Path of Exile 2.0 - Discussion

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
I think I put 700-800hrs in on softcore before I graduated to HC. Things are so much more intense when you can't die :) You make more currency in HC because things are more valuable. (aside from items like the abysuss which hold no value in HC).

And when you do die you get to reroll and use all that loot you have saved up. In SC it just feels like nothing matters :/

( I try and convert everyone I know to HC ) :)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think I put 700-800hrs in on softcore before I graduated to HC. Things are so much more intense when you can't die :) You make more currency in HC because things are more valuable. (aside from items like the abysuss which hold no value in HC).

And when you do die you get to reroll and use all that loot you have saved up. In SC it just feels like nothing matters :/

I've played a lot of HC in Diablo (in the old days) and off/on in Torchlight. Haven't rolled a POE HC character yet though. It's appealing... need to find some killer tank build though.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
"Took issues with the interface"? Do you mean the chained-up girls that used to be on the life/mana orbs? I remember a brouhaha about that when they changed it.

Yes, that is what I took issue with. I know a few guys flipped out because they changed it. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't like the idea of women being depicted as sex object slaves. For that matter, I don't like the idea of any human being depicted that way. To me, that is a perverted sense of value. The rest of the Greek museum art is the game is just fine. Just those two orbs bothered me and instead of complaining to GGG, I just stopped playing the game. When they removed them, I started back up. Simple as that.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
I've played a lot of HC in Diablo (in the old days) and off/on in Torchlight. Haven't rolled a POE HC character yet though. It's appealing... need to find some killer tank build though.

Hehe :) When you do lmk. I'll be playing again in the new leagues on the 11th.

In HC I completely avoid certain maps and map mods. Anything with added damage, any of the dangerous bosses, almost no rare maps..depending on the mods. I always just roll magic maps and run with safe mods. And I've learned to be ok with dying. I usually have my next toon planned out depending on the drops I've had.

Most of the PoE streamers play on HC so it can be pretty easy to learn the does and don'ts of HC.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Forgot to mention too, I had Portal and Enhance gems drop the other night.
I was wondering how people in videos had a portal in their mouse setup -- had no idea it existed.

Enhance is an interesting gem.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

You make a compelling case. Though playing in softcore allows you to become familiar with all the mechanics and bosses and difficult parts of the game, making your HC all the more rounded and skilled and enjoyable... Starting out with HC would be incredably discouraging.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I honestly never noticed the health/mana girls until people went insane at their removal. Was too busy looking at the red/blue indicators and the shit trying to kill me to notice the art I guess :p

I don't understand the uproar on either side though. I can't comprehend being upset at the change from one gothic piece of art to another, and I can't comprehend being upset over female statues being chained up... in a game where women are literally corrupted into tentacled tit-shaking, laser-shooting monstrosities at the whims of a power-mad pope and his prostitute.

It's just such a non-issue that feeling strongly one way or the other just makes people look unhinged IMO.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
You make a compelling case. Though playing in softcore allows you to become familiar with all the mechanics and bosses and difficult parts of the game, making your HC all the more rounded and skilled and enjoyable... Starting out with HC would be incredably discouraging.

Oh yea...you don't want to start out in HC. You want to have a good understanding of game mechanics first. Knowing what can kill you is important...and the only way to know that is experience. Definitely spend plenty of time in SC before you make the move to HC.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I could never play in hardcore because I never play alone, and having 1 person die in a dedicated group means either playing without them, rerolling with them, or stopping play while they solo reroll and try to catch up. None sound appealing.

Hardcore makes tons more sense as a solo thing IMO.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I could never play in hardcore because I never play alone, and having 1 person die in a dedicated group means either playing without them, rerolling with them, or stopping play while they solo reroll and try to catch up. None sound appealing.

Hardcore makes tons more sense as a solo thing IMO.

My group has wanted to play hardcore for about a year now. We have one player though that just cannot stay alive. The last three month league we played 6 hours the first night together. I didn't die at all and my brother died one time. The friend in question died 99 times in those 6 hours. That's a death about every 6 minutes. He has the best PC in the group, and he plays more hours than the rest of us combined. He just can't stay alive.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
He needs to make a tank, it sounds like.

It's possible to build characters that can facetank damn near anything.

They kill slow as crap, but they can tank everything.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
He needs to make a tank, it sounds like.

It's possible to build characters that can facetank damn near anything.

They kill slow as crap, but they can tank everything.

This is mainly early game. He does significantly better late game, but he can't get there in hardcore leagues. You think sword and board from the get-go would work for him?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
This is mainly early game. He does significantly better late game, but he can't get there in hardcore leagues. You think sword and board from the get-go would work for him?

Most likely just needs to sit back. Sounds like he plays the way my son did until I told him to stop running into the middle of pack of 50 chicken shooting blues.

Once you have instant recovery flasks and some decent gear, that works fine. But not during the level up process.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
@ Carnage Heart: Always been a GODAWFUL amulet because of the reduced life/ES. The leech, however, is still the same *relative to other leech values*. Leech as a whole was reworked in 2.0, values are 20% what they were before, but leech can "stack" (meaning leech actually works on AoE and super fast attacks like Barrage now!)

Originally, leech stacked and was high. First they nerfed it to stop stacking. And then later they were so kind as to revert that nerf, while nerfing all leach to 20% of original value.

