Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 72 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Made it up to 86 today, got off work super early and put 12+ hours in :) Killed Atziri a few times, Uber Izaro a few times, Council once, and some T12/13 maps.

Sitting on 20 challenges, with the ability to hit 36 if all goes well. Will be close.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Expansion looks good, but imo, the league looks terrible. Reskinned strong boxes and tiered chaos orb crafting doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably play, because why not, but I'll be about as casual as I am this league. Why can't we have something interesting like Beyond again?

Pretty sure they're focused on the expansion. Kinda what happened with perandus and the lab.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Cleaned that up for you z1ggy. Maybe lock your phone next time?

Anandtech Administrator
Keithtalent

Last edited by a moderator:

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Cleaned this one up too...

Anandtech Administrator
Keithtalent

Last edited by a moderator:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Haha looks like it. Hit 28 challenges today. Should finish up 36 pretty easily. And Xiandre said I couldn't do it last week ;)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
^_^ I stopped at 24. Don't care for the monkey. I'll probably do blade fall poison trap (barring nerfs) and do the same. This league doesn't look as fun as the expansion overall so I'll probably grind my MTX out and go back to standard.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yeah I don't like the monkey either. I'll have zana at 8 after this league rolls over, I want a headhunter!!

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I honestly think Essence League sounds great, have you seen some of the crafting shenanigans people have already been theorycrafting on reddit?

Via level 8 master metamods you can literally craft a 4 essence item, or more relevantly alt spam a T1 affix then use master metamods to force on a synergistic T1 affix.

I foresee people like me actually being able to get ~900ES regalias in Essence, for example.

The +5% base crit in gloves mod from essences also should be very interesting for gimmicky builds - my favorite >_>

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I honestly think Essence League sounds great, have you seen some of the crafting shenanigans people have already been theorycrafting on reddit?

Via level 8 master metamods you can literally craft a 4 essence item, or more relevantly alt spam a T1 affix then use master metamods to force on a synergistic T1 affix.

I foresee people like me actually being able to get ~900ES regalias in Essence, for example.

The +5% base crit in gloves mod from essences also should be very interesting for gimmicky builds - my favorite >_>
The problem is all those require tier 7+ when only t5 drops (at most) and i'm sure it weighted random like everything else in PoE, so you're going to be stacking up like 125 t1s just to trade them up to a t7 for a single change at a mod. And, maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they work like alchs on white items and chaos on magic items.

Jax, did you foresee you getting the best talismans in Talisman? Because, it is going to be just as grinding, if not more so. I just don't see it as something anyone but the no life, end game by day 2-3 guys are able to even remotely afford (just like all crafting). Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it being anything other than hype for no reason, ala Divination cards.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Eh it'd only be 9 t5's for a t7 correct? I bet t5 are not that super rare. I do see the top tier crafting being crazy expensive though. Hopefully some of that will trickle down. Was trying to mess around on standard but really nothing I wanna start fresh with. Guess I'll sit out a few weeks :)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So, from what it looks like T1-T5 can drop, but I don't expect T5s so be as common as say Chaos Orbs. So, you will find a few, but you are going to have to simply get the mass amount of T1s you're getting to trade up. I imagine it is going to be like Divination cards for things like currency. Sure, you "can" get 5 mirrors, but the weighted random BS is going to make it far more likely you're getting 5 alts.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
True I guess we'll see soon enough. I bet the real pros will stockpile a crap load of the best and hold on for a long time of these are not part of the core game after.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
My intended plan is to trade unwanted T5-7 essences for the ones I do want.

T1-4 essences work like an alch, T5 I am unsure, T6/7 work like an alch or chaos as appropriate.

What I'm talking about is the idea of alt-spamming a desired non-essence-capable top-tier mod on an item, let's say a prefix, regalling, then crafting "prefixes cannot be changed" from a level 8 master, then using the essence. "Prefix/Suffixes cannot be changed" do not prevent the addition of more mods of their category, they only prevent the existing ones being changed (has been tested/confirmed with both exalts and chaos already).

This will allow, for example, crafting a Flaring weapon and essencing Merciless onto it, etc, at the cost of a couple exalts for the metamod.

Or, in my case, buying 6L Vaal Regalias for a couple exalts, then getting crazy ES on them. In prior leagues a 6L with 800+ ES cost at least 20 exalts, even if it had no other desireable mods. In this league, you can make one yourself for ~8ex.

THAT is why I'm excited about Essence. I can make 8ex in a week. 20ex was nearly 3 weeks of play, at which point I burned out on a character.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Eh it won't be as easy as you'd hope but I think some great gear will come out of the league. Just more RNG. Like chaos spamming.

I've made some pretty nice items chaos spamming. If you could force once affix it could make it easier.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah I will still play it because I prefer League play but I am disappointed in the mechanic now.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
If the MTX are good, I'll play it just enough to get those and then either play standard or not play until next one.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
With the lackluster league mechanic, no free uniques, and rumored CoC nerfs (possibly the only viable melee skill ask well: eq), I'm predicting this is going to be a huge failure of a league. It won't retain nearly the player base of Perandus, or even Prophecy. PoE is going to start the slope of dying. Reddit already wants to clear content slower, and I refuse to do D3 "it takes a party of 4 10 minutes to clear a single pack" end game. It's sad, really.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
With the lackluster league mechanic, no free uniques, and rumored CoC nerfs (possibly the only viable melee skill ask well: eq), I'm predicting this is going to be a huge failure of a league. It won't retain nearly the player base of Perandus, or even Prophecy. PoE is going to start the slope of dying. Reddit already wants to clear content slower, and I refuse to do D3 "it takes a party of 4 10 minutes to clear a single pack" end game. It's sad, really.

I'm pretty sure one poor/bad league won't start PoE on the path to death. PoE has had bad leagues before (shrines anyone?). People always come back because it blows away every other ARPG out there right now. The Atlas will help retain players even if "crafting league" is a failure. I may even play some of my standard characters if I dislike the new league.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I've been messing around on standard a bit. Only one of my old toons is still relevant there, the rest have seen nerfs.

I'm hopping standard does see some more action though, I'd like to sell some semi-expensive gear.