Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
2) Currency/Worth of items. It's cool being new to a game where you're still learning, but this is an area that is a must. I'm using certain guides to see what items they're using, etc... but knowing what makes an item worth something is necessary for trading and obviously improving your char. The obvious ones are max life and resist, but it seems there's a lot to learn in this area....

I've played PoE on and off since beta and I still have a tough time valuing items, and it changes month to month with flavor of the month and patch changes. The whole game is so damn complex that after a 6 month break it's fairly daunting to get caught up.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I put no effort into learning item values. poe(DOT)trade is your friend-I look up everything before putting it on my trade page and if it hasn't moved for a while recheck values.

Certain items are extremely valuable at the beginning of a league but drop a lot as time goes on. Learning values is a waste of time as they fluctuate quite a bit over time.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I put no effort into learning item values. poe(DOT)trade is your friend-I look up everything before putting it on my trade page and if it hasn't moved for a while recheck values.

Certain items are extremely valuable at the beginning of a league but drop a lot as time goes on. Learning values is a waste of time as they fluctuate quite a bit over time.

This is what I've been doing. I've bought some stuff from there as well. I still miss the old D2 trading channels. Having to keep minimizing the game is annoying .... but I guess a minimal problem in the whole scheme of things. I need to look into setting up a shop to sell some things. Found a few uniques that are 8C+ along with a nice few rares.

Also, if anyone wants to carry merc lab for me ... that'd be awesome :D (SC, Prophecy)

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
This is what I've been doing. I've bought some stuff from there as well. I still miss the old D2 trading channels. Having to keep minimizing the game is annoying .... but I guess a minimal problem in the whole scheme of things. I need to look into setting up a shop to sell some things. Found a few uniques that are 8C+ along with a nice few rares.

Also, if anyone wants to carry merc lab for me ... that'd be awesome :D (SC, Prophecy)

If you're on later tonight I can.

New league hints point to a crafting league, so 99% of the player base won't be participating. If it's anything like Warbands or Talisman I will probably just mess around in standard.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
If you're on later tonight I can.

New league hints point to a crafting league, so 99% of the player base won't be participating. If it's anything like Warbands or Talisman I will probably just mess around in standard.

Yea, I'll be on probably 8 or so est. It's an easy way to end a day.

Are those pop-ups that I've been getting in-game related to the new league? It's like they're trying to sell me crap where I can opt-in or say no thanks sorta thing. I've just been x'ing out, but it's becoming pretty annoying. I couldn't find an option to turn that off. Where are you getting these hints from and what does it mean to be a crafting league? And why won't people participate? I haven't played around with crafting at all. I just started getting into the maps. It's kind of boring by yourself, but there really aren't public parties that run those it seems. I'm assuming that's what leagues/friends are for :D

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
The pop ups are for races. There is currently a race season and rewards for points earned in those.

The hints are from the main site. There is a new currency that does some kind of crafting. And the reason crafting based league is inaccessible for most players is because crafting is just not worth the currency investment. Having a decent 4 prop rare isn't worth spending an exalt in the hopes you get a good property and a good roll. The value of an exalt is more than 99.9% of the rolls you're getting to get by using an exalt. And, if you played in Warbands, getting decent items with a special mod to craft is very hard, as you need a good base and iLvl to even want to craft. Talisman also had a very cumbersome method of getting high tier talismans and most players didn't take advantage of it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Heh started two days ago and hit 71/maps last night with a warchief build. Not sure how many challenges I wanna try for, the pet is kinda stupid in my opinion.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I stopped after 24. I am probably around 30, but the wep MTX was all I wanted.

I'm 2 for 2 on my Pale Council though. Gone from 75 to 84 in nothing but Uber lab. =(

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I stopped after 24. I am probably around 30, but the wep MTX was all I wanted.

I'm 2 for 2 on my Pale Council though. Gone from 75 to 84 in nothing but Uber lab. =(
Nice. Yeah my build should handle uber lab well once I get there. Still haven't even looked at pale council. It's clearing far quicker than I initially expected tough which is good.

Global 820 is incredibly generous with free lvl 8 masters runs so I'm leveling those far quicker than expected.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Heh started two days ago and hit 71/maps last night with a warchief build. Not sure how many challenges I wanna try for, the pet is kinda stupid in my opinion.

