parler has been taken off the google play store

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The whole point of Parler was to have less restrictive terms of service than the other social networks, so those conservative type folks who thought that they were being censored by Facebook would have a place to meet without fear of that.

By trying to deplatform them, they're basically enforcing their beliefs that "big tech is out to get us". If it wasn't true before, it sure as hell looks like it now to them.
Yes, this is true. Conservatives think when they are made to abide by the same rules as everyone else they are being picked on.

This is because conservatives don’t actually care about free speech - they want special privileges.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, this is true. Conservatives think when they are made to abide by the same rules as everyone else they are being picked on.

This is because conservatives don’t actually care about free speech - they want special privileges.

100% this.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The whole point of Parler was to have less restrictive terms of service than the other social networks, so those conservative type folks who thought that they were being censored by Facebook would have a place to meet without fear of that.

By trying to deplatform them, they're basically enforcing their beliefs that "big tech is out to get us". If it wasn't true before, it sure as hell looks like it now to them.
But Parlour is still going to have abide by the TOS of whatever services it is using. They can't unilaterally decide what their relationship there is.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Its bizarre. It's like conservatives aren't even pretending to themselves now that they are decent people that can abide by the rules of civil society.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
On Android phones, you can download third-party apps by enabling that feature and then manually installing the .apk file. Epic did this to get around the Play Store ban on Fortnite.

What worries me is that Google just created the need for "Conservative Friendly" App Stores. Some of them are probably going to become breeding grounds for malware.
You are concerned about a bunch of RWNJ installing malware?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Should we go easy on Al Queda then? Let them run wild on any social media app that want? Plot acts of violence and openly?

They plotted to fly a plane into the capital to murder Congress.

MAGA sent in an armed mob hell bent on assassination of Congress and the VP. They violently attacked and murdered police.

What's the difference?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What worries me is that Google just created the need for "Conservative Friendly" App Stores. Some of them are probably going to become breeding grounds for malware.

Third party app stores aren't Googles problem, they are responsible for what's on their app store not anyone else's.
Google also isn't responsible if you ignore their security warnings and install dubious apps from the QRazies on your phone.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Should we go easy on Al Queda then? Let them run wild on any social media app that want? Plot acts of violence and openly?

They plotted to fly a plane into the capital to murder Congress.

MAGA sent in an armed mob hell bent on assassination of Congress and the VP. They violently attacked and murdered police.

What's the difference?
It’s amazing how right wing Twitter is trying to pretend that an armed mob didn’t just storm the legislature and beat a police officer to death with a fire extinguisher.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
If you do not allow Republicans to speak.....
Violence will be the only resource when you end "civil" discourse.
They are going to freak out and organize terror cells.

Honestly don't know if this sort of confrontation to silence them will end up with a better or worse result in the end.
Yeah that makes total sense, I mean it’s not like history totally fucking disagrees with you. We all know that had trump not had access to tools that allows him to speak directly to his followers that the violence would have been worse, because reasons./eye roll
No social media, no extremist forums, slow dial up internet for most of the country who even had computers, no Fox News, no proud boys, and definitely no Trump, yet we had this when the government went after an obscure religious group no one heard of and definitely wasn't a threat to the country.

which resulted in this

Are you still willing to disagree with history?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No social media, no extremist forums, slow dial up internet for most of the country who even had computers, no Fox News, no proud boys, and definitely no Trump, yet we had this when the government went after an obscure religious group no one heard of and definitely wasn't a threat to the country.

which resulted in this

Are you still willing to disagree with history?

Helping those held captive by cult leaders should be something we all support.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's not quite that simple. On Apple devices, getting delisted from the App Store is basically the deathblow for your application on that platform. Epic is already suing them about removing Fortnite from it.

I would think that the Supreme Court would love to answer the "Can a giant tech company use their monopoly power to silence dissent" question if given the chance.

they aren't silencing dissent. there are plenty of platforms that are available to these sub-human wretches. What they are learning is the consequences of free speech. If they are constantly having to go somewhere else to be heard because so few people want to listen to their shit, then maybe they should learn a lesson? No, they won't? They refuse to do the work to make their own platform amenable and successful enough to their own standards? well, that's too bad for them, but no one has ever guaranteed them a right that anyone else has to listen to their fucking horseshit. No one.

why do conservatives feel that they need to destroy half of everyone else's rights just because they believe their feelings have been hurt? Why do conservatives think this way? Instead of accepting the proper analysis that "No one wants to listen to my 3rd grade poisonous vomit of an ideology," they continue to demand that companies create for them a protected safe space that is oh so very special from what the rest of modern humanity has determined to be "how adults behave." You know the only way it works, right? To finally find your safe space when the rest of the world rejected you? The only time that has been successful is one those bitch Pilgrims got kicked out by the DUTCH. THE DUTCH! and had to sail across a fucking ocean and live in the forest of an untamed land. No one likes conservatives. Fucking no one. It's a historical fact. These little bitches are learning the lesson that their pilgrim ancestors learned centuries ago. So, they better go find their own island and start making their own rules, and just detach from humanity. It is the only way they are going to get what they want, because, necessarily, there are no laws or no rational policy that grants them their fantasy demands.

