Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I wouldn't say they play the same

let's say a 600 DPS bow is 1 shotting every pack and the 200 DPS bow requires 3 Tornado Shots per pack

that means the 200 DPS bow might need to do more kiting, the 200 DPS bow is leeching less, and the 200 DPS bow is more reliant on flasks to compensate

Exactly. Attack builds feel the same for a given attack skill *as long as you do enough damage*. Once your damage drops below 1-2 attacks per pack, you have to adjust how you play to avoid getting killed by the pack :p

I say this from recent experience playing a staff ground slam character. I leveled flame totem to 28 because of course I did, then I grabbed The Stormheart unique crit staff and got to go full Space Jam, but when the weapon stopped being strong enough (around A4 cruel), I had to drastically change how I approached packs, attacking once and moving every time, to avoid dying. Eventually I got a decent rare staff and went back to COME ON AND SLAM, then got Hegemony's Era at 68 and HOLY COW I CRIT NONSTOP attacking is just a wave of enemy shoving and death (crit = knockback node for staff is amazing).

The actual feel/playstyle changed depending on the relative power of my weapon to the content.

Spell builds only change feel/playstyle when they add a new link/better support. They require ZERO gear to "feel right", only the links matter, you can literally grab a random equippable 4L, even if it's white, and feel great leveling.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So are there any builds that are fun to level or do they all open up into or after second difficulty? In other words, will any of them really "work" during the first pass through the game on "normal" difficulty? Or do I have to complete it once before any of the synergies start kicking in?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
So are there any builds that are fun to level or do they all open up into or after second difficulty? In other words, will any of them really "work" during the first pass through the game on "normal" difficulty? Or do I have to complete it once before any of the synergies start kicking in?

Most spell builds have a fairly smooth transition from "crappy early" to "this feels right" midgame, without a sudden abrupt spike.

When GGG released 2.0, one of the big changes was revamping the levels that gems become available. You can get many good support gems in Acts 1 and 2 now, enough to support most basic spells quite nicely in a 3-4 link, which is all you'll have in Normal anyway.

If you're not a fan of the totem playstyle (I'm not), you might like:

Essence Drain + Contagion: damage-over-time combo caster (essence drain does the damage, contagion spreads the essence drain, dynamic 2-spell combo)
Arc: chain lightning. What more can I say?
Ball Lightning: shoot slow-moving orbs that hit repeatedly as they travel. AWESOME with knockback, because it keeps enemies in the orb longer.
Flameblast: charge up a giant single-hit explosion
Firestorm: make it rain fire, can stack in one area or cover a wide area with successive casts
Ethereal Knives/Bladefall: two different styles of "throw daggers at enemies". Both are great.
Summon Raging Spirits: summon short-lived fast-moving flaming skulls that bite your foes to death.

ALL of these spells work great when just paired with just two supports, and all of them scale well with the later-game supports such as Spell Echo, or with 4+ link setups.

Also, if it helps, every single spell I listed except Arc can be used to kill Atziri, one of the big endgame bosses... and Arc can do it with a different spell but same exact build (storm call). I've also omitted the more exotic spells such as Vaal Spark or Ice Nova because they don't work well in normal or require heavy twink gear to make good.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I also think I read that now most gems can be purchased in a shop somewhere instead of having to find them? Making it MUCH easier to gear up for a specific build, lol. Back when I played through in beta you had to find the gems above the very basic tier that were provided as quest rewards. So you might be halfway through leveling before you found a gem that you needed for the build.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yes, the non-armor vendor (the one that sells wands/potions/etc) has a second tab with many gems for sale in every act, more than the ones actually offered as quest rewards. More gems are unlocked as you complete quests. Each town's vendors have different gems for sale and gems offered vary somewhat from class to class.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
semi-random, there's several basic layouts of most areas, and the minor details (rocks, debris, barrels, etc) are completely random.

Ohh ok, Thanks. I initially thought that the layouts themselves were randomly generated. Thanks again.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I also think I read that now most gems can be purchased in a shop somewhere instead of having to find them? Making it MUCH easier to gear up for a specific build, lol. Back when I played through in beta you had to find the gems above the very basic tier that were provided as quest rewards. So you might be halfway through leveling before you found a gem that you needed for the build.

Here's a webpage that will help you out:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Reward_Gems

Once your character completes a quest you can buy the gem in town too, as posted above.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I wouldn't say they play the same

let's say a 600 DPS bow is 1 shotting every pack and the 200 DPS bow requires 3 Tornado Shots per pack

that means the 200 DPS bow might need to do more kiting, the 200 DPS bow is leeching less, and the 200 DPS bow is more reliant on flasks to compensate

They play identical in what most players are going to be experiencing: Dried Lake and low level maps. Understanding the mechanics of a build and how it feels to play it aren't entirely requiring of a "good" weapon. While it helps for things like elemental buzz saw, you get the gist of the play style simply with a fast weapon and spectral throw.