Sounds like you've learned a lot more about the game in 2 days than I have in 2 weeks - lol. I feel like, compared to D2 anyway, there are so many potential builds because of the ridiculous customization that's allowed with the links/spells/items available. We should run some maps together. I'm running a 78 tornado shot build ATM. Apparently it's a good intro/new build so I went with it.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Sounds like you've learned a lot more about the game in 2 days than I have in 2 weeks - lol. I feel like, compared to D2 anyway, there are so many potential builds because of the ridiculous customization that's allowed with the links/spells/items available. We should run some maps together. I'm running a 78 tornado shot build ATM. Apparently it's a good intro/new build so I went with it.

TallBill has been playing the game for a long time, not a fair comparison :)

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Man, my character is level 89 and I haven't done uberlab yet. (i'd be way over level 90 but for my addiction to triggering every strongbox no matter what).

I hate the labyrinth with a passion, it's the worst thing that ever happened to this game for slow movers like me. I keep saying to myself I will do the lab next time I level so the experience loss from repeated deaths won't be too bad but I keep putting it off.

I've been pursing prophecies and challenges with a passion plus I love to run unidentified rare maps for the challenge and the loot.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Man, my character is level 89 and I haven't done uberlab yet. (i'd be way over level 90 but for my addiction to triggering every strongbox no matter what).

I hate the labyrinth with a passion, it's the worst thing that ever happened to this game for slow movers like me. I keep saying to myself I will do the lab next time I level so the experience loss from repeated deaths won't be too bad but I keep putting it off.

I've been pursing prophecies and challenges with a passion plus I love to run unidentified rare maps for the challenge and the loot.

When you say 'uberlab' ... is that just lab in merciless? Or something more than that? Ack, there's so much to do/learn in this game! Haven't even touched prophecies/challenges, or created a hideout, or started crafting, or even hit 'end-game' status, or have done these atziri runs ..... whatever that is. (I think it's a map?) :D

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
When's the next league? Maybe I will start up again...
Didn't like the labyrinth league and prophecy was meh.

Not to mention, as I have said a hundred times, I just wish you could start doing maps right away. Running the story line (3 times) sucks.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
When you say 'uberlab' ... is that just lab in merciless? Or something more than that? Ack, there's so much to do/learn in this game! Haven't even touched prophecies/challenges, or created a hideout, or started crafting, or even hit 'end-game' status, or have done these atziri runs ..... whatever that is. (I think it's a map?) :D

Uber lab is another lab. It requires you to do maps and solve new trials (6 of them) and then using an offering (gotten from the trials) to enter. It gives two additional ascendency points and iLvl 75 enchants.

When's the next league? Maybe I will start up again...
Didn't like the labyrinth league and prophecy was meh.

Not to mention, as I have said a hundred times, I just wish you could start doing maps right away. Running the story line (3 times) sucks.
New league starts Sep 2nd. And, when Act 5 comes out (soon, hopefully), they are doing away with one difficult.

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Hehe yeah I've had maybe a dozen 80+ toons over the past few leagues. Still figuring stuff out but I think most of us are.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
The new expansion and the new league look like they should be amazing. Which build to go with...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Found a decent Ventor's last night. Low life, but positive everything else. Like 80 total res, 8% quant, 35% rarity.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Nice. Kinda wish I had my 2 that were similar that. Might try a MF build to start new league. Not sure which would be best though.

Reactions: z1ggy

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I am planning on making a dual apeps bladefall berserker, assuming no major poison nerfs. Apeps is always cheap and I love weird hipster builds.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I actually enjoyed my trapper :) Looking for an ES/CI build that can do all content and has a decent amount of rare items because of the new league potential.

Looking at a CI Bladefall as my #1 choice so far.

On a side note, if I ever manage to sell my ridiculous evasion chest crafted last league for like 35-40 ex I wanna do a higher priced build in standard.

Reactions: z1ggy

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Expansion looks good, but imo, the league looks terrible. Reskinned strong boxes and tiered chaos orb crafting doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll probably play, because why not, but I'll be about as casual as I am this league. Why can't we have something interesting like Beyond again?

Reactions: TallBill