Fuck them, and fuck this idea that rights must be suspended for everyone simply because these basic bitches are too fucking fragile to have their feels hurt.

And yeah, take it to the supreme court. You might continue to be surprised, as every other conservative that hasn't been paying attention, forever, that your "conservative supreme court fantasy" was only ever about exercising corporate domination and unfettered control over people, and not those precious conservative social issues like "saving the cells!" or "making it legal to hate on the gays!" Are you then going to complain that the supreme court that was promised to you and literally described what it would be, is not the supreme court that you wanted it to be? LoL if you think they are going to rule that Google and Apple treat some mewling group of pathetic bitches as somehow special from the rest of the world; that they don't have to abide by the same platform rules that everyone has been perfectly fine with. Lol at that.

Illiteracy has consequences. I suggest you conservatives start reintroducing yourselves to the world if you want to maintain relevance.

The broader question: When do you being to accept that it actually is your ideas that are fucking wrong? After years and years of pretty much everyone rejecting these things you say and believe, of being turned away from normal society, when do you accept "Oh, maybe I should consider these things that I believe and that I say?" Rather than assume that it is everyone else who is wrong, and that no, my ignorance in literally everything is just as valid as all other experts'; that if people keep telling me that they don't want to hear me, it just means I need to YELL LOUDER until they can't hear anything else! Why were conservatives raised to be such entitled, obtuse, ignorant bastards? I still don't understand this. When the world is very clearly telling you that it doesn't want to deal with your shit and that there is literally no space left for your nonsense, why not choose to live in the world?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
Somebody mentioned it's hosted on AWS?

WhoIs shows the domain registrar to be Dreamhost. Can't either or both be persuaded to cut the cord? Or do we want it to remain on line to allow the FBI and SS to monitor and ID offenders? Then again, can we trust the FBI and SS?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Shit. I missed that. :(
Facts are thin on the story. He was hit on the head with a fire extinguisher, no one seems to know where, when, or how, there is no video that I've been able to find. There is a second story that claims he had a stroke.
He wasn't beaten to death at the scene, he was back in his office when he collapsed. It appears that it was a single blow to the head. Hopefully video comes out so the perp can charged. Since every idiot wandering around the scene was taking video, it seems likely.

Reactions: Pohemi

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Facts are thin on the story. He was hit on the head with a fire extinguisher, no one seems to know where, when, or how, there is no video that I've been able to find. There is a second story that claims he had a stroke.
He wasn't beaten to death at the scene, he was back in his office when he collapsed. It appears that it was a single blow to the head. Hopefully video comes out so the perp can charged. Since every idiot wandering around the scene was taking video, it seems likely.
Bolded seems about right for a blow to the head with a fire extinguisher. I'd assume that they know where, when and the how but its the who.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
For fucks sake! They aren't getting shut down because they are Republicans they are getting shut down because they are festering pits that violent actions are planned in.
Your logic only works if we all accept that republican is synonymous with violent sociopathic arsehole.

Oh, will the real Republicans please stand up? They sort of had their chance back in 2015, and especially 2016. Not a word from them in 2020 either.

Not all, but I think a good portion of those 74m voters are neck deep in the alt-reality bubble and feel under attack right now. They feel cornered. When push comes to shove lines are drawn and the appeal of walking that line loses its glamor. You push, they shove. Move and counter move. They do not need to be as you described. They just have to identify with your targets and feel assaulted.

Anyone censored online is going to react badly to having their corner of the internet under siege. After all, they view it as merely a place to talk free without "liberals" silencing them. First we stole the election, then we silence them. What's next, gun legislation? They think so. I keep hearing !@#$ about an annual tax for owning a gun, and 10 years in prison if you don't pay or surrender your 2A.

Republicans have a LOT of work to do to prove there's any space between them and their creation.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
LoL if you think they are going to rule that Google and Apple treat some mewling group of pathetic bitches as somehow special from the rest of the world; that they don't have to abide by the same platform rules that everyone has been perfectly fine with. Lol at that.

Its fucking worrying that its impossible for them to get their message across without transgressing those rules!

They are either fucking idiots that cant express a political ideology without going off the rails or that the actual ideology they are trying to spread is impossible to do without transgressing societal norms. Both of those options are terrible.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh, will the real Republicans please stand up? They sort of had their chance back in 2015, and especially 2016. Not a word from them in 2020 either.

Not all, but I think a good portion of those 74m voters are neck deep in the alt-reality bubble and feel under attack right now. They feel cornered. When push comes to shove lines are drawn and the appeal of walking that line loses its glamor. You push, they shove. Move and counter move. They do not need to be as you described. They just have to identify with your targets and feel assaulted.

Anyone censored online is going to react badly to having their corner of the internet under siege. After all, they view it as merely a place to talk free without "liberals" silencing them. First we stole the election, then we silence them. What's next, gun legislation? They think so. I keep hearing !@#$ about an annual tax for owning a gun, and 10 years in prison if you don't pay or surrender your 2A.

Republicans have a LOT of work to do to prove there's any space between them and their creation.
Your post is the exact reason that no one wants them on their platform, and its an absolutely legitimate reason not to have them on there.

Basically what you are describing is morons getting radicalised online. We absolutely shut down other forms of online radicalisation. You don't let that shit fester.