Your ranged builds are still going to be dependent on your own kiting and movement more so than character defenses.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
So I'm a little confused as to what weapon a Witch can use. Am I supposed to use wands or maces or a staff for that matter? Currently I'm using a wand with shields which have %spell damage and %intellect.
Also, I went the dual-totem way, so does %spell damage add to the totem damage or is it just pointless since my other spells don't do any damage?
Plus, is there any way to prevent clicking on loot while in the middle of a fight? I keep picking stuff up while misclicking during a fight. I'm a noob, so apologies in advance if these are silly questions.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So I'm a little confused as to what weapon a Witch can use. Am I supposed to use wands or maces or a staff for that matter? Currently I'm using a wand with shields which have %spell damage and %intellect.
Also, I went the dual-totem way, so does %spell damage add to the totem damage or is it just pointless since my other spells don't do any damage?
Plus, is there any way to prevent clicking on loot while in the middle of a fight? I keep picking stuff up while misclicking during a fight. I'm a noob, so apologies in advance if these are silly questions.

You can either use the 1h+shield for a bit of extra defense, dual wands/sceptre or 2hander.
Personally I chose the 1H+Shield.
Spell damage, elemental damage and fire damage all contribute to your fire totem dps, however the level of the gem has by far the greatest impact.
Linking support gems with the fire totem gem will also push the Dps up a decent amount.
Fire penetration wont add visual dps to the tooltip dps but it will increase your DPS against elemental resist/fire resist mobs.

As far as loot is concerned, download NEVERSINK loot filter.
It will filter out the rubbish so you only see useful stuff.
Initially this will include white level items as their Item level is higher and using a Alteration orb or Alchemy orb on them might provide a decent piece of gear for leveling.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Even with a loot filter you can pick up junk on accident. I believe there is a setting to force you to hold a button to loot.

And, as far as what a witch should hold, is entirely dependent on your build. Honestly, I'd go spirit shield and dagger. You may lose some spell damage, but whirling blades > fortify makes up for it 100 fold.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think every one of my builds has had the attack as the right mouse button and move as the left so I never have had a problem with accidentally picking things up.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think every one of my builds has had the attack as the right mouse button and move as the left so I never have had a problem with accidentally picking things up.

I am basically the exact same for my primary skill. The "Move Only" action is real nice, since you don't accidentally stop to attack mobs you click.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Protip: if using a self-cast Golem, put the golem on left click.

Left click becomes move-only with summon golem on shift-leftclick

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999

Options -> UI -> Key Pickup. Change it from default to Use Bound Key(F). It will save your life trust me :) Too many times I would accidentally click on loot during a fight forcing me to move into a place I didn't want to.

The other thing you can do is press Z to hide the loot. Very useful during those fights were adds just keep on coming and the loot fills the entire screen.

Last edited:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
And, as far as what a witch should hold, is entirely dependent on your build. Honestly, I'd go spirit shield and dagger. You may lose some spell damage, but whirling blades > fortify makes up for it 100 fold.

I never ever imagined a dagger would do well on a "mage" kind of character. Guess it's all these years of playing games which allow you to use only a certain type of weapon for a certain class.

And thank you everybody for your replies. Will try some of these tips.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I never ever imagined a dagger would do well on a "mage" kind of character. Guess it's all these years of playing games which allow you to use only a certain type of weapon for a certain class.

And thank you everybody for your replies. Will try some of these tips.

Yeah, it seems "off", but daggers can roll spell caster stats. Now, wands will be better at the top end, but you lose Whirling Blades.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
So I scored a nice pair of Energy boots for 6 Chaos 3 Regal
Pays to be patient :)

2rqnjip.jpg

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Is there a good guide somewhere about how it works in general? I've been playing on and off since release and am currently back in but I am having a hard time figuring if I've just messed up my character.

I'm playing the assassin type and concentrating on traps and mines but I have no idea which gems I should match to this or which passive skills to put my points in (other than the mine/trap damage. I'm using the fire mine so spend my time running around and doing damage over time but as I level up (I'm 49 I think) it's starting to take forever to kill a boss.

Another problem I also don't know what equipment I should be using- how can you tell if something is better or not, do you just look at dps or armor? In Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn it's pretty clear if something is an improvement but here I have a had time telling. So because I have no idea, I'm concentrating on magic find right now to find better items. I wish there was a market because the whole currency thing confuses me and the trade channel is spammed so much its hard to find anything!

And what about linked sockets, do support gems impact every other gem or are there some that are specific to other types?

Would it just be easier to find a class guide and follow it to the letter? I'm not a big fan of that because then everyone is identical, but no doubt someone calculated the best of everything and that's still what you should use...

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Is there a good guide somewhere about how it works in general? I've been playing on and off since release and am currently back in but I am having a hard time figuring if I've just messed up my character.

I'm playing the assassin type and concentrating on traps and mines but I have no idea which gems I should match to this or which passive skills to put my points in (other than the mine/trap damage. I'm using the fire mine so spend my time running around and doing damage over time but as I level up (I'm 49 I think) it's starting to take forever to kill a boss.

Another problem I also don't know what equipment I should be using- how can you tell if something is better or not, do you just look at dps or armor? In Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn it's pretty clear if something is an improvement but here I have a had time telling. So because I have no idea, I'm concentrating on magic find right now to find better items. I wish there was a market because the whole currency thing confuses me and the trade channel is spammed so much its hard to find anything!

And what about linked sockets, do support gems impact every other gem or are there some that are specific to other types?

Would it just be easier to find a class guide and follow it to the letter? I'm not a big fan of that because then everyone is identical, but no doubt someone calculated the best of everything and that's still what you should use...

Personally I suggest you follow a class guide.
Follow the ones that have video guides such as Ziggy. (just search youtube)
It takes the guess work out of picking the right skills etc and explains how to gem and link gear.
There are soooo many different builds that you would never need to worry about having the same build.
There are variations upon variation, upon variation...so many you cannot count.
Also for those of us really into POE, we have many toons. :D

Jax Omen would be a good person to talk to in regards to tips and tricks.
We have a very basic guild in the game if you feel like joining.
Its very chill and we dump gear in guild stash to use as you level.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Gems have "tags", such as "spell", "trap", "projectile", "attack", "melee", etc.

Support gems, with VERY VERY VERY few exceptions, match skills that share tags.

(Exceptions: Leap Slam and Ice Crash cannot be supported by multistrike, Frenzy has "melee" tag but can only be supported by Multistrike if actually using it with a melee weapon, not a ranged weapon, since Frenzy works with both)

Market: http://poe.trade

Generally, for a fire nova mine character, you will want (for a 4 link): Fire Nova Mine - Trap and Mine Damage - Controlled Destruction - Faster Casting (makes the repeat novas much faster).

Support gems give skills multiplicative scaling, which is how damage gets out of control.

As a new player, PLEASE do not underestimate the value of LIFE. You want at least 150% increased life from your passive tree. At level 49 you want to be around 1500-2000 life minimum. By level 70 you want at least 4000 life.

For Fire Nova Mine, passives to take for damage are AoE passives, elemental/fire passives, and mine passives. Make sure you pick up the "clever construction" notable, it prevents your mines from being killed by random AoE damage the moment you drop them.

Another thing you can do is to link a level 1 "Cast When Damage Taken" to a white "Detonate Mines" gem (check poe.trade, it shouldn't cost too much because mines are unpopular) in a separate link from your main skill. You can now focus on dropping mines and kiting, they will auto-detonate if you get hit (and you can still manually detonate when needed!)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
So one of my friends got a Voltaxic Rift, but he's working overtime for the next couple months so he gave it to me to play with.

Bought a Rigwald's Quills quiver, respecced my shadow to a crit voltaxic build, with one Volley Fire gem (I'll have another in a few levels, but I need those levels first).

OH MY GOD this quiver is so good. I have a Voltaxic in standard but without the quiver it feels like just a generic archer build. 1x Volley Fire is like a free LMP without the damage penalty, 2x Volley Fire will be like a free GMP without damage penalty. Quiver is free fork without a damage penalty, plus the quiver has like 30-50% projectile damage (mine is like 48%).

It feels like I'm using an 8L Barrage. Barrage tooltip lies and only counts one projectile per volley, tooltip is nearly 10k dps, so my actual dps is currently about 40k. This is with level 11 gems and shit-tier jewelry. I can't wait to open this build up when I get home from work :p

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

This is the best set of tips I can give:

Every build needs max resists (chaos can be ignored, but it's nice to have).
Pick a health pool and mitigation type and stick with it. This is arguably more important than DPS. You do 0 DPS when you're dead.
The more uniques you're build uses, the more expensive the rest of your gear is going to be. Most uniques don't have resist, life, etc so you need extra amounts on rare gear.