parler has been taken off the google play store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Why would Google and Apple ban those apps?

Because people like you, who live in an alternative reality, think overthrowing this nations capital and killing their fellow citizens is ok. Why do you support domestic terrorists and traitors being able to communicate freely? If these were Muslims what would your response be to this whole situation? I can tell you you wouldn’t be posting such stupid questions.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you do not allow Republicans to speak.....
Violence will be the only resource when you end "civil" discourse.
They are going to freak out and organize terror cells.

Honestly don't know if this sort of confrontation to silence them will end up with a better or worse result in the end.

Yeah that makes total sense, I mean it’s not like history totally fucking disagrees with you. We all know that had trump not had access to tools that allows him to speak directly to his followers that the violence would have been worse, because reasons./eye roll

Dec 10, 2005
You just want to make excuses.

We are already past the point of having domestic terrorism. It’s been going on since Charlottesville and has escalated with plots against state and local officials that have been on going since Spring.

It hasn’t helped the feds were told to stand down on domestic terrorism because they are Trump supporters. There will be domestic terrorism over the next decade but starting in Jan 2021 alt right, far right and other anti govt groups will start being investigated and rounded up. We won’t get them all but we will get most of them. It will be easy to do because they are the stupidest motherfuckers.
They're just trying to sweep their fomenting of terrorism under the rug by claiming 'lone wolves', all while continuing their reprehensible speech that is basically a giant wink wink, nudge nudge for right wing terrorism.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's not quite that simple. On Apple devices, getting delisted from the App Store is basically the deathblow for your application on that platform. Epic is already suing them about removing Fortnite from it.

I would think that the Supreme Court would love to answer the "Can a giant tech company use their monopoly power to silence dissent" question if given the chance.
Not this again. You have no right for Apple to provide you with a place for your app to be downloaded. To argue otherwise is to ignore the free association meaning of the first amendment. You have absolutely no right for any private entity to give you a platform for your ideas.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Why would Google and Apple ban those apps?
Because Google and Apple are Corporations that have the freedom to decide what apps it allows in it's app stores. DUH.

Just like Hobby Lobby is allowed to not provide health insurance that covers birth control for women to people whom decide to be employed by them.

Was it really that hard to mentally configure that into your brain?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
WTF? They already are. They have already plotted to kill multiple Governors and now Congressmen.

civil discourse is not plotting insurrection and sedition.

What have they done so far? They panicked a bunch of idiots into thinking we stole the election.

It seems, IMO, to be far too late to silence the alt-reality bubble. Maybe I am wrong, it'd be nice if pushing back merely collapsed the void. But they are Americans. They are paranoid, armed, and dangerous. Cold and calculated moves may be required to better position ourselves before setting up for a direct conflict. A Friday night massacre on social media intended to silence them is one heck of a direct attack.

You are eliciting moves and counter moves at this point.

There will be domestic terrorism over the next decade but starting in Jan 2021 alt right, far right and other anti govt groups will start being investigated and rounded up. We won’t get them all but we will get most of them. It will be easy to do because they are the stupidest motherfuckers.

A smart group among them would target the tools of investigation. Internet and electricity. Without that there is no intelligence gathering as we are familiar with in the modern age. It might also drive the public against them. OTOH, an even smarter group might find a way to twist that scorched earth approach. Let us hope none among them can blow out a candle.

I am afraid we'll find, one day, that crazy does not require stupidity.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's not quite that simple. On Apple devices, getting delisted from the App Store is basically the deathblow for your application on that platform. Epic is already suing them about removing Fortnite from it.

I would think that the Supreme Court would love to answer the "Can a giant tech company use their monopoly power to silence dissent" question if given the chance.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the First Amendment or "silencing dissent." The maker of Fortnite is suing Apple under anti-trust law, which is only applicable because the dispute is really over fees. It's about money, not speech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
What have they done so far? They panicked a bunch of idiots into thinking we stole the election.

It seems, IMO, to be far too late to silence the alt-reality bubble. Maybe I am wrong, it'd be nice if pushing back merely collapsed the void. But they are Americans. They are paranoid, armed, and dangerous. Cold and calculated moves may be required to better position ourselves before setting up for a direct conflict. A Friday night massacre on social media intended to silence them is one heck of a direct attack.

You are eliciting moves and counter moves at this point.

A smart group among them would target the tools of investigation. Internet and electricity. Without that there is no intelligence gathering as we are familiar with in the modern age. It might also drive the public against them. OTOH, an even smarter group might find a way to twist that scorched earth approach. Let us hope none among them can blow out a candle.

I am afraid we'll find, one day, that crazy does not require stupidity.

I keep going back and forth on this. But realize that in the past few months, these groups have already stormed the MI state house, tried to kidnap the MI and OH governors, and then we saw what happened this week in DC and Washington State. It has rapidly escalated already, even before this "silencing."

Someone on twitter had a good take on this: you have to almost treat this as a counterterrorism move at this point.

Maybe it's time we shut down their means of communication/planning of mass violence "until we can figure out what the hell is going on."

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Funny, I flagged this app as inappropriate just a few hours ago and they finally took it down.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Parler has refused the censor the right wing extremists who were rooting for their least favorite congresscritter to get killed by the protestors who stormed the Capitol building, and Google and Apple consider that to be against their terms of service.

This is probably going to make for an interesting 1st Amendment Supreme Court case someday... assuming that Parler is still alive by then. They're getting a huge influx of new users, but they're probably going to have problems getting advertising.
Section 230 also doesn't protect against illegal content. A seditious conspiracy is most definitely illegal.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
If you do not allow Republicans to speak.....
Violence will be the only resource when you end "civil" discourse.
They are going to freak out and organize terror cells.

Honestly don't know if this sort of confrontation to silence them will end up with a better or worse result in the end.
At least it will make it significantly harder for them to recruit new cult members. And also much harder for them to coordinate their terrorism, which they are currently doing out in the open on these platforms.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
At least it will make it significantly harder for them to recruit new cult members. And also much harder for them to coordinate their terrorism, which they are currently doing out in the open on these platforms.
Can they post through a web browser though?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I keep going back and forth on this. But realize that in the past few months, these groups have already stormed the MI state house, tried to kidnap the MI and OH governors, and then we saw what happened this week in DC and Washington State. It has rapidly escalated already, even before this "silencing."

Someone on twitter had a good take on this: you have to almost treat this as a counterterrorism move at this point.

Maybe it's time we shut down their means of communication/planning of mass violence "until we can figure out what the hell is going on."

I honestly do not know the correct answer. Pushing back now is certainly one option. And maybe public opinion can win the day. But look at how many votes they got. When push comes to shove, lines are drawn. And if we are ill prepared then they can muster many more of the 74 million to join them. I do not know how many millions of the faithful we can handle. 19 terrorists wounded a nation and changed the course of our history on 911.

The threat from within, today, is many orders of magnitude beyond 19 men. I fret over tactics. Of how to best win the war. You see, how I view it is if they engage and start something widespread - then they may have already achieved their goal. For the outcome may not be anything as nice as we'd like to imagine. Unfortunately the truth is there might not be any winners. Or opportunities. Just the madness of engagement, where we all suffer losses.

I can only hope they are too few to cause the sort of damage I imagine.

Reactions: gothuevos

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Their cloud provider is also threatening Parler to moderate like Twitter. No server, no website, no service.
This is a coordinated attack by all tech giants.

Republican's only safe refuge for "free" speech is either under the radar, a black market of sorts... or to be hosted by another country, such as Russia.

Oh, third option. They could stand their ground and seize control of enough resources to operate their own services from the ground up. That'd take the backing of a State government though. For boycotts would fly hot and heavy - and court battles galore until a Governor tells the outside / federal court to !@#$ off.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I assume so. But friction still hurts recruiting and useage.

The real problem, though, is the big tech companies basically doing the recruitment and brain washing for them by slowly taking them down a rabbit hole and feeding them more and more BS.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Well thank goodness neither Apple nor Google have a monopoly on the internet...or computers.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I honestly do not know the correct answer. Pushing back now is certainly one option. And maybe public opinion can win the day. But look at how many votes they got. When push comes to shove, lines are drawn. And if we are ill prepared then they can muster many more of the 74 million to join them. I do not know how many millions of the faithful we can handle. 19 terrorists wounded a nation and changed the course of our history on 911.

The threat from within, today, is many orders of magnitude beyond 19 men. I fret over tactics. Of how to best win the war. You see, how I view it is if they engage and start something widespread - then they may have already achieved their goal. For the outcome may not be anything as nice as we'd like to imagine. Unfortunately the truth is there might not be any winners. Or opportunities. Just the madness of engagement, where we all suffer losses.

I can only hope they are too few to cause the sort of damage I imagine.

I share many of those same concerns...but it is also madness for these groups to just be plotting attacks out in the open with the means to spread/recruit/communicate at will. At some point it's just a basic public health hazard.

I don't know the best answer, either. It seems like everything is a rallying cry to them.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Of course they can...just go to parler.com, it works nice in a browser. No app needed. Little snowflakes, tho, need help because using a web browser is just tooooo hard for them, what with all that righteous righty rage they contain, making it impossible to use anything but a phone app.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I doubt they would love to answer that because they already have and the answer is obviously ‘yes’.

Twitter is a private company - it can limit speech on its private property (Twitter.com) to its heart’s content.

This type of convenient confusion runs rampant with conservatives. The first amendment protects you ONLY from the government limiting your speech. Private companies can do whatever they want. For example if Anandtech wanted to ban you and delete all your speech for preferring AMD over Intel they could if they felt like it.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Their cloud provider is also threatening Parler to moderate like Twitter. No server, no website, no service.

Republican's only safe refuge for "free" speech is either under the radar, a black market of sorts... or to be hosted by another country, such as Russia.

Oh, third option. They could stand their ground and seize control of enough resources to operate their own services from the ground up. That'd take the backing of a State government though. For boycotts would fly hot and heavy - and court battles galore until a Governor tells the outside / federal court to !@#$ off.
For fucks sake! They aren't getting shut down because they are Republicans they are getting shut down because they are festering pits that violent actions are planned in.
Your logic only works if we all accept that republican is synonymous with violent sociopathic arsehole.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Oh no! Or you know, they can just follow the ToS for their preferred app. Let's.just keep in mind that their own boycotts of FB and TW are fueled by the lies of conspiracy theorists who violated the ToS so many times that FB or TW had.to act, finally. They didn't want to because lies generate more clicks and ad revenue that facts.

I have family members who are hardcore conservatives that were convinced FB was censoring their posts, turns out they just didn't know how to use it, or how it works.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Oh no! Or you know, they can just follow the ToS for their preferred app. Let's.just keep in mind that their own boycotts of FB and TW are fueled by the lies of conspiracy theorists who violated the ToS so many times that FB or TW had.to act, finally. They didn't want to because lies generate more clicks and ad revenue that facts.

I have family members who are hardcore conservatives that were convinced FB was censoring their posts, turns out they just didn't know how to use it, or how it works.

The whole point of Parler was to have less restrictive terms of service than the other social networks, so those conservative type folks who thought that they were being censored by Facebook would have a place to meet without fear of that.

By trying to deplatform them, they're basically enforcing their beliefs that "big tech is out to get us". If it wasn't true before, it sure as hell looks like it now to them.