Overall, it's still a big nerf from it's original real value.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Correct, but that nerf took place with Sacrifice of the Vaal, and it didn't stack intuitively then either (it didn't stack leech effects, only the strongest effect took place, up to leech rate cap, but the weaker effects queued up after the stronger effect ended).

Leech from Forsaken Masters -> Awakening is heavily nerfed for hard single hit builds, nerfed by 50% for Vaal Pact (from 40% leech effect to 100% of new leech -> 40% to 20%), mildly-nerfed-or-buffed for multi/rapid hit skills, depending on the exact skill/build.

The problem is that the best-case scenario for new leech still leaves LGOH as the superior mechanic for all attacks, meaning only casters have to care about leech... and they're hit the hardest.

Leech is currently in a good place for exactly three builds: Firestorm-based builds, Whispering Ice builds, and Voltaxic Rift builds (because of Hungry Abyss jewel + Atziri Flask insane synergy)

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I have Lightning Coil... you must have missed that part :)
That being said, I went back to old helm and it's sort of toss up.

With Abyssus, my DPS is so damned high I clear out areas before most things can even attack. But IF they happen to hit me, I can get into trouble.

Without Abyssus, my DPS is much lower and I can't clear the screen as fast. But if I get hit, I can take the damage.

Had another Exalted drop this morning. :)

Might pick up another Hyrri's Ire again (sold mine for an 1E) and keep debating.

So got my HP to around 4k Capped resists (way over so room for uniques)
17k base Dps with only Auras+frost golem and around 30-34k procced.
I cannot imagine what dps I would do with some Jewels+Attack Speed Gloves etc, let alone Abyss.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Correct, but that nerf took place with Sacrifice of the Vaal, and it didn't stack intuitively then either (it didn't stack leech effects, only the strongest effect took place, up to leech rate cap, but the weaker effects queued up after the stronger effect ended).

Leech from Forsaken Masters -> Awakening is heavily nerfed for hard single hit builds, nerfed by 50% for Vaal Pact (from 40% leech effect to 100% of new leech -> 40% to 20%), mildly-nerfed-or-buffed for multi/rapid hit skills, depending on the exact skill/build.

The problem is that the best-case scenario for new leech still leaves LGOH as the superior mechanic for all attacks, meaning only casters have to care about leech... and they're hit the hardest.

Leech is currently in a good place for exactly three builds: Firestorm-based builds, Whispering Ice builds, and Voltaxic Rift builds (because of Hungry Abyss jewel + Atziri Flask insane synergy)

Crazy, I never really liked leech in my firestorm build. Even doing insane damage, It didn't really appear to help much. I think it is capped at 20% of your life per second, right? In .5 seconds I can take 4K damage. I find relying on flasks much better. Sure, nothing says we can't do both, but I didn't find LL did much (for me)

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
It definitely caps at 20% per second, and yes, flasks are still better. The point was more "these are the abilities that can reasonably actually reach 20% per second single-target"

20% regen per second is an INSANE amount.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
New skill tree is up. Some interesting changes. Not exactly sure how I feel about it. The coolest change they announced is that searing bond now gets an extra totem. I've actually played some searing bond and it always needed this!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1488902

Ohhhh will have to check this out tonight.
Is today the last day for Darkshrine?

I think I'll go back to playing my dual-totem for a while. Get her the gear she deserves too.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
With these skill tree changes I think I can make my planned Talisman EK Scion a crit build.

Neat.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
With these skill tree changes I think I can make my planned Talisman EK Scion a crit build.

Neat.

I think I'll do a Cast on Crit build with the new physical spells or EK. Have to test a bit, but I like the way the tree looks for CoC now. Lots of options...

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I'm honestly not a fan of any form of melee CoC, mostly because Cyclone is the best triggerskill by a large margin, and I'm very over Cyclone.

None of the new phys spells look like they'd play nice with ranged CoC (because ranged CoC needs GMP, and none of the new phys spells do well with GMP). MAYBE Barrage Chain CoC with EK, since you could do that without GMP and EK LOVES Chain.

In doing a more thorough look-through on trees, I think I will actually be a Shadow, not a Scion. With my planned pathing I will get more crit and more physical damage and still ~150% life with 4 jewel nodes instead of 6 by level 80. Main question is defenses, and I think I'm honestly just going to run EK on blood magic and do Blasphemy-Assassin's Mark-Enfeeble with a Doedre's ring to enable dual curse. Enfeeble should be enough to deny random oneshots, and it won't be possible to make this build tanky enough to facetank things like Kole (I'll make my girlfriend do the facetanking!).

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I'm honestly not a fan of any form of melee CoC, mostly because Cyclone is the best triggerskill by a large margin, and I'm very over Cyclone.

None of the new phys spells look like they'd play nice with ranged CoC (because ranged CoC needs GMP, and none of the new phys spells do well with GMP). MAYBE Barrage Chain CoC with EK, since you could do that without GMP and EK LOVES Chain.

In doing a more thorough look-through on trees, I think I will actually be a Shadow, not a Scion. With my planned pathing I will get more crit and more physical damage and still ~150% life with 4 jewel nodes instead of 6 by level 80. Main question is defenses, and I think I'm honestly just going to run EK on blood magic and do Blasphemy-Assassin's Mark-Enfeeble with a Doedre's ring to enable dual curse. Enfeeble should be enough to deny random oneshots, and it won't be possible to make this build tanky enough to facetank things like Kole (I'll make my girlfriend do the facetanking!).

I need to chat to you about the new skill tree.
Since you have played so many classes your advice will be very helpful :)