went back to doing lower tier maps to level up and also collect currency and maps. I've got 2 exalts and around 150 chaos orbs (using 2 chaos recipe and low level essences for 1 chaos recipe), but I'm still looking for something nice to buy.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks X!
Mapping is/was pretty much the last part of the game I enjoyed so this seems right up my alley.
Did a couple of quick level 1 maps last night with my (nerffed) level 90 Sparker. Might have to use my South Paw Reave instead as that spark is just too nerfed sadly.
Maybe next league I will get started at the ground floor with a new build -- seems late in the game to start in this league.

The new mapping system is nice if you're not one to cry about efficiency being the greatest (only unlocking then "good" maps and such). I think once I hit t10, I never fell below that as far as map pool and only did lower tiers when I needed to unlock them. I almost always had t11+ to run and maps dropped a lot more.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The new mapping system is nice if you're not one to cry about efficiency being the greatest (only unlocking then "good" maps and such). I think once I hit t10, I never fell below that as far as map pool and only did lower tiers when I needed to unlock them. I almost always had t11+ to run and maps dropped a lot more.

That's AWESOME. the old map system stunk because... well there really wasn't a "system" per se. You just did maps and hoped that additional maps dropped (and they were of higher level). This way sounds like the level is sustainable so you're not stuck running out of maps at your toon's level.

Now I want to find an extra hour in the day to play. And make a new toon too! What s the suggested one for me? Totem build of some sort :)

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
That's AWESOME. the old map system stunk because... well there really wasn't a "system" per se. You just did maps and hoped that additional maps dropped (and they were of higher level). This way sounds like the level is sustainable so you're not stuck running out of maps at your toon's level.

Now I want to find an extra hour in the day to play. And make a new toon too! What s the suggested one for me? Totem build of some sort :)

You still just run maps and hope additional maps drop. The Atlas is just a visual representation that you can add mods to like they did with the skill tree and jewels. It also provides a bonus chance to drop higher maps based on how much you've unlocked. It's not near as cool as it should have been.

I quit Essence league because I couldn't sustain T5 maps... Now on Standard with my level 8 Zana I can sustain 12 and 13's pretty well but after running about 150 I still haven't reached T16. So for some of us the Atlas is just pretty and doesn't really provide anything else. I'm apparently on the unlucky side of things though since GGG is saying Essence has been their most successful league yet.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
You still just run maps and hope additional maps drop. The Atlas is just a visual representation that you can add mods to like they did with the skill tree and jewels. It also provides a bonus chance to drop higher maps based on how much you've unlocked. It's not near as cool as it should have been.

I quit Essence league because I couldn't sustain T5 maps... Now on Standard with my level 8 Zana I can sustain 12 and 13's pretty well but after running about 150 I still haven't reached T16. So for some of us the Atlas is just pretty and doesn't really provide anything else. I'm apparently on the unlucky side of things though since GGG is saying Essence has been their most successful league yet.
If you couldn't sustain t5 you either gave up way too fast or were doing it very very wrong.

I've hit t14 maps despite my playtime being split with WoW and LoL. Almost up to 100 maps unlocked.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
If you couldn't sustain t5 you either gave up way too fast or were doing it very very wrong.

I've hit t14 maps despite my playtime being split with WoW and LoL. Almost up to 100 maps unlocked.

Oh I did give up... It's difficult to describe a map pool's progression but Ill try. I actually hit 3 cartographers in T5 maps but dropped back to T3 each time. I ran a T8 once during this run, and most of the T5+ maps I ran were rares to get the atlas unlock. Overall I probably ran 40 - 60 T4 and T5 maps with 10 T6's and less than 5 T7's. This was early in the league when a lot of people were getting stuck and there was a patch that supposedly fixed it but by then I was pretty burnt out.

I have around 100 unlocked on standard but I can't get T16 maps to drop which is super frustrating, even though it's great having 12's and 13's now. I just feel like the new content is unreachable and that the Atlas is a huge failure even though I know it's been well received by most of the population.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I didn't have a situation at all similar. I pretty much powered through to t7 with the expectation I'd have to buy maps to sustain but wanted the unlocks. Once I hit yellows, I never was missing any near the tier I was running. Once I hit reds, I could do t10+ with little problem. Now, I didn't go higher than t13, but that was mostly due to just casually playing the league and not caring about pushing higher while leveling.

I actually only have around 50 unlocked.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Hit 107 on the Atlas last night and my 4th Exalt dropped. :D
Problem now though is the Unique high tier maps are stupid expensive. Will farm Tier 14's to hopefully get Tier 15's to drop. :cool:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well I just came back to the game this past weekend. Trying to remember half this complicated game that got even more complicated since I last played in some ways.

I started fresh with the SC Essence League with a new toon. Made a Scion because I didn't have one before. Up to Act 3 Normal at the moment and doing alright I guess. Although I could have tried HC as I haven't died yet :) Yah yah, I know it's easy to this, but I'm basically a noob again and jumped straight in without reading too much on how to play again. Still for a dad with a 2 year and a d newborn 3 week old girl, I think I did alright with reaching level 34 in the few hours of play time I've had since this weekend :D

I can't exactly remember the last time I played, but it was beta and shortly after for a time. Back then the two big probs with the game were stun disconnects, which now seem a thing of the past, and chaos damage on higher difficulties being retarded. Not sure how big of an issue the later is compared to when I last played, but it seems like it isn't so bad anymore. Any input on that for me?

Really though just trying to remember as I am currently leveling what to pick up and what not to bother with. Basically what I've gone for is blues and above rarity, any orb, any superior flask, and anything three color linked item at the moment. Forgot how much I both like and dislike the non-coin based eco system in this game.

Last edited: